No Scrubs

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
EllipseIris
Org Profile

No Scrubs

Post by EllipseIris » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:39 pm

YT LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99dQSC2ThAU

Hello Everyone,

I introduce you my last work :) This amv was made for amvnews.ru's Free Zone 2014 contest. (I did a few changed compared to the contest version). The results are not out yet. In the meanwhile I gave t in for MondoCon 2014 autumn contest, too, and got 2nd place. The first place was my team mate, Kvakond's video, so I am really happy for both of us! ^^

The goal in this video was to give back the song as much possible, basically I picked the first anime I thought would fit, still I am really pleased with the result. I also did some digital and even non digital effects in the video, the paper thing was very entertaining to do (the credit masking was less...)
please check out the making-of, so that you can understand it more: http://puu.sh/bDYUr/e7a7882dd1.png

Have a nice watching! :)
Last edited by EllipseIris on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Re: No Scrubs

Post by The_McLaughlin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:37 am

Nicely done. I enjoyed it.

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:47 am

I dug it. It was cool, moody and pretty, and that's what I appreciate in AMVs. Nice job.
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

EllipseIris
Org Profile

Post by EllipseIris » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Well, thank you guys! :)

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:10 pm

I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as your last effort, but I appreciate the work you put into this. Sleek effects work, as always, and the custom animation probably took quite a long time to do! Good job!

andrewbee
Org Profile

Post by andrewbee » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Lovely stuff! The last act wasn't as strong as the first and some of the compositing just needed a little more adjustment to completely blend in. But, when factor the overall quality of the video, the attention you put in tieing up the characters relationship in class with the surreal-verse (haven't seen this anime), it comes out with a good punch. Well done!

UnluckyArtist
Partially-Formed Transformah
Org Profile

Post by UnluckyArtist » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Interesting music choice, I would've dug it more if it was the actual TLC song :wink:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 am

The editing and storytelling on this were pretty top-notch, but that song was just...awful. And it wasn't just that the song was bad (Bastille covering a TLC song? Really?), it was also that I really didn't think it fit with your concept. It felt kinda...contrived, I guess.

EllipseIris
Org Profile

Post by EllipseIris » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:27 am

Thank you guys,
irriadin, well i hope my further works will be more for your liking :wink:
andrewbee, i am not sure what further adjusments you are thinking of, but im happy that you liked it overally ^^
UnluckyArtist and CrackTheSky,
I believe that this cover of that TLC song is just so much different from the original that it is useless to compare. Yes, Bastille did a cover, why it is a problem? They are two completely different artists, and even though the TLC song gives a cool retro, nostalgic feel to listen to, this version's genre is a lot closer to what I usually listen to. I think there is no point in covering a song just to make another version, but Bastille make this song sound dramatic, in my interpretation, TLC is singing about a guy who they just do not want to deal with, and for me Bastille's version gives a feeling, that the "scrub" could be loved and it's too bad, that he is how he is, sounds more emotional.
My concept is contrived, you felt it well, because i fell in love with the song and i wanted to edit to it, but how do you edit a song which is sung by a guy singing about a guy in vain because he is a scrub? This is a hard song, i had to contrive the concept on reflecting what the song had to say and what the anime had to say and this is a 2 mins video.

Centurione
Org Profile

Post by Centurione » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:57 am

Your style is so damn classy :up: The video has some magic in it and even though it's not anything special as from you I get back to it pretty often.

And on the topic of TLC vs Bastille, I hate the original, Bastille made a listenable song out of it (at least for my ears) and made it really atmospheric and moody. And the video wouldn't work with the original at all, Heni possibly wanted to make a video based on a feeling this version has, not the TLC's one.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”