Xam'd: Lost Memories

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:20 am

Giving this a second chance. Found a better source.

LeapofFate
The Madvillain
Org Profile

Post by LeapofFate » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:01 pm

I dig the art style.

It is another Bones series that will take time to sync in.

After taking the time, you will enjoy the series.
This is my guess though.

Heero_Yuy84
Org Profile

Post by Heero_Yuy84 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Well, since there's still no thread for this in the discussion section, might as well ask this here.

To anyone else still watching, your thoughts on where the series is currently at? (most notably in regards to Furuichi's changing for the worse within the last episode and the re-emergence of Raigyou.)
*Resident shameless Gundam fanboy*

SheeGee
Org Profile

Post by SheeGee » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:55 pm

i requested a series thread for this. might as well talk about it here since there aint a thread yet...

personally i love it so far. i like the whole relationship between akiyuki and haru. very touching. underneath it all, this show is basically a love story during a time of war (mm kinda like saikano) and how their problems forces them apart.

the artwork is really nice too. yay BONES!!

*wants a roppa plushie really bad T_T*

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Re: Xam'd: Lost Memories

Post by Ishbalan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:12 am

I second the request for a Series thread.

doughboy
Org Profile

Post by doughboy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:40 pm

I'm addicted to this show cause every episode is such a cock tease (plot wise, not visually).

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Excellent pacing. Each ep makes you want to see the next ep. [hence cocktease naturally]

The gals are hot so that does help a bit. [and fluffy chested too]

Studio Bones masterpiece perhaps...
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Well, this show just finished, and to be honest, I didn't like it all to much.

It gets credit for having one of the most unique, unpredictable plots ever, but there were some points where I was thinking, "Okay, why are these people even doing this?" It's hard to explain, but towards the end of the series, the minor characters began to overshadow the main characters, and the plot was put in a blender with bananas and cream. The major disappointment I have with this series is that there were not nearly enough Xam'd fights. It was similar to Outlaw Star, in that the main appeal of the show was that the ships had grappler arms, but through the 26 episode series, they were only used about 5 times. The biggest bummer was that immediately after using the Xam'd arm for LITERALLY ANY REASON, the character using it would immediately begin to be consumed by red stone (a plot point I never fully understood) and they would be helpless and dying for the rest of the fight, waiting for rescue.

Speaking of a lack of understanding, the setting itself was never quite explained either. I don't recall a history lesson being given on the war between whoever and as to why there are Humanforms and Xam'ds and why we almost had an Evangelion-similar ending with the "Quickening Chamber." It's all a lot to swallow without a clear explanation.
Spoiler :
Another thing that gets a big :down: is Raigyo's death. What the fuck? He was in one battle showing off his badass invincible Xam'd abilities, and later, without even going full Xam'd, he dies like a bitch from gunfire. Nice way to kill off the best character in your show, BONES faggots.
I am apparently alone in my complaints because everyone else I've talked to absolutely loved it, saying it's one of the best shows of the year. I also heard you'll have a lot better experience watching if you watch it in chunks rather than one episode at a time like I did.

Overall, it wasn't really a bad show, just mindbogglingly confusing at times. I say: 6.5/10

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:45 am

I thought the ending was gawdlike. Had a bit of a Tengan Toppa style epilogue with everyone all aged 9 years and such...

I think you're digging too deep into the explanations. Sometimes, when it comes to sci-fi anime such as this, you really should just take things at face value.

The red stone consumption I believe was explained as the product of what happens when you forget yourself according to Nakiami [mega hotz0rs btw]. Apparently, Xam'd possession rapes the minds and spirits of those possessed so you need an unusually strong spirit to manage one and prevent the stone from swallowing you.

And yes, Raigyo did NOT deserve that while Ishu must be the luckiest (or unluckiest) fanservice ever...

And I wholly disagree with you on the Evangelion style ending comparison. Xam'd's apocalypse is easier to tolerate than a world made of Tang and giant naked Rei. And on that topic, it's better than Ultimate Weapon Girl's finale too.

Xam'd fighting I suppose took a backseat toward the plot, especially with God Knows how many plot twists and flashbacks there were. My biggest peeve was how Akiyuki and Haru's relationship wasn't even mediocre. Kinda like how Clannad After Story's relationship between Nagisa and Tomoya is. UNACCEPTABLE! NEEDS MORE TOUCHY FEELY GARH!!!
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:50 pm

OmniStrata wrote:And I wholly disagree with you on the Evangelion style ending comparison. Xam'd's apocalypse is easier to tolerate than a world made of Tang and giant naked Rei. And on that topic, it's better than Ultimate Weapon Girl's finale too.
Well, as if you think about it on a conceptual level, you'll really notice the similarities. And it's nothing like the Saikano ending.
The connection I made was:
Evangelion:
The sleeping Lilith was awakened from the shock of Adam's egg being merged into his body. Lilith then transformed into a giant Godlike specter with wings in the appearance of Rei. Her presence dominated the sky and her influence caused all the humans remaining on Earth to lose their sense of individuality, and melt into LCL (or Tang). During this, the hero, Shinji, goes into the sky to confront Lilith and reverse the catastrophe, which he eventually does. Shinji and Asuka reawaken on the beach, having realized themselves, and await the rest of humanity to reconstruct itself.

Xam'd - Lost Memories:
Spoiler :
The sleeping Hiruken Emperor was awakened by the shock of the destruction of his containment chamber. He then transformed into a great winged creature and flew into the sky. Having the despair of life without a proper identity, the Hiruken Emperor purged the sky into darkness and unleashed black rain onto the land. All that came into contact with the black rain would become purple stone, losing their wills and identities. The hero, Akiyuki, goes to battle with the Hiruken Emperor, and it ends in Akiyuki losing, because since the Emperor has no identity, he cannot die and cannot rest. Akiyuki, about to be defeated, gives the Emperor his own identity, losing knowledge of himself and allowing the Emperor to die. After the Emperor's death, the Quickening Champer activates, and the dark sky is returned to normal. All those that were turned to stone regained their forms. Akiyuki meanwhile, having lost his identity, becomes stone and slowly regains his identity over the next 9 years with the help of Haru.
The ending was a bit different, but the event was essentially the same, if not much better presented this time around.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”