To Say Goodbye

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: To Say Goodbye

Post by Kionon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:39 am

TheTreeAMV wrote:I'm on a Macbook, OSX... I'm not entirely sure what information you're asking me for. Do you want specs?
I was being terse, but not disrespectful. When you help as many people as the veterans on here tend to do, we start to become very brusque. Nothing personal.

Yes, I mean specs. MacBook covers a lot of territory over the period of a few years and at least two architecture variants.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

TheTreeAMV
Org Profile

Post by TheTreeAMV » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:51 am

Kionon wrote:I was being terse, but not disrespectful. When you help as many people as the veterans on here tend to do, we start to become very brusque. Nothing personal.
Alright, thanks. I'm just really new the to org, having typically been quite averse to it.

Mac OSX v10.5.6, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs RAM. I'm also working off the Adobe Creative Suite CS4 Production Premium, if that matters at all (just thought I'd throw it out there so you don't have to ask for it later).

"Sarcasm is a tool of the weak. Like diplomacy... and indecision." - Cory Alstad

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:03 am

TheTreeAMV wrote:Alright, thanks. I'm just really new the to org, having typically been quite averse to it.
The feeling is mutual. We're quite "averse" to hosatchel.
Mac OSX v10.5.6, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs RAM. I'm also working off the Adobe Creative Suite CS4 Production Premium, if that matters at all (just thought I'd throw it out there so you don't have to ask for it later).
Okay, then I assume this is a MacBook White, is that correct?

First and foremost, unless you're going to take the plunge and upgrade to snow leopard like I just did, you really should go up to 10.5.7. There is no reason not to.

And while I have yet to deal with CS4, I have CS3, but do not use it, it really isn't relevant, but thanks for the information. Specific steps might be needed later.

Okay, you're on a recent Intel. This makes the process quite a bit easier. Now you say that you are putting beautiful quality footage into premiere and getting out awful quality footage. Something doesn't add up here. There, is, of course, an excellent way of applying avisynth on Intel macs I discovered, but let us set that aside for now. Let's assume for the moment that you do have beautifully filtered and processed footage to begin with. Then you edit that footage, and you finish your project. Now you are ready to export: so I need to know, again, what are you choosing to export your finished product as? Walk me through your process.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Tearx
The Malicious Feline
Org Profile

Post by Tearx » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 am

I'm a huge fan of tales of games ;D especilaly ToS~
and well when i first downloaded this I was expecting to hate it tbh.
but this really was adorable, describes lloyd&and a lot of emotion
quality of the footage bugged me a lot so you best get cracking on the x264 ;P
-keeps vid on my laptop-
4/5

StrawberryKiss
Org Profile

Post by StrawberryKiss » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:04 am

Kionon wrote:
StrawberryKiss wrote:I loved this, but then again, I'm impartial because TOS is my favvvvvv *fangirlness* Anyways, I personally liked the film effect, but the quality isn't the best, as usual from Mac users. >: Poor you guys, it's just not as obvious how to render properly on Macs imo. Anyways, me liked. <3
Bull. Please don't make across the board statements like this about what amounts to an entire platform. Rendering depends upon the programs and codecs used. There is no reason why you should think that rendering in Mac OS X is any more or less intuitive than on windows. That's just wrong.

I haven't watched the video yet, but now I will.

MPEGStreamClip or SimpleMovieX should be more than sufficient, granted you feed it the right information.
I'm sorry, next time I will direct it even more personally to the person I was directing to. A lot of my friends who use Macs have issues figuring out how to render it properly, and their programs are manually set to render to .movs. I did say it was in my personal opinion. When I said you guys it was directed to my mac friends. I was not trying to initiate a debate to whether or not Mac users have a harder time rendering or not, I was just showing sympathy.

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:47 pm

StrawberryKiss wrote:
Kionon wrote:
StrawberryKiss wrote:I loved this, but then again, I'm impartial because TOS is my favvvvvv *fangirlness* Anyways, I personally liked the film effect, but the quality isn't the best, as usual from Mac users. >: Poor you guys, it's just not as obvious how to render properly on Macs imo. Anyways, me liked. <3
Bull. Please don't make across the board statements like this about what amounts to an entire platform. Rendering depends upon the programs and codecs used. There is no reason why you should think that rendering in Mac OS X is any more or less intuitive than on windows. That's just wrong.

I haven't watched the video yet, but now I will.

MPEGStreamClip or SimpleMovieX should be more than sufficient, granted you feed it the right information.
I'm sorry, next time I will direct it even more personally to the person I was directing to. A lot of my friends who use Macs have issues figuring out how to render it properly, and their programs are manually set to render to .movs. I did say it was in my personal opinion. When I said you guys it was directed to my mac friends. I was not trying to initiate a debate to whether or not Mac users have a harder time rendering or not, I was just showing sympathy.
Samaya, I'm just going to quote something about Kionon from AMVorgasm's thread:
blabbler wrote:to summarize:
i am an ageing apple fanboi with too much free time and a big telly. furthermore, you could work on improving video and sound quality, avoiding lip flap and refining your roto technique.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:17 pm

