Don't Call My Name

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

Don't Call My Name

Postby AimoAio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Image



I love this song and I couldn't think of a source so I used KH :P

(I'd strongly advise watching the stream as a preview first since the file size is so large - dodgy encode which I will fix ASAP)

Anyway enjoy ;)
Image
User avatar
AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2008
Location: Somewhere

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby CodeZTM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:52 pm

I fully intend to edit this post as soon as I get home with an amazingly detailed report, but I'm just gonna say right now that I'm very impressed with this. I already see a few things I'm gonna gripe about, but on the whole... Damn... That's good. :up: 4.85/5.00
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby kireblue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:53 pm

This is the most original Kingdom Hearts AMV that I have ever seen. I think that some of the font choices could have been better, but most of them were absolutely perfect.

Also, I love the way that you synced this video.

I give this a 4.7 / 5
I'll be extremely busy for the next 2-3 weeks, but If I have any spare time, I'll write a OP for this.
Image
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
User avatar
kireblue
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby CodeZTM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Alright, begin major league rantage..

First of all, I'll be honest. When I saw :10 and :15 with those stars, I nearly closed out the video. I thought. "Daw... Bad photoshopping and spinnage is about to begin..." I'm very glad I didn't. :D

Because what would come is a video that goes against the usual stream of AMV's we watch everyday, and went into a creative realm I hadn't thought of. It reminded me a lot of a video Amo-Chan made Yokota. Going against the usual rigmarole and just being FUN.

I loved the fun I saw in the video. The musical bars, the many different shapes and symbols. It made a very lighthearted tone and overall, that's what I liked most about the video. The hearts, the stars... It all just screamed "I'm having fun editing this", and that just made it a thousand times better.

The editing and atmosphere really just drew me in. The matching of syllables in the video with the words in areas was really a cute and fun idea.

I didn't understand why Deep Dive footage was in there... The darkness didn't meld well with the bright and exuberant footage that was RoxasxNaminane and SoraxKairi. I think substituting Deep Dive with other footage would have done it a lot more justice.

Also, the two different sections utlilizing the musical bars were basically clones of one and other. I dunno, it was cute the first time, but I was hoping for a lot more the second time around. Chaging up the stanzas, the shapes, effects, ect woudlh ave made it a lote more cute.

The font at the end with the last scenes passing by was really subtle and not matching with the rest of the footage's font. I really liked the font and coloring in the intro section [with the name/date/ect], and I wish it had been consistently that one, except maybe the Alejandro names, which as cursive looked more appprorpiately.

:37 and 1:55... No... Just no... The static image and the spinning star [much like the intro] was a really huge turn-off for me, and broke the flow faster than... I don't think I can make that analogy on the org without getting slapped. >___>

Visually speaking, it was nice to look at. :D

I know I ranted a lot about the video's problems, but when I really rant over things like this, it shows how much I deeply love and appreciate the video. Otherwise, why would I do it?

Aimo, I'm loving the work you're putting out. It's all new and funand interesting to watch. I can't wait to see what else you put out there. :D

4.85/5.00
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby CrackTheSky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:22 am

Didn't like this. The text effects were way too much for me; I didn't mind it during the bridge, but the mixing of fonts (many of them ugly) during the chorus was distracting, and overall I thought the video could have done without any text at all and been MUCH better. Additionally, I REALLY disliked how you basically copy/pasted the text effects from the first chorus to the second. If you're going to do similar effects throughout a video, whatever they are, you should definitely try and make them distinct enough from one another to where the video remains dynamic and interesting.

There were some neat ideas, and a lot of the masking and non-text effects fit pretty well, but overall I felt like there weren't enough similarities between them to hold everything together. It felt like a hodgepodge of different concepts, but without any overarching connection between them the video just kinda fell apart.

2/5
User avatar
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls
 
Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Status: Probably not editing.

