*.mp4... hmmm... What to do with it?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
VegettoEX
Org Profile

*.mp4... hmmm... What to do with it?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 06, 2004 2:02 pm

So I got a submission for AnimeNext in *.mp4 format. QuickTime opens it up no problem. Well, that is a problem... I'm not using QuickTime to play videos back. I'm using MCIPlay through my Hollywood card.

Now, the person was kind enough to send it in on VHS, as well, so I could capture and MPEG-2 it if I absolutely had to (which isn't SO big of a deal; did it for three videos last year). I'd like to keep things as digital as I can, though... it's such less of a mess of wires.

The file is 68.2 MB, and appears to be 720x480. Can I get some suggestions on where to start?
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu May 06, 2004 2:12 pm

Installing the 3viX codec (for the mp4 splitter) and using graphedit to port to an avi container should work...

I've just never done it myself :)

I'd imagine a combination of 3vix and ffdshow will allow you to use DirectShowSource in avisynth too.

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 06, 2004 2:13 pm

Yeah, I was figuring there's gotta be SOME way to AVIsynth my way into the video. I've never used any of the things you've mentioned, either (obviously)... this'll be fun... ! If you happen to come up with anything, lemme know :P

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu May 06, 2004 2:23 pm

I'd test it but I don't have any mp4 files lying around. I suppose I could make one....

but I'm busy :P

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 06, 2004 2:29 pm

Nah, no rush on help, or anything. The deadline's not until May 21st, and even then I've given myself plenty of time to work around any problems before I need it all done.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu May 06, 2004 3:40 pm

If mpegable's DS Decoder is installed, and CoreAAC is installed (along with the aac parser), then *.mp4's can play through DirectShow. Or instead of the mpegable decoder, if the most recent version of Nero is installed, Nero Digital's video decoder will handle it, but CoreAAC still has to be installed. Using that, it plays fine though DirectShow.

The only other thing I could suggest while keeping it digital is to decode the *.mp4 to *.avi using Quicktime Pro's 'Export' function, and then converting that to MPEG-2.

mpegable's decoder
CoreAAC and the aac parser
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Thu May 06, 2004 4:35 pm

What AD said was right. You can transmux it directly to avi in graphedit by connecting the splitter pin to the avi mux filter's input and that to a filewriter. You can't mux aac audio to avi, but you can always leave the audio decoder in so that you get pcm in the avi. Directshowsource in avisynth works as well, of course.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu May 06, 2004 5:14 pm

Tab. wrote:You can't mux aac audio to avi.
I hope you're saying that for graphedit only.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu May 06, 2004 5:19 pm

aac audio in avi is really tricky and the only way to do so at the moment is using AVIMUX-gui

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Thu May 06, 2004 5:56 pm

Jesus Christ guys, QuickTime -does- have an 'Export to AVI' function. Just export the video to HuffYUV with WAV audio using the QuickTime player and encode the AVI to what ever you want it as. Try the easy way first, huh? :P

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”