Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:39 pm

pink haze wrote:@Rider: My sisters were laughing at me so much before the contest 'cuz I kept looking at you and going 'OMG It's Rider4Z she's standing like right there.' I didn't even get up to talk to you, I'm such a coward!
i'm framing this.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:57 pm

xstylus wrote: Some will argue with me on this, but the bottom line is to make something entertaining. There were vids entered that were technically impressive but were boring as hell, and then there were vids that had simple cuts but were thoroughly entertaining.
Exactly, and that's, to a degree, what the point I was trying to make earlier. Once you can put editing and bias aside, you look at execution and what you get out of the video. If the video is well edited but bores you to death, it doesn't mean the video is bad. It's just boring to you. This is where the varying opinions comes into play and why I said a judging pool should consist of different opinions because one video that might be boring to one person but might be visual pleasing to another. Has nothing to do with how well the video was edited. But in the same sense, to be fair, editing should be considered very important non-the-less. Otherwise you get videos that might be entertaining but are also just the opening to an anime set to different music.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:59 pm

There is a reason Pwolf is the king :3

Rapter79
Org Profile

Post by Rapter79 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:02 pm

That just leads to catering to your audience, which i have a problem with many times.

There are reasons major blockbusters typically don't win academy awards, even though they please the fans. The question is, what is the purpose of the AMV contest, and what makes a good AMV need to be more widely adopted and known.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:There is a reason Pwolf is the king :3
Yea, Ryan and Chang are jerks :P

I forgot to add that while, yes, AMV contests are meant to entertain those who attend the con, it's also a contest. Those who participate want to be judged based on their skills and abilities not based on which video is more entertaining. If you were to show only the most, subjectively, entertaining videos that were submitted, mind as well just drop the contest part of the contest and just show videos. You have to find the balance between putting on a fair contest and giving the audience the best show you can.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Pwolf wrote:You have to find the balance between putting on a fair contest and giving the audience the best show you can.
i think this year's contest accomplished that, and a good chunk of credit for that i think goes to the number of quality videos entered the judges had to choose from.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
Pwolf wrote:You have to find the balance between putting on a fair contest and giving the audience the best show you can.
i think this year's contest accomplished that, and a good chunk of credit for that i think goes to the number of quality videos entered the judges had to choose from.

It took a step towards that, but I still don't believe that it was accomplished. A large number of excellent videos didn't even get considered or make the preshow. The contest, while taking small steps in the right direction, is still far from being a excellent one.

I don't believe there will ever be a time that everyone will agree on the finalists and such, but there were still obvious problems with the videos that made it in. And considering how AX likes to boast the numbers pertaining to the amount of entries it receives, it makes it very difficult to believe that those were really the best.

Rapter79
Org Profile

Post by Rapter79 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
Rider4Z wrote:

It took a step towards that, but I still don't believe that it was accomplished. A large number of excellent videos didn't even get considered or make the preshow. The contest, while taking small steps in the right direction, is still far from being a excellent one.

I don't believe there will ever be a time that everyone will agree on the finalists and such, but there were still obvious problems with the videos that made it in. And considering how AX likes to boast the numbers pertaining to the amount of entries it receives, it makes it very difficult to believe that those were really the best.
+1

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:I don't believe there will ever be a time that everyone will agree on the finalists and such...
this.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:I don't believe there will ever be a time that everyone will agree on the finalists and such...
this.

But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive for improvement.

Return to “AMV Contests”