StrawberryKiss wrote:I'm sorry, next time I will direct it even more personally to the person I was directing to. A lot of my friends who use Macs have issues figuring out how to render it properly, and their programs are manually set to render to .movs. I did say it was in my personal opinion. When I said you guys it was directed to my mac friends. I was not trying to initiate a debate to whether or not Mac users have a harder time rendering or not, I was just showing sympathy.
You have to be careful with how you phrase your opinions. What you stated was essentially proposed as a fact, as opposed to an opinion. In your opinion, as you say above, many of your friends have issues learning to use their macs. This is very different than claiming that the process is significantly more involved than in windows. My decision to respond rather tersely was to stop the spread of inaccurate information. In many ways inaccurate information is a lot like a verbal virus. It can catch on with people and spread even though there is absolutely no basis in fact for it. There are 700,000 registered users on the org, and at the very least, many thousands of them at least lurk the forums, if not participate. I have tried extremely hard to demonstrate just how easy it is to use a mac, and in fact, started my first Mac Guide long before I myself made the switch more fully (although editing on the PPC a few years ago was much more difficult for our purposes as AMV editors).
LittleAtari wrote:Samaya, I'm just going to quote something about Kionon from AMVorgasm's thread:
blabbler wrote:to summarize:
i am an ageing apple fanboi with too much free time and a big telly. furthermore, you could work on improving video and sound quality, avoiding lip flap and refining your roto technique.
I wouldn't call myself aging in the normal sense. The "I'm old" thing is a recurring joke based on my time as an editor. 10 years is a long time in any hobby, but I'm only 25, please don't age me too much! I don't have a lot of free time, actually. I work full time, and I tend to be rather boring in my sleep habits, going to bed around five or six hours after I get home at night. I was sick yesterday so I was on a lot more than usual, and today is Friday in Japan, so the weekend is upcoming. I am much less responsive during a typical work week.

I'm not an apple fanboy any more than I am a hater of windows. As I have stated repeatedly, Mac OS X (even on PC hardware) works much better for me. Personally. And don't we all prefer to work on what is more comfortable for us? I'm not advocating any one switch. What I am advocating is the halt to the dissemination of inaccurate and prejudicial information that will make it more difficult for current editors with macs (and don't be fooled, there are many of them around the org, and not all are visible) to get the most out of their systems. My goal is to help mac users in specific become better editors because I know how difficult it was for me to realise how easy it actually was moving wholesale over to mac from windows. I was the one who needed to mentally adjust. I imagine this no different for people who have had a mac for a while but never attempted video editing. And I am very familiar with the uphill learning curve when it comes to editing on windows. So, in summation, there is no over all higher difficulty level, just different ways of managing workflow on each platform type. Hopefully, nothing to the contrary is propagated for any platform too much.

I do have a big TV. :|

In essence, if my writing style is firm, it is because I want there to be no confusion as to the information I am presenting, and I want it clear to other readers. My concern was not so much making a correction of you, StrawberryKiss, but rather to make it clear, quickly, to anyone coming along later that your opinion should not be taken as fact. Battling misconceptions is probably the hardest job on the org that veterans have, and it can really, really wear us down, because the flow of new people is never over. There's always one more inaccuracy to correct. I'm actually trying to make a difference for the better. There are out and out jerk veterans on the org, and if you haven't run into them already, I'll be surprised, but I am not one of them. I actually give a damn whether most people improve or not, and that means making sure that inaccuracies are not propagated and, yes, quashing them pretty hard whenever I see them. I can be blunt, but I will never be purposely malicious or offensive in a help post/thread.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

TheTreeAMV
Org Profile

Post by TheTreeAMV » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Uhh... could we maybe NOT turn this into a "he-said-she-said-Mac-vs-PC" battle? Please? How about we all do the mature thing and drop the subject? O: (please, no one kill me for saying that.)

In response to your earlier post:
Kionon wrote:Okay, then I assume this is a MacBook White, is that correct?
Black, actually. Though I'm not sure how the colour is relevant :P
Kionon wrote:Now you say that you are putting beautiful quality footage into premiere and getting out awful quality footage. Something doesn't add up here. There, is, of course, an excellent way of applying avisynth on Intel macs I discovered, but let us set that aside for now. Let's assume for the moment that you do have beautifully filtered and processed footage to begin with. Then you edit that footage, and you finish your project. Now you are ready to export: so I need to know, again, what are you choosing to export your finished product as? Walk me through your process.
Unlike previous versions of Premiere, there actually is no "Export" option. The only way to export is via the Adobe Media Encoder. Premiere sends the sequence to the encoder, and you set your settings there. My problems occur when exporting in widescreen, because when I export a widescreen video with fullscreen settings, the encoder produces a letterboxed version of my video but maintains the correct AR. But when I export with widescreen settings, the encoder still produces a fullscreen video, it just compresses the AR horizontally. I've been having to take these retarded squished exports and re-export them (correcting the AR) in StreamClip. It's the AR compression via the encoder that's killing the quality, as far as I can tell.

Also, I prefer my footage uncompressed for editing, since Premiere runs very slowly when working with just about any codec. Is there a way to completely decompress footage for editing in Premiere (without importing, rendering, and re-exporting) or some particular codec that works?

"Sarcasm is a tool of the weak. Like diplomacy... and indecision." - Cory Alstad

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 pm

TheTreeAMV wrote:Uhh... could we maybe NOT turn this into a "he-said-she-said-Mac-vs-PC" battle? Please? How about we all do the mature thing and drop the subject? O: (please, no one kill me for saying that.)
I'm just stylin on Kio :P . I actually have a macbook pro, but I run Windows XP via bootcamp. I have edited with OSX, in Final Cut, Motion, and After Effects. I just prefer windows because of the ease that I can use AVIsynth in it, along with fake avis, that are not available on in OSX

To answer your question about codecs, for OSX, you should use AVIs with a HUFFY codec.

I think you would really benefit from this thread because it walks you through preparing your footage for editing and for compression in both windows and OSX:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... =2&t=69573

As for your premiere question, it would be best to just ask in the Adobe forums because you will get people who are working with your version to help you:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... m.php?f=47

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Wrote three responses. Keep getting eaten by this school computer. Please wait four hours until I get home from work. Do not start new thread in adobe forum. Have a plan of action.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”