Feeling kind of stupid for asking this but...(ratios)

Heero_Yuy84
Org Profile

Feeling kind of stupid for asking this but...(ratios)

Post by Heero_Yuy84 » Fri May 02, 2003 10:57 pm

OK...long story short:
Started working on a trailer parody setting Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack to the previews for Star Trek: Nemesis
Anyways, the problem lies in the size ratios...the vid source for CCA is in the widescreen, but lacking the black bars, whereas, the Nemesis previews are in the standard 320x240...this normally wouldn't be an issue, except for the fact that I kind of wanted to use the title cards from the previews (the "A generation's final journey begins" set.) At the same time I also don't want to have to resort to cropping CCA down to fit the ration

So, simply, I guess the question I'm getting at is:
Is there any way to add the black letterbox bars to restore the 4:3 ratio to CCA, or should I just go through and remake the cards?

P.S. If there was a thread discussing this, I didn't see it (I found many asking how to REMOVE letterbox bars, but none for adding them)
If it was there and I didn't use the right buzzword in searching, sorry...
*Resident shameless Gundam fanboy*

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat May 03, 2003 3:01 am

You can add letterboxes using AVISynth, VirtualDub and Premiere. There is also the possibility, you could just import your file into Premiere and right click on it and choose "Maintain Aspect Ratio". This would squish it down and add letter boxing to it instead of smooshing it to fit the entire screen.

If that doesn't work I would use VirtualDub, add the resize filter and there is the option to "expand frame and letterbox image". You may want to use the Smart Resize filter instead of the one included with Vdub since it's a bit easier to maintain the aspect.

http://shelob.mordor.net/dgraft/resize.html

Oh and make sure you export using huffYUV in RGB mode.

~klinky

Heero_Yuy84
Org Profile

Post by Heero_Yuy84 » Sun May 04, 2003 12:17 pm

Thanks for the advice...was looking over the options and not finding anything on this one was driving me nuts.
*Resident shameless Gundam fanboy*

Return to “Video & Audio Help”