Kawaii-kon 2008 Video Contest info

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
User avatar
madmallard
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:07 pm
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Kawaii-kon 2008 Video Contest info

Post by madmallard » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Yes, a contest is still taking place, bear with us.

Rules & info will be posted shortly. :]
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

User avatar
madmallard
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:07 pm
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:56 am

rules & info

http://kawaii-kon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4569

The upload schedule will be announced soon.
The Deadline for all entries is March 15th, 2008.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

User avatar
madmallard
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:07 pm
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:56 am

Previous winners, I am assembling a special treat for you. Looking forward to more of your submissions. :)
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

User avatar
808-buma
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:40 pm
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Yes folks - even out in Hawaii we have our own AMV contests! Love to see you all compete there as well! Hope to see your entries!
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:50 am
Status: Melancholy
Location: SOS-Dan HQ
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:41 am

:D
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

User avatar
WesW
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Florence, Al.
Org Profile

Post by WesW » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Noob question: Why such tough audio restrictions?
Would a 320bit mp3 source not be good enough?
I like to mix in some show audio for my vids, and usually it's 192 or 128 bit to start with.
Also, the highest setting on the ripping program I use is 172, 16bit stereo for PCM.
Would I be disqualified for these "infractions"?

If you will, please take a look at my newest vid, and let me know if it would be accepted. (The song source is 320bit mp3.)
If you would add your thoughts on the video quality and whether it's a quality vid in general I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=156247

User avatar
madmallard
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:07 pm
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:56 pm

well, technically speaking, common mp3 specifications have the maximum possible as 320kps, so to answer your question, yes, thats good enough.

as far as the 'why', its because it is best for your video when you have it shown. We're at a point now where its such a small data size hit to up that audio bitrate, the benefits are so much better when you start blasting that song over 500watts RMS on big speakers. In Kawaii-kon's case more than 2000 watt speakers.

While things as low as 128kps might be okay for gaming headphones, Built in LCD speakers, or low listening level speakers, its starts suffering exposure very easily. I first noticed this at AWA when we set up the VAT for or 2nd and 3rd year. Our tech guy custom built our speakers and upped us to around 3000 watts overall, and it became real obvious who was using heavy compression on their vids.

If you need a ripper with a higher bitrate, look up CDex its a free program using the LAME mp3 engine.

but your other question i don't understand: what do you mean 'show audio?' like recordings from the show?
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

User avatar
WesW
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Florence, Al.
Org Profile

Post by WesW » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:07 am

sixstop wrote:well, technically speaking, common mp3 specifications have the maximum possible as 320kps, so to answer your question, yes, thats good enough.

as far as the 'why', its because it is best for your video when you have it shown. We're at a point now where its such a small data size hit to up that audio bitrate, the benefits are so much better when you start blasting that song over 500watts RMS on big speakers. In Kawaii-kon's case more than 2000 watt speakers.

While things as low as 128kps might be okay for gaming headphones, Built in LCD speakers, or low listening level speakers, its starts suffering exposure very easily. I first noticed this at AWA when we set up the VAT for or 2nd and 3rd year. Our tech guy custom built our speakers and upped us to around 3000 watts overall, and it became real obvious who was using heavy compression on their vids.

If you need a ripper with a higher bitrate, look up CDex its a free program using the LAME mp3 engine.

but your other question i don't understand: what do you mean 'show audio?' like recordings from the show?
Ok, thanks for the explanation. Actually, I do use CDex for my cd rips, it's just that I have more time on my hands than money, due to chronic health problems, so I can find a 320bit download better than I can justify buying a cd just to rip a song off it.
As for show audio, what I mean is dvd audio from the rips. I mixed that with song audio for the opening of the vid I posted the link to before.
In file properties, it lists the bitrate as 128 for the finished vid, but I hope this just applies to the dvd audio.

User avatar
madmallard
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:07 pm
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:11 pm

If one of your sources came in at 128kps, there's not much you can do about it, but don't downgrade your 320kps source to match it.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

User avatar
madmallard
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:07 pm
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:18 pm

upload FTPs will be opened tonight, stay tuned for the email address for requests. :)
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

User avatar
madmallard
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:07 pm
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:56 am

FTP uploading is open, please email a request to receive an entry form and upload login.


kkamv08@ryo-oh-ki.net

:D
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:25 am
Status: I has a TRU Arceus
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:52 pm

zomg I'm entering O: only a few days left O:

User avatar
Radical_Yue
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:45 pm
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:59 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:zomg I'm entering O: only a few days left O:

x2 :O


Now someone start giving out teh FTPs xD


*goes back to stalking email

User avatar
Melichan923
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 8:21 am
Location: New Hampshire
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Melichan923 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:zomg I'm entering O: only a few days left O:

x2 :O


Now someone start giving out teh FTPs xD


*goes back to stalking email
x3 :)

*Waits for the email*
Image
Image Image

User avatar
madmallard
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:07 pm
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 pm

i work odd hours so setup emails may come intermittently.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

Locked

Return to “AMV Contests”