General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Re: AMVs and Funimation's Copyright enforcment comments

Post by Vivaldi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Kalium wrote:
outlawed wrote:
Moonlight Soldier wrote:Has anyone ever figured out why ANN doesn't like AMVs?
Honestly what's their deal?
I don't actively read ANN's articles that much. Can you clarify?
Over time, their AMV coverage has basically vanished and they have a strongly negative tone anytime the subject comes up.

I dunno. Maybe an AMV ran over their dog? Maybe they feel compelled to suck up to the American anime company this way or something.
The advent of youtube's probably driven popular opinion of amvs way down.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

S0RA_KH
Org Profile

Post by S0RA_KH » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:43 pm

... When I read that I really got pissed.
I was denountiated on youtube by Funimation for going against their Copyright with my Fullmetal Alchemist AMVS. I had to delete EVERYTHING including my account and all other videos I had. It really made me angry as hell. I had 60 subscribers and had a video with over 20k views and 200 favourites or more. ;x
So...
My question is: Can I SAVELY upload AMVs here or will I end up being sued? Because I can't afford paying $200 000 or more just for my hobby. Although I love making amvs. u.u -sigh-

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Nothing is safe. You can be sued for just about any reason. The idea is to sue you until you run out of money with which to fight.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Dark Lord of Debate
Org Profile

Post by Dark Lord of Debate » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Personally if I was you I would have just responded to the takedown notice with a fair use counter claim. That worked pretty well one a bunch of my AMVs got caught in the Warner Music blockade. I just disputed the takedown and my videos were restored with no trouble.
~Patrick M.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Dark Lord of Debate wrote:Personally if I was you I would have just responded to the takedown notice with a fair use counter claim. That worked pretty well one a bunch of my AMVs got caught in the Warner Music blockade. I just disputed the takedown and my videos were restored with no trouble.
I was able to restore about 90% of my amvs with that on the tube. Sadly there was one that I couldn't keep up no matter what.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Dark Lord of Debate
Org Profile

Post by Dark Lord of Debate » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Was it being taken down by the automated content filter or by an actual DMCA notice? At least with the content filter, videos are restored instantly after filing a dispute, after which the copyright owner has to file an actual DMCA notice to get it taken down again. After that, if you file a DMCA counter notice, YouTube has to restore the video within two weeks. If the content owner still wants it taken down, their only option at that point is to sue. What step did you get to in the process? You might have still been able to have gotten it restored.
~Patrick M.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:26 pm

Kalium wrote:Maybe they feel compelled to suck up to the American anime company this way or something.
Last I checked, the American anime companies were the ones who sponsored our contests...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Kalium wrote:Maybe they feel compelled to suck up to the American anime company this way or something.
Last I checked, the American anime companies were the ones who sponsored our contests...
Tell ANN that, not me...

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:04 pm

S0RA_KH wrote:... When I read that I really got pissed.
I was denountiated on <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... ochsack</a> by Funimation for going against their Copyright with my Fullmetal Alchemist AMVS. I had to delete EVERYTHING including my account and all other videos I had. It really made me angry as hell. I had 60 subscribers and had a video with over 20k views and 200 favourites or more. ;x
So...
My question is: Can I SAVELY upload AMVs here or will I end up being sued? Because I can't afford paying $200 000 or more just for my hobby. Although I love making amvs. u.u -sigh-

As was said, we can't guarantee anything. But personally, seeing how since the 9 years the sites been up, out of the 134,236 videos and 46,648 editors, no one's been sued and only a handful of vids have been taken down, you'd probably be pretty safe.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Dark Lord of Debate
Org Profile

Post by Dark Lord of Debate » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:23 pm

And if anyone here ever was actually sued for posting AMVs, my guess is the EFF or somebody would probably be willing to take the case. After all, if they won and established a precedent that AMVs are indeed fair use, it would be a huge victory for amateur video makers everywhere. Personally I almost wish they would sue me for one of my videos just so I could get the chance to be part of that case.
~Patrick M.

Return to “General AMV”