Just Funkin' Dandy - (AWA Pro Best in Show)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Xophilarus
Org Profile

Re: Just Funkin' Dandy - (AWA Pro Best in Show)

Post by Xophilarus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:The only thing that surprised me was the complete lack of text bubbles throughout the comic book panels...I think putting some in would have really solidified the aesthetic.
There were text bubbles O___o

Anyways, Shin, you did an awesome job with this on <3 I know how much time you spent on it, and it definitely paid off ^^

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks everyone. <3
I appreciate all your feedback.
Fall_Child42 wrote:
Fall_Child42 wrote:You fucked this all up.

Let me go fix this real quick.

*fixed
I have no words for this thing of beauty before me. This is the true masterpiece. Straight flexin'.

CrackTheSky wrote:I'll be honest -- most of your stuff is really hit-or-miss with me, not a lot of grey area, however I love this. I haven't seen Space Dandy but this is a video where you seem to have captured it perfectly -- or did a really good job of pretending you did. In any case the effects work was great, the masked transitions (which I tend to really hate) were actually super appropriate in this video, and were used very well, and all the scene selection and pacing was excellent. The only thing that surprised me was the complete lack almost complete lack of text bubbles throughout the comic book panels...I think putting some in would have really solidified the aesthetic.

Other than that minor complaint, this is a wonderful video and one of the high points from the Pro contest this year. Excellent job :up:

(P.S. is this the only video you entered in Pro? I would have put a large sum of money down along with many prized possessions that #352 was yours.)
I had to be careful with the text bubbles cause they had a bad habit of drawing the viewer's eye to places that were meant to be background and just became overwhelming visual clutter, I may have erred on the side of caution a little too much, cause there are a few sequences that are relatively bubble free, but thats primarily my reasoning for that. Fun fact tho, the text bubbles use the Alien Language from Futurama, but they don't say anything particularly interesting other then some random jibberish or something narcissistic to help keep me motivated.

I wasn't able to finish a 2nd entry, but 352 would be a decent bet on me, since I could see myself doing a lot of similar effect stuff, but I think my flow and pacing would have been different. Coincidently, the 2nd entry I was trying to finish also used Death Parade, but I ran out of steam a few days before the deadline.

kyle_m
Org Profile

Post by kyle_m » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:33 pm

mane das funkin good

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:39 pm

This was awesome seeing at awa. Makes me want to edit again. Great job on the effects and how clean the whole video looks. Pro work here.

lolligerjoj
Org Profile

Post by lolligerjoj » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:29 pm

One of my favorite videos this year. Watched it a lot.
Luckily I haven't heard the music before so the discovery of your vid coincided with the discovery of the fun song, and now it isn't exactly clear what each contribution to my enjoyment of this video is :P. But it doesn't matter, the video really just works. I was definitely surprised to see so many scenes from that anime that seemed to fit the track so well. Got me interested in this Anime for sure, as I now imagine this show just as fun as this video is. My favorite moments include the "kiss myself I'm so pretty"-scene and the "just dance" scene. The comic style really embraces the colorfulness and adds another layer of coolness. Also makes for some pretty cool compositing tricks, which are really well done and clever.
As CrackTheSky mentioned, I think some high profile speechbubbles that highlight some of the lyrics would've made this even cooler.
My biggest problem with the video is that in the middle, the novelty starts to wear down. The music is pretty long, and the anime scenes seem unique for only so long. It gets back on track when "up town funk you up" starts, but the parts before definitely could've been shortened a bit, even if it seems like a waste for this track.

Verdict: :up:
Image Image
Image Image

Cenit
LinkinBall Z
Org Profile

Post by Cenit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:09 am

As i wrote on youtube i like it. Some crazy amount of work went into this. For the first 1-2 min you didn't do too much with the panels though. Fortunately in the second half there was more. Especially the masks flying from panel to panel stuff. Good work and congrats on winning!
"Watch me. That's the real joke."

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:33 pm

I just wanna stick my long hot chocolate grasshopper in those moist raisin brand lips of your hot asian super market buttcheeks.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:08 pm

Bakadeshi wrote:Makes me want to edit again.
Yes Please.
lolligerjoj wrote:One of my favorite videos this year. Watched it a lot.
Luckily I haven't heard the music before so the discovery of your vid coincided with the discovery of the fun song, and now it isn't exactly clear what each contribution to my enjoyment of this video is :P. But it doesn't matter, the video really just works. I was definitely surprised to see so many scenes from that anime that seemed to fit the track so well. Got me interested in this Anime for sure, as I now imagine this show just as fun as this video is. My favorite moments include the "kiss myself I'm so pretty"-scene and the "just dance" scene. The comic style really embraces the colorfulness and adds another layer of coolness. Also makes for some pretty cool compositing tricks, which are really well done and clever.
As CrackTheSky mentioned, I think some high profile speechbubbles that highlight some of the lyrics would've made this even cooler.
My biggest problem with the video is that in the middle, the novelty starts to wear down. The music is pretty long, and the anime scenes seem unique for only so long. It gets back on track when "up town funk you up" starts, but the parts before definitely could've been shortened a bit, even if it seems like a waste for this track.

Verdict: :up:
Thanks! The kiss myself I'm so pretty scene is one of my favorites too.
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:I just wanna stick my long hot chocolate grasshopper in those moist raisin brand lips of your hot asian super market buttcheeks.
I don't even... wut...

Lapskaus
Org Profile

Post by Lapskaus » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:27 am

I'd like to quote pic4arts from about 3 years ago when he was drunk at the Connichi:
"Shin bester Editor!"

You did an awesome job with this and the Best in Show award is very well deserved ¦>

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Meh 2 good for praises.

:awesome:
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”