Advanced Special Effects: How do they do them?

A.H.
Org Profile

Advanced Special Effects: How do they do them?

Post by A.H. » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:57 am

Where do I begin?

This is an exciting time for me. Fairly soon, I’ll be getting several things I need to make a high-quality AMV. DVD Drive, DVDs, Anti-Virus software, RAM, WinXP, etc. And that’s all great, but I look at some of the best videos on the website, and then I look at what I’m going to get. How do I use them to get a good video like those?

MediaStudio doesn’t just have transition effects and video filters that do some of these things:

Koopisveka’s Euphoria:
Overlaying several tracks, cutting them into shapes, and most importantly, getting them to move in a set pattern.

VicBond007’s Bebop 007:
Creating 3-D characters, getting them to move in a set pattern, and overlaying them on the video.

AbsoluteDestiny’s Shameless Rock Video:
Making it seem like a camera is bouncing all around the video, and having 2-4 different clips playing at once, but not overlayed and trasparent. They’re like split screens.

Taskmasta’s Anxiety:
Creating an image with several images on them, making it seem like a camera is moving throughout the pictures, and videos are playing in them at the same time.

I know this is going to sound very n00bish, but I’m going to try and make it sound as professional as I can. How does one go about doing these things? Are they several hundred still pictures placed one right after the other? Not likely. Are the images drawn by hand? That’s just nuts.

Someone has already said they would help me to learn how to use Media Studio better (God bless him), but I can’t help but look at these videos and wonder “How do they do it, and why can‘t I? It’s not like they have some super-magic computer than can do things no other computer can.”

I realize that this is already going to get some responses like “I hope you’re ready to learn” or “You can’t just jump into super-advanced special effects.” I know. I know this is going to take time before I can get everything down pat. But I might as well start now.

Any brave souls out there?

Warpwind
Org Profile

Re: Advanced Special Effects: How do they do them?

Post by Warpwind » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:17 am

A.H. wrote: Koopisveka’s Euphoria:
Overlaying several tracks, cutting them into shapes, and most importantly, getting them to move in a set pattern.

VicBond007’s Bebop 007:
Creating 3-D characters, getting them to move in a set pattern, and overlaying them on the video.

AbsoluteDestiny’s Shameless Rock Video:
Making it seem like a camera is bouncing all around the video, and having 2-4 different clips playing at once, but not overlayed and trasparent. They’re like split screens.

Taskmasta’s Anxiety:
Creating an image with several images on them, making it seem like a camera is moving throughout the pictures, and videos are playing in them at the same time.
Koop's video was made with Magix and MSpaint I think. Basically it's a prime example of being able to do fantastic stuff with inexpensive software (and a whole lot of smarts and time). Don't ask me how he did it I just don't know.

Vicbond007 and AbsoluteDestiny use Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Which are both fairly expensive programs. Still a lot of people like them. (including me) I don't know if the 3D text was an After Effects thing but I'd say it was. It's entirely possible that AD wrote the scripts for some of his effects.

You can do the stuff described in Taskmasta's vid (note I haven't seen it) in premiere. I think you are talking about masking here. Hiding part of a clip so only a portion is visible.

I don't know MediaStudio but odds are that it does have some effects that you can do in it. I assume you've read all the help files etc. Some programs have "drag and drop" effects that are practically done for you. Still I really wouldn't get too caught up in effects. Too much and it will kill your vid. But if you are just out to try some new things and enjoy yourself by all means go ahead.

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:06 am

Warpwind wrote: You can do the stuff described in Taskmasta's vid (note I haven't seen it) in premiere. I think you are talking about masking here. Hiding part of a clip so only a portion is visible.
If he is referring to the comic book style effects in Task's vid, that was all done in After Effects.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:07 am

Warpwind wrote:You can do the stuff described in Taskmasta's vid (note I haven't seen it) in premiere. I think you are talking about masking here. Hiding part of a clip so only a portion is visible.
He makes it look like your scaning over a comic book with frames of video that go along to the music. Pretty good use of motion settings. You should see it.

As for using Media Studio... I haven't used that in a long time so I can't really help you... otherwise... :|

Maybe El Farlo can help you.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:09 am

MJ >_< grrrrr!!!!

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:58 am

Good luck on finding out "how" exactly these people did it as thats a pretty well gaurded secret.

The only thing I do know is that they all used Adobe Premiere and/or Adobe After Effects. If you hop on aim I'll sell it to you at 45kbs.

:up:

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:59 am

Beowulf wrote:Good luck on finding out "how" exactly these people did it as thats a pretty well gaurded secret
There's no secrets about my videos. A lot of it is revealed in the video information. Anything else will happily be answered in PM or email.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:03 pm

A.H. wrote:Are they several hundred still pictures placed one right after the other? Not likely. Are the images drawn by hand? That’s just nuts.
In some cases that "advanced effect" you're looking at is something done one frame at a time. Effect work is more about vision and patience than having the MOST ADVANCED PROGRAM EVAR.

I also don't know where you get this idea that crazy effects = professional.

doughboy
Org Profile

Post by doughboy » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:14 pm

The only way to successfully learn how to do amazing effects, the correct way, is to spend sometime learning the software. Most people do get lucky and learn on their own, but they learn them on their own and won't share. That's how it should be, cause a guide explaining each effect takes almost as much effort as doing the effect itself.

A book on After Effects is highly recommended, as I would know little about the program without one. My pick for that is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books. Fantastic book, one that I recommend to anyone who already can't make AE bow to them.

A college education in animation doesn't hurt either. :wink:

If none of these are options for you, then don't do amazing effects, do amazing editing and show that method of creativity.[/b]

doughboy
Org Profile

Post by doughboy » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:16 pm

Damnit, that last url stuff was supposed to be bold.

Hurray for mistakes and no ability to edit them.

Return to “Video Editing Software”