Is it wrong to copy an idea to edit it better?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Is it wrong to copy an idea to edit it better?

Post by Kireblue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:15 am

I just want to know how everyone feels about this. If you see a scene in someone's AMV, and you feel that it is so awesome that you want to make your own AMV with it, is it wrong to do so? I'm not talking about simply using the same song/ anime combination, nor am I talking about copying the entire AMV. I'm talking about making a new AMV, but copying one or two 2-3 second scene selection ideas. Should you ask the original editor's permission? Should you list them in the credits even though less than 2% of your video was inspired by them? Are you even obligated to tell them that you copied roughly 5 seconds of their 3 minute video?

Edited:
Just so everyone knows, I'm not talking about ripping actual AMVs. I plan on editing the scenes myself.
Last edited by Kireblue on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Re: Is it wrong to copy an idea to edit it better?

Post by HalOfBorg » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:16 am

I used footage from "Help" to make my "The 300". And bits from the original AMVHell in at least one other. But this was just to save time/money, and I would never use anything that looked like it had been edited (like masking or effects). Of course how would I know for certain?

I also stuck in a can of tuna and a bit of the "Bumblee Bee Tuna" song in one of my 'bad' AMVs, for the WTF factor. That would be more of a homage I think.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 am

I am thinking of remaking WHOLE AMVS of other editors, man.

|:

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:53 am

Well, technically we already copy other people's works to meld them into our own, so I really don't see a difference. Though it's kind of considered bad policy to directly rip someone else's video to use as source for your own. In the end we're all just remixers and remixing a remix is normal.

Though this issue has been brought up before.
ImageImageImageImage

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:16 am

I don't think there would be a problem with what you're suggesting at all. I'd probably add a little "I liked x clip from x video sooo much, I had to include something similar in this video, props to editor x for that selection" in the description maybe.

But what Nya said, I've considered remaking another person's video, with or without permission, just for the reason that it was an awesome idea and I want to see it with updated source material and slight tweaks. (mainly I used to think of reworking 'Tainted Donuts,' because the editing and story are amazing, but there are just little things with the compositing that rub my obsessive compulsive side the wrong way) Obviously there's nothing in that case to really 'improve' but technical things and resolution, and obviously in that situation you don't claim it as your own, but add the "I loved this video by x SOO MUCH that I wanted to do a remake-tribute video style thing. This is not my editing, it is simply a reconstruction of an existing video and a tribute to editor x who inspired us all."

or something :dino:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:47 am

ZephyrStar wrote:I don't think there would be a problem with what you're suggesting at all. I'd probably add a little "I liked x clip from x video sooo much, I had to include something similar in this video, props to editor x for that selection" in the description maybe.

But what Nya said, I've considered remaking another person's video, with or without permission, just for the reason that it was an awesome idea and I want to see it with updated source material and slight tweaks. (mainly I used to think of reworking 'Tainted Donuts,' because the editing and story are amazing, but there are just little things with the compositing that rub my obsessive compulsive side the wrong way) Obviously there's nothing in that case to really 'improve' but technical things and resolution, and obviously in that situation you don't claim it as your own, but add the "I loved this video by x SOO MUCH that I wanted to do a remake-tribute video style thing. This is not my editing, it is simply a reconstruction of an existing video and a tribute to editor x who inspired us all."

or something :dino:
<3

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 am

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstien :book:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:I am thinking of remaking WHOLE AMVS of other editors, man.

|:
I've been thinking of doing that, but I take more pride in coming up with my own ideas.

However, I've been thinking of remaking amvs of other editors with different sources.... :awesome: :twisted:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:47 pm

ngsilver wrote:Well, technically we already copy other people's works to meld them into our own, so I really don't see a difference. Though it's kind of considered bad policy to directly rip someone else's video to use as source for your own. In the end we're all just remixers and remixing a remix is normal.

Though this issue has been brought up before.
yeah, I wasn't considering ripping the actual AMV. I was gonna get the DVD and and edit the scene myself.
Castor Troy wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:I am thinking of remaking WHOLE AMVS of other editors, man.

|:
I've been thinking of doing that, but I take more pride in coming up with my own ideas.
same here

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:57 pm

I've been wanting to rework older AMV's a ton of times, just with minor scene changes, mostly because I dug the combo and wanted to see it slightly different. Then again, I honestly don't see any issue in what you're asking. I mean... Stealing the effects from Skittles would be blatantly wrong, but stealing an overused scene in every anime known to man would be fine.

Return to “General AMV”