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby jforce123 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 am

CrackTheSky wrote:Didn't like this. The text effects were way too much for me; I didn't mind it during the bridge, but the mixing of fonts (many of them ugly) during the chorus was distracting, and overall I thought the video could have done without any text at all and been MUCH better. Additionally, I REALLY disliked how you basically copy/pasted the text effects from the first chorus to the second. If you're going to do similar effects throughout a video, whatever they are, you should definitely try and make them distinct enough from one another to where the video remains dynamic and interesting.

There were some neat ideas, and a lot of the masking and non-text effects fit pretty well, but overall I felt like there weren't enough similarities between them to hold everything together. It felt like a hodgepodge of different concepts, but without any overarching connection between them the video just kinda fell apart.

2/5


Pretty much this
Last edited by jforce123 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jforce123
 
Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Location: Kansas City, Missouri

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby Venodium » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:05 am

I really like it and the mood is really beautifull , nothing really bothered me and the text was also fitting very good in my opinion. I especially liked the last chorus :D
User avatar
Venodium
 
Joined: 09 Nov 2009

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby Amo-Chan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:33 pm

I liked it. It was fun to watch and listen to. Nice to see a Gaga video XD. I mean, really, just using Lady Gaga is automatic win :D
The text effect didn't really bother be. I've noticed a lot more text being used lately, mostly on youtube, and since that's where I do my majority of amv watching I've grown used to it. Sometimes, I even like it...like this time.
User avatar
Amo-Chan
 
Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Location: Back in the Black Hole a.k.a. the Midwest

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby Bakadeshi » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:26 pm

aww no Xion? :nono:
You released this perfect timing for me too, since i;m in the middle of "358/2 days" DS game right now ;p

A very fun vid, pretty much agree with code on most points. I realy liked this :O
I think the only font that I wouldve changed was the script one, it was kinda hard to read. The bold one was fine, though maybe a better one couldve been used, it didn;t bother me too much. I thought the simple elegent looking one you used for most of the actual video segments was perfect though. :up:

Although... "Just smoke a cigerette" in a kingdom hearts vid.... eh.... :p
User avatar
Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
 
Joined: 29 Sep 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby Kevmaster » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:51 pm

This looked like it took you some effort, but I am extremly annoyed by the use of effects in this video.
Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
 
Joined: 28 May 2006

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby AimoAio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Code wrote:Alright, begin major league rantage..

First of all, I'll be honest. When I saw :10 and :15 with those stars, I nearly closed out the video. I thought. "Daw... Bad photoshopping and spinnage is about to begin..." I'm very glad I didn't. :D

Because what would come is a video that goes against the usual stream of AMV's we watch everyday, and went into a creative realm I hadn't thought of. It reminded me a lot of a video Amo-Chan made Yokota. Going against the usual rigmarole and just being FUN.

I loved the fun I saw in the video. The musical bars, the many different shapes and symbols. It made a very lighthearted tone and overall, that's what I liked most about the video. The hearts, the stars... It all just screamed "I'm having fun editing this", and that just made it a thousand times better.

The editing and atmosphere really just drew me in. The matching of syllables in the video with the words in areas was really a cute and fun idea.

I didn't understand why Deep Dive footage was in there... The darkness didn't meld well with the bright and exuberant footage that was RoxasxNaminane and SoraxKairi. I think substituting Deep Dive with other footage would have done it a lot more justice.

Also, the two different sections utlilizing the musical bars were basically clones of one and other. I dunno, it was cute the first time, but I was hoping for a lot more the second time around. Chaging up the stanzas, the shapes, effects, ect woudlh ave made it a lote more cute.

The font at the end with the last scenes passing by was really subtle and not matching with the rest of the footage's font. I really liked the font and coloring in the intro section [with the name/date/ect], and I wish it had been consistently that one, except maybe the Alejandro names, which as cursive looked more appprorpiately.

