If I Only

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

If I Only

Postby James Sharp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 am

This is my first video in a very long time. I was new to editing before, But now im infant. so hopefully some people enjoy the video. My biggest goal is just to make you feel something from it. Whether its skillful editing or not is only second priority to me. My main goal is to convey a story and emotion. Thanks for watching it.
Close calls are always the most exciting. Coming close is always the most dissapointing.

My newest vid:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98816
I welcome any and all advice on how i can improve
James Sharp

Re: If I Only

Postby EvaFan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 am

This was actually pretty enjoyable aside from the minor errors here and there, though I wish you had brought the reasons for all this depression in sooner instead of putting it at the end. It would have made more sense. If you want to make scenes look like they are past tense try some more simple FX. Grayscale helps alot here, actually any dark, bland, or faded colors help for this and if you want to enforce that more try some screen edge feathering or other ideas. I noticed that you used white edge feathering for the parts with past but it didn't come across very well IMO.

Most noticeable problem. If there is a scene you want to use where only the lips are moving but you dont want lip flap just export the frame and use it as a picture. I'd advise zooming it slightly and havin it pan across the screen a bit so your atleast keeping some motion in there. Though you could always just lip sync (like you did at 0:55-0:56 even if it was accidental it worked) since the mouth is the only thing moving again, if the scene has no motion a very slight pan can really help out even for downtempo. There's no reason to mask the lip movements (unless you like extra work I guess) if there is nothing else in the scene moving just fyi.

James Sharp wrote:My biggest goal is just to make you feel something from it.

:up:

Not bad, you got basic sync and flow down pretty well. You work well with story and emotions for the most part. Next time though buy the DVDs if available :P ! KGNE (Rumbling Hearts) deserves a buy!

3/5

Edit:
Spoiler :
I'm starting to think that the anime would of been even more epic if it had a story like the one you just portrayed. Even the suicide at the end was brilliant (wonder how many people will figure out why she snapped up out of bed and notice the blood on the counter next to him). Seriously nice work with storytelling, I'm gonna take back my point about the putting the reasons for the depression sooner cause after several views it makes the suicide and overall climactic feel there work better.
Last edited by EvaFan on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson
EvaFan

Postby Enigma » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:49 am

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/12879/origina ... 1251504405
i'll get this in a few but in the meantime

If i only
Never gave you up
never gonna let you down
never gonna turn around and desert you...:3

[Kariudo: bad soup...200kb or less for img tags, and don't hotlink to someone else's server. Download a copy, then upload to imageshack or somewhere.]
Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid

Postby Kevmaster » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 am

my only complaint would be the bad video quality. Very good editing and capture of the emtions!
Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser

Postby Taite » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:17 am

That was really good. In terms of what you wanted to convey, you did well. The only thing that bothered me was the bad video quality and those black borders. When you overlayed the gradient, it overlayed those borders, and was really distracting (for me. I'm just kinda picky) Good job though
Image Image
Taite

Postby NS » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:48 pm

yah, I liked it. Simple emotional vid, and you portrayed it well enough. I felt the bits with the blue haired chick were a BIT random because I'm not EXACTLY sure what they mean, but I'm pretty sure.. you know, like it wasn't completely clear..but I think I got it fo sho.
ImageImage
NS
I like pants

Postby Elcalavero » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:03 pm

The poster looked promising, but watching the preview left me in disappointment.
I'm usually in favor of the use of fades but damn. Theres a line people should not cross. You crossed it.
I am disappoint. :down:
Elcalavero

Postby NS » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:09 pm

Trust me elcalvero, the "I am disappoint" joke is still funny after being used twice in your post, I'm sure you can still cram it in a couple more times and it still be a knee slapping riot.
ImageImage
NS
I like pants

Postby James Sharp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:07 pm

EvaFan wrote: If you want to make scenes look like they are past tense try some more simple FX. Grayscale helps alot here, actually any dark, bland, or faded colors help for this and if you want to enforce that more try some screen edge feathering or other ideas. I noticed that you used white edge feathering for the parts with past but it didn't come across very well IMO.

