On the whole, it was pretty well done. There's just a few aspects that really just kind of threw it off.
1) Visual quality. Yes, I absolutely HATE making this petty complaint, but I really think that a crisper visual quality and the removal of that gradient throughout the middle area of the video would have made it more visually appealing to watch.
2) Text at 2:20. It looked really out of place and distracted us from the vision of the two's promise to one and other, which distracted me from the overall video and was a break from the video's flow.
3) Fading. You know, I'll be at the head of the crossfading fan club, but this was overkill on so many different realms. I could forgive it on the first 30 or so seconds, because I honestly think it was a good way THERE to kind of introduce us to the fact that the guy's life is slowly fading away into nothingness. But after that, there really wasn't a real reason for them. Crossfading into each scene, or heck the beat calls for hard cuts, and would have kept the video's flow in tact. AS it was, it's like the viewer has to take breaks from the video every 5 or so seconds. And for those with ADD, it's gonna make it hard to be fully enjoyed.
4) Repeated scenes. The scene at 2:10 was from earlier in the AMV. Not that repeated scenes are a MUST NOT DO in AMV's, this manner it wasn't utilized in a proper manner.
5) Speed reduction/accelerations. I noticed a few of them, which my usual thought on that is "if you can obviously tell it was spedup/sloweddown you shouldn't use it except in extreme subtlety.
That being said. You did a lot of things right too.
1) Concept: Conceptually, the video was VERY strong. A new take on a very emotionally powerfully anime? Yes please! The video was thick with the story, and told it in a very compelling and interesting way.
2) Scene selection: Overall, you did a fairly good job in this department. The chosen scenes evoked emotion in me, so I can pretty much say it was sucessful.
You know, I know my complaints were a LOT more than my positives, but I really see a lot of potential. It's pretty awesome.
Just a few minor things needs some tewaking, and you'll go far.