Editors...do you do other video stuff?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:48 am

I just spit out L/A things every once in a while... does that count?? Probably not, I'm not 'good' at this or anything..

Nunchuck
Org Profile

Post by Nunchuck » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:17 pm

8-) 8-)

Nope, I don't participate in any professional kind of editing or animating company. I also have tought myself everything I know and i guess that you will notice this pretty easily :lol:

I still enjoy making amv's, even though my videos won't ever be that professional than the others^^

:D

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:51 pm

In a non-hobby sense, AMVing has given me a hand in my graphic design pursuits. A lot of the latter is about just logging the hours, and you certainly do tons of that making AMVs.

It also looks nice on my resume to say I have experience in video editing. :D

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:31 pm

My wife is entering game design. Does that count? ^_^

I'm editing this for excruciating torture with a glorified result in the end.

But if someone were willing to pay me good $$$ to suffer in front of Adobe computer products, hey, I'll give it a shot ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Mister Anderson
Org Profile

Post by Mister Anderson » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:54 pm

I edit for a living - TV commercials & corporate videos. I mainly edit LA movie/TV music vids in my spare time though...I only have a couple of AMV's.

I generally don't put a lot of effort into effects (although I do appreciate & quite enjoy watching those types, like the Technique Beat style videos), for the very fact that it can feel too much like work...as someone mentioned previously. Ive just come home from 8hrs plus of editing....my brain is usually frazzled by the time I'm home & the tendons in my arms are usually on fire.

If I can get it done simply, then mission accomplished. Maximum gain for minimum effort is my mantra.

But there have been/will be a few occassions where I spend a bit more time on certain things.

ssj4lonewolf
Org Profile

Post by ssj4lonewolf » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:36 am

Beowulf wrote:I'm an editor working for Troublemaker Studios in Austin, TX. I'm currently working on two documentaries, neither of which I can really talk about, but its awesome :up:

Working in 'the bizz' is 2 full time jobs put together, as I usually have 50-70 hour weeks, so AMVing has taken a back seat for the last year. Although from what I understand, no one really cares about AMVs anymore, and most of this forum has turned into either spam or off topic.

Climbing the Hollywood latter is not without its cool perks. I got to go backstage at Antone's (famous Austin club) and hang with groupies and various celebs and whatnot. :lol:

I do plan to do some weird live action/anime/animation video art type stuff in my free time however. Its never been done before, and you'll either hate it, love it, or think its alright.
I'm envious of you right now :x

Ha its all good grats on making it up in the buisness. I know how hard it is to make it. I accually got an editing job off of my amvs believe it or not for an independent film company(would of worked out great, except that investors got greedy and pretty much screwed our feature)...you guys work with Avid(Which I think by far has more gliches than wmm, and for a professional editing program it really doesn't do the things you ask it too without difficulty) or with Final Cut??

Me oh yea I went to a little college for it, I have my associates almost finshed, made a public service announcement for someone.
Oh god, that black dude with the afro is always making those damn trash ass music hip hop amvs...he needs to do something with techno or rock....
.......as if I would do something like that.
おおかみなく

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:45 pm

Actually, it was my video editing class that got me interested in AMV's. I was searching the internet, looking for something to compress my video footage, and where else would I find but the AMV video guides? I was intrigued, so I joined the site, sort of as a pay-back for the great guides. I left for about a month, then came back, after realizing I could mix my love of anime (at that time, I had about 3-4 anime), with video editing.

As for other stuff, I run an add in the paper I work for offering a mix of senior formal touch-ups in Photoshop, all the way up to Graduation Videos (max 1 hour). I make tons of money on Photoshop Touchups (thank you pimply generations and overpriced photographers), but very little on the Graduation Videos. Although, I can say, I have gotten a few jobs here and there. But in reality, I don't like editing video for money, because then it is work, and I won't want to edit. That's one of the main reasons I am on video editing hiatus.

TheNanashi
Org Profile

Post by TheNanashi » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:08 am

This is an interesting question to pose to this community.

When I first started this hobby back in 2000, I really didn't think much of it, but as a year of time went by, I found that I really enjoyed what I was doing and also that I loved telling stories, either as an editor or writer. So naturally I gravitated towards Film and TV.

I then went to FullSail, graduated and got that cool film degree and have such began making a career out of this hobby and using my creative talents. From local TV commercials, Church functions, 48 hour Film Festivals in DC and Atlanta, and such, all the way to aprenticeship editor work on Fear Factor and TNA Wrestling.

I'd consider myself a quasi-professional editor and the fact that I've worked with $500,000 Avid editing bays, probably puts me in the realm above hobby. As well as getting paid for it.

It's pretty cool stuff, though as others have said it can kill your drive to make AMVs, as you come home and just spent a good amount of time editing and you'd rather not edit a dorky amv at the moment, heh. But the checks can be verrrry nice, so that's the trade off

Honestly I wish I had daily access to the editing machines I've worked on in the past, I would make some badass motherfuckin AMVs. Real time effects, hardware accelerators, capturing made easy, proprietary effects rendering hardware, render farms, stacked intel xeons, editing on an Avid Nitrus in uncompressed HD, and thousand dollar plug-ins oh my!

Trust me, it's fun.

Hopefully I'll be doing it in LA soon and have my name to some film credits.
"Your focus determines your reality."

ssj4lonewolf
Org Profile

Post by ssj4lonewolf » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:02 am

on a side note, a little off topic, I've seen avid basically kill 4 macs, it won't work on mine, at all. Have you used fcp, and what are your thoughts on it??
(Besides the whole real time effects thing, which from what I'm told, the new high end fcp does it in real time)
Oh god, that black dude with the afro is always making those damn trash ass music hip hop amvs...he needs to do something with techno or rock....
.......as if I would do something like that.
おおかみなく

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:12 pm

To get anywhere professionally as an editor, you need to know Avid. Period.

Return to “General AMV”