Thank you very much for your great response. But most of all thank you for the quoted help. When i was trying to figure out how to express past tense kinda got stuck with the white gradient thing because it was all i really knew. Im going to use the greyscale idea when i work on my next video.

That is one issue i keep running into is that my experience level really limits the basic transition/sync and quality type aspects of my videos. So the more advice i get the better. thank you very much.

Lol also i feel bad that i never even noticed that masking error... i was pretty tired but MAN did i overlook that one. Im embarrased :oops:

elcalavero wrote:The poster looked promising, but watching the preview left me in disappointment.
I'm usually in favor of the use of fades but damn. Theres a line people should not cross. You crossed it.
I am disappoint. :down:

I actually made and uploaded this video expecting to be dwarfed by the incredible skill level that the editors of this community posses. as such while i am very proud of what i did with this video. I still know its something that 90% of the editors here can make with half the time and effort.

I will most definitely do my best to learn different ways of changing scenes. as i can understand that the same old way can get repetitive. Thank you for your advice.
Close calls are always the most exciting. Coming close is always the most dissapointing.

My newest vid:
James Sharp

Postby Bauzi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:17 pm

It's not bad. I think you worked quite well.

But it couldn't hold me until the end. I stopped watching it after 2:50, because I simply had the feeling that I won't see anything new that would interrest me. There are two main reasons why I lost my interrest:

1. The song
That's not your fault. I just think it's boring and dragging on. I'm just not into such (mellow?) stuff.

2. The editing (fade out)
I think the scene selections were alright, but I had a problem with all those fade outs. Yes they can be some sort of style, but it just got old too soon and it killed my interest in the video. I had the most fun in the video when you actually stopped to use those fade outs in one part. I still can't think od ANY scenes were you simply used a hard cut instead of a crossfade or a fade out and well that's kinda sad and annoying. It ofted seamed like that you just threw in those fade outs without knowing something better to do or just because another scene was comeing up. You actually could have used it as a more dedicated style and only use it in the verses or something.

Beside the fade outs I didn't had a problem with your editing.

I also give you 3/5 for doing a good beginner's job.
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby CodeZTM » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:48 pm

On the whole, it was pretty well done. There's just a few aspects that really just kind of threw it off.

1) Visual quality. Yes, I absolutely HATE making this petty complaint, but I really think that a crisper visual quality and the removal of that gradient throughout the middle area of the video would have made it more visually appealing to watch.

2) Text at 2:20. It looked really out of place and distracted us from the vision of the two's promise to one and other, which distracted me from the overall video and was a break from the video's flow.

3) Fading. You know, I'll be at the head of the crossfading fan club, but this was overkill on so many different realms. I could forgive it on the first 30 or so seconds, because I honestly think it was a good way THERE to kind of introduce us to the fact that the guy's life is slowly fading away into nothingness. But after that, there really wasn't a real reason for them. Crossfading into each scene, or heck the beat calls for hard cuts, and would have kept the video's flow in tact. AS it was, it's like the viewer has to take breaks from the video every 5 or so seconds. And for those with ADD, it's gonna make it hard to be fully enjoyed.

4) Repeated scenes. The scene at 2:10 was from earlier in the AMV. Not that repeated scenes are a MUST NOT DO in AMV's, this manner it wasn't utilized in a proper manner.

5) Speed reduction/accelerations. I noticed a few of them, which my usual thought on that is "if you can obviously tell it was spedup/sloweddown you shouldn't use it except in extreme subtlety.

That being said. You did a lot of things right too.

1) Concept: Conceptually, the video was VERY strong. A new take on a very emotionally powerfully anime? Yes please! The video was thick with the story, and told it in a very compelling and interesting way.

2) Scene selection: Overall, you did a fairly good job in this department. The chosen scenes evoked emotion in me, so I can pretty much say it was sucessful. :D

You know, I know my complaints were a LOT more than my positives, but I really see a lot of potential. It's pretty awesome. :) Just a few minor things needs some tewaking, and you'll go far. :D

3.50/5.00
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby James Sharp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:21 am

Code wrote:On the whole, it was pretty well done. There's just a few aspects that really just kind of threw it off.

1) Visual quality. Yes, I absolutely HATE making this petty complaint, but I really think that a crisper visual quality and the removal of that gradient throughout the middle area of the video would have made it more visually appealing to watch.

2) Text at 2:20. It looked really out of place and distracted us from the vision of the two's promise to one and other, which distracted me from the overall video and was a break from the video's flow.

3) Fading. You know, I'll be at the head of the crossfading fan club, but this was overkill on so many different realms. I could forgive it on the first 30 or so seconds, because I honestly think it was a good way THERE to kind of introduce us to the fact that the guy's life is slowly fading away into nothingness. But after that, there really wasn't a real reason for them. Crossfading into each scene, or heck the beat calls for hard cuts, and would have kept the video's flow in tact. AS it was, it's like the viewer has to take breaks from the video every 5 or so seconds. And for those with ADD, it's gonna make it hard to be fully enjoyed.

4) Repeated scenes. The scene at 2:10 was from earlier in the AMV. Not that repeated scenes are a MUST NOT DO in AMV's, this manner it wasn't utilized in a proper manner.

5) Speed reduction/accelerations. I noticed a few of them, which my usual thought on that is "if you can obviously tell it was spedup/sloweddown you shouldn't use it except in extreme subtlety.

That being said. You did a lot of things right too.

1) Concept: Conceptually, the video was VERY strong. A new take on a very emotionally powerfully anime? Yes please! The video was thick with the story, and told it in a very compelling and interesting way.

2) Scene selection: Overall, you did a fairly good job in this department. The chosen scenes evoked emotion in me, so I can pretty much say it was sucessful. :D

You know, I know my complaints were a LOT more than my positives, but I really see a lot of potential. It's pretty awesome. :) Just a few minor things needs some tewaking, and you'll go far. :D

3.50/5.00

Thanks for the video opp. Sorry it took so long to respond. i have been busy.

Ya that white gradient was placed for a representation of the past. it was cheaply done and really did not go over to well. However at the time it was the only way i could figure to separate the two time periods i was trying to represent.

I also really need to work on my fading and learn other methods of transitioning between clips.

The whole repeated scenes thing im not sure about because i dont think i repeated any scenes. There are many up-close shots of her face and i figure i used two similar ones. I will have to work on that in the future.

I defiantly have alot of work and learning to do before i can make any real progress as an editor. thank you for your opinion

My newest vid:
James Sharp

Postby Knowname » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Personally, I'm a fan of lip flap. just gotta say that :p after reading Eva-Fan's suggestions, love alternate methods. But don't think you always need to do ANYTHING with lip flap. You know how in many 'memories' they have the person saying something but you don't know what their saying, it doesn't bother you cuz you know what their saying... I mean it is a memory. So, personally, if it's a memory scene (and portrayed well AS a memory scene... and it sounds like that part might be lacking here but... oh well *_* we can't all be perfect), I'd rather go with the lip flap rather than it just looking awkward. Also if your 'feigning' lip flap like this, make sure the lips are maybe possibly readable. Don't have the lips going at a million miles a second (I once went over Codes beta with this :)).

But generally I've always been a MEGA proponent for alternate methods, all of what Eva-Fan said should be considered :).

I probly got like this cuz I'm really old and pondered just what Gendo was saying just before he shot that one bitch in NGE. Yeah that'd be it.
------------
K after watching I don't see how anybody can be so critical :|. But w/e. Don't like the transition and following scene at 2:59. Crossfades leave residue and if the next scene doesn't properly blend in the residue will be very apparent- try non-additive disolve or find the gradient filter :P. <--- just figured since everybody else was bitchin' :| might as well.

