AVS Script trouble

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:48 pm

I think I might have found the problem.
The mjpeg source I edited with is 29 FPS, but the deinterlaced Huffy is 23 FPS.
I have a feeling adding AssumeFPS(29.97) after the deinterlacing commands might bring it back to where it should be.

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:20 pm

was it 29.97 to start with or 29? those fps are different (it's not a case of near engough is good engough for fps unfortunetly).

I only use assumefps(whatever) when it's really close to the fps anyway I'm not sure if 23 to 29.97 is too far you may end up with really fast footage.

alter the values in decimate until the huffyuv meets the fps you need. All your files in premiere should be the same fps.

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:35 pm

double posting
guides wrote:Decimate:

Cycle - The number tells decimate how regularly to remove a frame. For NTSC IVTC it is 1 in every 5 frames. Later you will see some examples where decimation is used differently or not at all..
Mode - The mode will govern what frame in a sequence gets deleted. This decision will affect how smooth the output will be. For a simple NTSC Telecine of anime, mode of 2 is best - you can read the decomb manual for info on the other modes.
more info here http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... etb3a.html

so you should just be able to add
Decimate(cycle=5, mode=2)
and it should be 29.97fps (I'm assuming your source is NTSC)
if it isn't alter the number next to cycle until you get the fps you want.

Also if you click "file information" in virtualdubmod it should give you all the info on the file including fps after running it through the .avs script.

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Source AVI = 29.97 FPS
mjpegs used to edit = 29.97 FPS
Re-encoded Huffy = 23.976 FPS

But I'll try Decimate(cycle=5, mode=2)

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:58 pm

I had to put cycle to the max (25), and even then I didn't get 29.97 FPS.
I got 28.77

I guess that's close enough to 29.97 to use AssumeFPS

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:20 am

Um, Decimate(cycle=5) will reduce 29.97fps to 23.976fps... if you want video at 29.97, you shouldn't be using this filter at all.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:47 am

OK, you said your using an avi file... what codec is your avi? does it play right outside of premiere? Like in Virtual Dub? it may be a bad codec or bad encode of a video... re-encoding the video might be a solution.... if the avs scripting dosnt work..

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:37 am

Is there a decent deinterlacing filter that won't alter my FPS?

When I started work on this video a year ago (and then forgot about it for 8 months) I didn't know about all of this stuff, so my timeline is all in 29.97fps.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:45 am

Ciato wrote:Is there a decent deinterlacing filter that won't alter my FPS?

When I started work on this video a year ago (and then forgot about it for 8 months) I didn't know about all of this stuff, so my timeline is all in 29.97fps.
Most deinterlacing filters won't change your FPS. EADFAG goes over a bunch of possibilities <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... l">here</a>; I've never used any of them myself.

Decimate is not, and never has been, a deinterlacing filter; all it does is get rid of extra frames.
(In fact, its partner function Telecide isn't really a deinterlacer either; it's a field matcher that uses a deinterlacer if it can't find a non-combed match and postprocessing is turned on.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:59 am

he was using telecide with decimate as his deinterlacer but the settings on decimate were probably incorrect giving him a different frame rate. I took the Decimate(cycle=5) from the EADFAG because it suggested that with telecide and NTSC (29.97) footage in.

Personally I use
TomsMoComp(1,5,1)
which I believe doesn't alter fps (it's in the amvapp)

but then I'm a PAL user so this stuff is a bit different and more difficult *cough* blending *cough* for me.

Return to “AviSynth Help”