:37 and 1:55... No... Just no... The static image and the spinning star [much like the intro] was a really huge turn-off for me, and broke the flow faster than... I don't think I can make that analogy on the org without getting slapped. >___>

Visually speaking, it was nice to look at. :D

I know I ranted a lot about the video's problems, but when I really rant over things like this, it shows how much I deeply love and appreciate the video. Otherwise, why would I do it?

Aimo, I'm loving the work you're putting out. It's all new and funand interesting to watch. I can't wait to see what else you put out there. :D

4.85/5.00


Ahaha glad you didn't close it :O actually after the title screen, I didn't know what to edit o__o it took me ages to just finally decide to slap on some effects xD I work in a linear fashion so I couldn't edit the bit after(which I had ideas for) until I did that part in between.

Thanks :D Glad ya liked the music bars , I got the idea one day when I saw my friend's piano music sheet and I was like "Ooo...that looks cool" :D Yeah I understand the 2nd chorus mighta been boring :\ At first I was going to use a completely different idea but then I wanted to keep it similar to the first part to keep it..consistent kinda. Anyway I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Ya know one of my beta's actually mentioned the Deep Dive part being a bit random but I wanted to keep it as a transition from SoraxKairi to RoxasxNamine :O Guess I shoulda listened to him...

Anyway I'm really happy that you liked the video and took the time to comment(thanks for the op aswell btw ;D) One day I'mma have to get you to beta for me 8D Critique like this always helps me improve for next time ^^

kireblue wrote:This is the most original Kingdom Hearts AMV that I have ever seen. I think that some of the font choices could have been better, but most of them were absolutely perfect.

Also, I love the way that you synced this video.

I give this a 4.7 / 5
I'll be extremely busy for the next 2-3 weeks, but If I have any spare time, I'll write a OP for this.


Awesome, I'll be waiting for it ;D Glad ya liked the vid ^^

CrackTheSky & jforce123 wrote:Didn't like this. The text effects were way too much for me; I didn't mind it during the bridge, but the mixing of fonts (many of them ugly) during the chorus was distracting, and overall I thought the video could have done without any text at all and been MUCH better. Additionally, I REALLY disliked how you basically copy/pasted the text effects from the first chorus to the second. If you're going to do similar effects throughout a video, whatever they are, you should definitely try and make them distinct enough from one another to where the video remains dynamic and interesting.

There were some neat ideas, and a lot of the masking and non-text effects fit pretty well, but overall I felt like there weren't enough similarities between them to hold everything together. It felt like a hodgepodge of different concepts, but without any overarching connection between them the video just kinda fell apart.

2/5


I'll keep those points in mind next time I try something like this. Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment anyway, very much appreciated :)

Venodium wrote:I really like it and the mood is really beautifull , nothing really bothered me and the text was also fitting very good in my opinion. I especially liked the last chorus :D


Cheers ^^ Nice to know you enjoyed it. The last part's my favourite too <3

Amo-Chan wrote:I liked it. It was fun to watch and listen to. Nice to see a Gaga video XD. I mean, really, just using Lady Gaga is automatic win :D
The text effect didn't really bother be. I've noticed a lot more text being used lately, mostly on youtube, and since that's where I do my majority of amv watching I've grown used to it. Sometimes, I even like it...like this time.


Normally I don't like adding text to a video but when I first heard this song, text effects kept appearing in my head and refused to get out xD Lady Gaga's music is win <3 And not just Poker Face or Just Dance. I love all her other songs too,especially from her new album ^^ Anyway thanks for watching and commenting! ^^

Bakadeshi wrote:aww no Xion? :nono:
You released this perfect timing for me too, since i;m in the middle of "358/2 days" DS game right now ;p

A very fun vid, pretty much agree with code on most points. I realy liked this :O
I think the only font that I wouldve changed was the script one, it was kinda hard to read. The bold one was fine, though maybe a better one couldve been used, it didn;t bother me too much. I thought the simple elegent looking one you used for most of the actual video segments was perfect though. :up:

Although... "Just smoke a cigerette" in a kingdom hearts vid.... eh.... :p


Woah coincidence much? xD I'm in the middle of playing it too :) I told myself I wasn't gonna edit with the scenes from there until I finish the game ;)

Yeah, I don't do text effects much, this one's pretty much an experiment with a lot of guessing 8D

Haha xD that made me LOL when I was editing xD

Kevmaster wrote:This looked like it took you some effort, but I am extremly annoyed by the use of effects in this video.