But the lip flap stuff was well displayed here! I liked it! don't change a thing!
If you do not think so... you will DIE
Knowname

Postby James Sharp » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:40 am

Ya i defiantly have to admit. I received a ton more negative than positive (not so much in this thread but overall qc and opinions are really negative). I expected alot of criticism. but it really is starting to overwhelm me at how terribly I have done this video. It hurts even more-so because I put so much heart into the actual love story i was trying to tell. and yet the only responses i am getting are complaints over quality and my general lack of skill.

Its really taken the wind out of my sails. Even though i saw it coming i just had no idea how bad the criticism truly would be.

I know i need to improve and all but i was kinda hoping someone would actually say that the video made them think. Or made them sad. Or even cry. Lol anything to keep my thoughts off of how incredibly bad the video was.

Well i guess all i can take from this epic failure of a project is that i need to improve massively before i can even think about stepping foot here. Looks like i got my work cut out for me.

My newest vid:
James Sharp

Postby EvaFan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:43 am

James Sharp wrote:Ya i defiantly have to admit. I received a ton more negative than positive (not so much in this thread but overall qc and opinions are really negative). I expected alot of criticism. but it really is starting to overwhelm me at how terribly I have done this video. It hurts even more-so because I put so much heart into the actual love story i was trying to tell. and yet the only responses i am getting are complaints over quality and my general lack of skill.

Its really taken the wind out of my sails. Even though i saw it coming i just had no idea how bad the criticism truly would be.

I know i need to improve and all but i was kinda hoping someone would actually say that the video made them think. Or made them sad. Or even cry. Lol anything to keep my thoughts off of how incredibly bad the video was.

Well i guess all i can take from this epic failure of a project is that i need to improve massively before i can even think about stepping foot here. Looks like i got my work cut out for me.

Welcome to the org, we don't try to enjoy amvs here. We just analyze them and tell you where you've screwed up. I hope I didn't come off as mostly negative in my first post though. Most of it was just offering suggestions for your future amvs since that's what you wanted. Usually I just post that I enjoyed it or didn't and why with some extra info as needed and sometimes my reactions.

Remember though QCs and opinions are usually where people let their egos/bitter side get to them most cause its more secluded from the public. Opinions are where people become analytical cause that’s what the opinions are for most. This is where they can tell you the negative things that they thought about (and the positive hopefully). Doesn't mean you have to take them all as truth, this is where you decide what to take and what to ignore. It's an opinion.

Judging from your vid and the way you act, you’re a very emotional person. All I can say is this place will chew your type up and spit you out if you can't take much crit. Suck it up a bit and just become a better editor out of it. You don't just jump into something and expect to make something brilliant within the first few tries (though this is a pretty good amv IMO for a beginner). Look at most peoples first vids and you will find out that most people started off in the same boat, my first vid is an embarrassment but I can honestly say now that I have definitely become a better editor by viewing that one then my latest ones. In the future you can do the same.

Part of this is not your fault though. There has just been a decline in vids with story/concept/xyz factor in them. Sync to a beat and quality are the prime aspects around here right now for some reason unless you execute an original idea well.

All I can say is, this community is not all that bad as a whole. Yes there are alot of people here that are more serious when it comes to amvs then others (and they have every right to be if they care about the hobby that much), but there are some here who can appreciate an amv for what it is and try to enjoy it than what it could have been (the analysts). Don't let negative comments overwhelm you. If your getting more negative comments then positive ones that just means you've got more room/ways to improve but that doesn't mean you should give up creating what you want to create. Keep this vid and make some more, then look back at that first vid and you may find yourself understanding those people who made all those negative comments more easily. Some people learn better by example. Watch some other great amvs and see what they did differently. You may find some inspiration and editing techniques you wouldn't have thought of before. Most of those people would even tell you how they did it if you asked.

If all you want is positive comments then I'd suggest youtube before this place, quite honestly.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson
EvaFan

Next

Return to AMV Announcements