Keep Holding On - Anime North Finalist

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
SuperS4
Org Profile

Keep Holding On - Anime North Finalist

Post by SuperS4 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:03 pm

This video is my first in over a year, entered into the Anime North 2007 contest. While the video only made it into the finalists, fellow editors and judges whom I talked to after seemed to like it enough, so obviously I did something alright. More can be read in the short comments in the video profile page.

I hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by SuperS4 on Tue May 29, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jade_eyed_angel
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by jade_eyed_angel » Sat May 26, 2007 3:33 pm

aw that was very cute, makes me wanna watch the movie actually.. like.. now.. so i think i just might
<<
>>
lol
but yea it wasn't perfect... you should try to cut the lip flap if you can, and the quality was somewhat lacking... and you should have cropped off the black borders.. i also didn't like some of your beat sync, like some of the flashes or the zooms on beat toward the end, but otherwise it was a really cute vid and i enjoyed watching it =p

Niwa
Cake Addiction
Org Profile

Post by Niwa » Sat May 26, 2007 3:38 pm

Me lub that song O_O

/gets

SuperS4
Org Profile

Post by SuperS4 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:59 pm

jade_eyed_angel wrote:aw that was very cute, makes me wanna watch the movie actually.. like.. now.. so i think i just might
<<
>>
lol
but yea it wasn't perfect... you should try to cut the lip flap if you can, and the quality was somewhat lacking... and you should have cropped off the black borders.. i also didn't like some of your beat sync, like some of the flashes or the zooms on beat toward the end, but otherwise it was a really cute vid and i enjoyed watching it =p
The black borders is because of the convention requiring them, I should have removed them for the online copy. I'll request this copy be removed and then upload a copy without the borders, if that falls within their terms, I can't believe I forgot about that, lol.

The lip flap, I don't find it that annoying, none of it was an attempt to lip sync, hence why it isn't listed in the profile, so it shouldn't really be considered "lip flap", since that is more an attempt but failure to lip sync. I didn't even attempt it, any seemingly lip-synced clips are pure coincidence.

Now, you aren't the first to not like the zooms at the end. Personally, while I could have cut down on some of them, I wouldn't outright remove them. I could have perhaps used another effect, but I wanted more "simple" effects. To this end, I found that using the zoom bump/beat allowed me to deepen the beat of the song, not only did you hear the beat, you were able to see it as the video played out, keeping the audience's eyes on the video while 'longer' clips were played. But yeah, I could have probably done without a few of them.

But I am glad you liked it, this is honestly, my first dramatic/sentimental video, and I wasn't too sure if it came across properly. I guess it did then.

WC Annihilus
Org Profile

Post by WC Annihilus » Sat May 26, 2007 4:02 pm

Actually lip flap (near as I know) is generally considered most or all mouth movement that was not intended as lip sync. Occasionally it's all right as it adds to the atmosphere (probably not the right word I'm looking for) of the video, but normally it's kinda useless and distracting.

I'll take a look at this later

SuperS4
Org Profile

Post by SuperS4 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:16 pm

WC Annihilus wrote:Actually lip flap is generally considered most or all mouth movement that was not intended as lip sync. Occasionally it's all right as it adds to the atmosphere (probably not the right word I'm looking for) of the video, but normally it's kinda useless and distracting.

Then apparently I have a differing definition of lip flap. I have always considered it(for the last 4-5years) to simply be an attempt at lip syncing, without any real attempt to get every lip movement to match properly. More of a "their mouth is moving while singing is going on, genius!". However, to me it must be an attempt at lip syncing, not just the fact that in the clip, someone is talking while lyrics are going on.

But, this must just be my definition, wrong for so many years apparently.

jade_eyed_angel
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by jade_eyed_angel » Sat May 26, 2007 9:17 pm

SuperS4 wrote:
WC Annihilus wrote:Actually lip flap is generally considered most or all mouth movement that was not intended as lip sync. Occasionally it's all right as it adds to the atmosphere (probably not the right word I'm looking for) of the video, but normally it's kinda useless and distracting.

Then apparently I have a differing definition of lip flap. I have always considered it(for the last 4-5years) to simply be an attempt at lip syncing, without any real attempt to get every lip movement to match properly. More of a "their mouth is moving while singing is going on, genius!". However, to me it must be an attempt at lip syncing, not just the fact that in the clip, someone is talking while lyrics are going on.

But, this must just be my definition, wrong for so many years apparently.
heh well i was going by WC's definition too.. what you're talking about is just that.. bad lip sync. but yea lip flapping isn't the most horrible thing, just better if there's less of it =P

Haunter103
Org Profile

Post by Haunter103 » Sat May 26, 2007 11:35 pm

Loved this one. :up:

Anime North! \o/
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Niwa
Cake Addiction
Org Profile

Post by Niwa » Sun May 27, 2007 10:59 am

Good job!:up: There was some lip flap and beat sync that couldve have been better but it made me want to see the movie now aswell :D

SuperS4
Org Profile

Post by SuperS4 » Tue May 29, 2007 4:17 pm

Just for you jade-eyed, well, because you mentioned it, I've deleted the old video and re-uploaded it, this time the proper online distribution copy, so no more letterboxing, yay for that.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”