Best second programming language to learn?

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
y2kwizard
Org Profile

Best second programming language to learn?

Post by y2kwizard » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:03 pm

Hey, all. I am a new computer programmer, and I'm about to try a second language. I have already learned the basics of Java, and all I have left to do is learn some of the basic classes and methods so that I can make working programs.

What would you suggest as a good second language? I'm kinda torn. I really want to learn Python, as I've heard that it's an extremely powerful scripting language that can also be used in Internet programming. I'm torn between Python and PHP, as it seems that tons of people are starting to use PHP all over the place in their sites.

Or is there another language that you'd recommend? Should I learn C/C++ first?

I'd really appreciate any comments you have! Thanks a lot.
"When I got fat, I decided to grow a beard" -- The Great Andy
"Is it a DARTH visor?" and "It's funny cuz it's pants" -- The Master of on-the-spot Funniness
"You're too young for your age" and "I'm sorry for apologizing so much" -- The Master of on-the-spot Randomness

y2kwizard
Org Profile

Post by y2kwizard » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:19 pm

oh, sorry, I also have one more question: after your first language, are subsequent languages very difficult to learn? Most of the concepts are really the same...object orientation, loops, variables, functions, boolean logic, etc. etc. Is it simply a matter of syntax in learning a new language, or do you have to relearn how to program?

I hear that Lisp is one of those languages that force you to relearn how to program, as it is very different from most languages.

So how easy is it to learn a second, third, and fourth language?
"When I got fat, I decided to grow a beard" -- The Great Andy
"Is it a DARTH visor?" and "It's funny cuz it's pants" -- The Master of on-the-spot Funniness
"You're too young for your age" and "I'm sorry for apologizing so much" -- The Master of on-the-spot Randomness

Ean
Org Profile

Post by Ean » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:23 pm

Hmm... didn't you ask this before? Oh well... Learn C! Learn it inside and out, then learn C++. C/C++ = Good times...

After learning a few programming languages, other's aren't too difficult to learn. You'll know many of the basic programming concepts, so it'll be easier to learn new ones in different languages...

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:39 pm

It really depends on what you're trying to do. All languages have distinct preferences for how they are used. C for systems development, Java for rapid prototyping, LISP for AI, PHP for web applications. It really depends on what you're trying to do.

Once you know a particular programming language, it becomes easier to pick up languages of the same type. C++ and Java are very similar as object oriented languages, and programmers in each shouldn't have much difficulty in reading each other's code for example. Lisp, ML, Scheme and whatnot being functional languages are quite different from what most people learn, and thus they complain that they are difficult.

dwb
Org Profile

Post by dwb » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:55 pm

id go with the big C. cant go wrong there. just a though this site uses php. at my work our internet programmers use alot of cold fusion.

u should also learn spanish since there everywhere. :lol:

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:33 pm

it shouldn't really be that hard to figure-out - these days ^^

when the first Home computers came out, no matter who made them, the Common Language was BASIC.
. . there were little things that were different from Computer to Computer; but, once you understood HOW basic WORKED - you could "wing" your way into getting their Computer to do what you wanted it to ^^

today most people use C instead of BASIC and the same story is true for C as for BASIC of those yester-years; once you understood HOW basic WORKED - you could "wing" your way into getting your Computer to do what you wanted it to ^^

back then, BASIC was limited to what the Programmed-Chip understood!

but today, with C and C++ there are almost NO-LIMITATIONs as to what you can accomplish ^^ and unlike BASIC if you do run into one of those things that C++ can not do, as a Delphi Programmer - he'll know the answer ^^ - hehe

traxx

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:42 am

If you want to quickly start developing web, go with PHP. It's very easy to pickup & learn, and resources are plenty.

Python is a general purpose programming language. It's got more features than PHP (you can make standalone apps with python), but it also means you'll be learning a lot. So, if you want to program standalone apps go with Python.

Return to “General Off Topic”