All of them? Or any ones in particular I should stay away from next time?
Image
User avatar
AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2008
Location: Somewhere

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby Enigma » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Me being a big KH fan i had to check this out having 600 hours+ in both games , T'was really disappointed :cry: liked most of the text effects but seemed really random and just couldn't get into it :(
User avatar
Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
 
Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Location: California
Status: Free

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby M'o'l » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:16 pm

it was okay at beginning but later i felt like this song totally doesn't fit there ,also effects were more like..distracting than actually fitting in and they don't feel too dance' or whatever like if it had more motion instead of them it would be imo, better like 1:28-1:32 that feels pretty good maybe not dance like bu it's ok ,
now synch with texts: ugh it would be better to sync on that with just scenes or it could be executed in different way
Also this gray effect makes it even worse huh.
Well you put a lot of effort but imo it doesn't work with this source sadly,but nice way to experiment with it :up:
GO MAGIC CARP USE SPLASH ATTACK.
User avatar
M'o'l
Strawberry Pie
 
Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Location: Sweden
Status: Problem, Officer?

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby James Sharp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm

I am still extremely new to editing. But from what i saw you had a ton of effects in your video. From that standpoint you did a good job because they all seemed pretty well done.

The video synced fine from what i could tell. and i had no problems with the overall look of it.

My only issue with it is just song/video choice and how they don't match together at all.

However i had no problems watching this video and i enjoyed seeing all the effects. so ya good job.

I sadly cannot offer any advice or anything like that because i am far to new of an editor to even remotely consider that.
Close calls are always the most exciting. Coming close is always the most dissapointing.

My newest vid:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98816
I welcome any and all advice on how i can improve
User avatar
James Sharp
 
Joined: 12 Dec 2004
Location: Northern Cali

Re: Don't Call My Name

Postby AimoAio » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:59 am

Enigma wrote:Me being a big KH fan i had to check this out having 600 hours+ in both games , T'was really disappointed :cry: liked most of the text effects but seemed really random and just couldn't get into it :(


'Tis alright :) Thanks for watching anyway.

Milk Or Life! wrote:it was okay at beginning but later i felt like this song totally doesn't fit there ,also effects were more like..distracting than actually fitting in and they don't feel too dance' or whatever like if it had more motion instead of them it would be imo, better like 1:28-1:32 that feels pretty good maybe not dance like bu it's ok ,
now synch with texts: ugh it would be better to sync on that with just scenes or it could be executed in different way
Also this gray effect makes it even worse huh.
Well you put a lot of effort but imo it doesn't work with this source sadly,but nice way to experiment with it :up:


More motion....right got that, I'll try that next time. Shame you didn't enjoy it :( Thanks for commenting though :D

James Sharp wrote:I am still extremely new to editing. But from what i saw you had a ton of effects in your video. From that standpoint you did a good job because they all seemed pretty well done.

The video synced fine from what i could tell. and i had no problems with the overall look of it.

My only issue with it is just song/video choice and how they don't match together at all.

However i had no problems watching this video and i enjoyed seeing all the effects. so ya good job.

I sadly cannot offer any advice or anything like that because i am far to new of an editor to even remotely consider that.


It's cool, thanks for watching :D Haha I really liked this song and wanted to make a video so badly but I didn't know what source to use at all o__O so I went for KH since I always edit with that and knew where most the scenes were :D
Image
User avatar
AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2008
Location: Somewhere

Next

Return to AMV Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests