Columbia

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
Nihao Shampoo
Org Profile

Columbia

Post by Nihao Shampoo » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:01 am

You all have likely heard about this already as of me writing this thread, but I wanted to state that the space shuttle Columbia has exploded upon re-entry into the atmosphere. Words cannot express the shock I feel upon hearing this news. I am not religious by nature, but my prayers go out to those family members that had to be awoken to this horrible day. While it is true that this was the oldest shuttle that NASA had in its fleet, I doubt that was the cause of the explosion. At any rate, this is a cold reminder of the day in ninteen eighty six when the Challenger exploded on take off. I am furthered saddended by the fact that it contained Israel's first astronaut on board. This is a sad day truly.

Golden Saucer
Org Profile

Post by Golden Saucer » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:45 pm

They go to space they're taking chances, everybody takes chances, why are astronauts so special?!

Really what's sad is that NASA will probably spend in the investigation enough money to feed Africa for 3 fucking months, fuck space travel we should concentrate on mor earthly concerns, i don't give a fuck about going to outer space to place satelites with gioant laser beams to fucking burn the face of earth, fuck NASA
Blend

Timelessblurr
Org Profile

Post by Timelessblurr » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:48 pm

I think space travel is a valuble thing to learn. there is a lot of stuff that we can learn in space that is very usefle down here. Also if it was not for the space program many of this things you uses dayly down here would not exasited. (The computer you are using had a massive boost in the space program earily one.)
If humans don't want me....
Then why'd they create me?
Armitage from OVAs

Golden Saucer
Org Profile

Post by Golden Saucer » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:52 pm

Guess it helps unintentionaly

luv my satellite dish

FUCK NASA
Blend

Timelessblurr
Org Profile

Post by Timelessblurr » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:57 pm

Hey I like NASA (I also live in houston so NASA a big thing down here) Also I would love to work in the USA Nasa but I am not becoming the right type of engineer to do so
If humans don't want me....
Then why'd they create me?
Armitage from OVAs

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:05 pm

Yeah quite sad (but kind of a cool way to go down if you ask me :\ and it looks pretty)
What were they doing up there right now anyway?

What we need to do is go terraform mars :\ that would be cool

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:16 pm

Golden Saucer wrote:They go to space they're taking chances, everybody takes chances, why are astronauts so special?!

Really what's sad is that NASA will probably spend in the investigation enough money to feed Africa for 3 fucking months, fuck space travel we should concentrate on mor earthly concerns, i don't give a fuck about going to outer space to place satelites with gioant laser beams to fucking burn the face of earth, fuck NASA
Although you make a valid point, its still sad that people had to die. Please take you opinions elsewhere. This thread was made in order to expess grief over the tragedy that occured.
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

Nihao Shampoo
Org Profile

Post by Nihao Shampoo » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:17 pm

Well, this certainly is a shock, I wasn't expecting this type of reaction... Fuck NASA indeed... Hmmm... Anyway, I live in Houston, more specifically I work at EANGB (I ain't sayin if you don't know) and am wondering what my day will hold... You may not like NASA but you have to respect (I guess) the fact that we lost human lives today. I agree that it would be a helluva way to go, immolated in mere nano-seconds. Woompf! Gone, nothing but a memory...

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:31 pm

A rough flight log can be found here:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/s ... tatus.html

The following radar map is out of Shreveport. It will gradually update and the debris trail will disappear over the next hour or so. Another weather radar image can be found on the page above.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS ... kshv.shtml

BishounenStalker
Org Profile

Post by BishounenStalker » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:42 pm

I happen to live in secondary Ground Zero (Orlando, FL). Although Columbia exploded over Texas, Orlando is one of the cities that make up the central nervous system of the space program.

I'm extremely saddened by the loss of life, but I must say I'm not entirely surprised. If it happened with the Challenger 17 years ago, it was bound to happen again. The best we can do is investigate why this happened and try to take the correct precautions on future missions.

As for Golden Saucer, it's people like you shooting off your ignorant mouths and keyboards that make tragedies like this all the more sad. Yes, astronauts know the risks they face, but it's still a sad thing when any human life is extinguished. As for money spent on the space program, go do some research before you spout idiotic crap like that. A lot of the experiments done on space missions are to create drugs and chemicals used to treat diseases here on Earth (including those in Africa). And research conducted on plant life in space helps farmers to grow crops more efficiently down here, and thus provide more food for their said country. But the types of compounds can only be made in a zero gravity environ ment. So yes, space travel has a direct bearing on our earthly existence. Not to mention that a lot of the starvation problem in Africa is due to the governmental structure in those particular countries.

Just as a side note, the timing of this tragedy is even creepier. The Challenger exploded January 28, 1986. This one occurs 4 days after its 17th anniversary. :?
-- Rachel the Demon, Resident Quoter of Obscure Nostalgia
"Great. He can pick his teeth when he's done with us!" - Marina, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Current AMV: Somewhere On This Night

Return to “General Off Topic”