Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Genericon XX AMV Contest [Winners announced in last post]

Post by ChronoWraith » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:00 pm

Contest Submission is CLOSED

Rules
1. Only 2 videos per studio
2. Videos must be at least 75% anime (not videogame)
3. Video must have been completed after Jan. 1 2006, and before Jan. 19 2007
4. All content MUST be PG-13
--->PG13 means NO excessive violence or sexual nudity
5. Videos can be no longer than 7 minutes
6. No Multi-Editor Projects
7. No Downloaded footage (clarification: RAWs are allowed if high quality footage)
8. Each video may only be used for 1 category
9. No Logos/Subtitles/TV station overlays.
10. No low quality encodes, if we deem the video unviewable you will be requested to send a higher quality version. If you are unable to provide one your video will be disqualified.

The categories are:

1. Action
2. Comedy
3. Drama/Horror
4. Romance

Prizes will be given for the following:
1. Best Action
2. Best Comedy
3. Best Drama/Horror
4. Best Romance
5. Viewer's Choice
6. Judge's Choice

Submission methods:

Snail-mail (address is on the submission form)
Mega Upload/You Send it/some other web hosting service (e-mail the link to chronowraith[-at-]comcast[-dot-]net)
If needed e-mail/PM me if for some reason you need to send it over AIM/MSN

Submission format:
mpeg2 (guide)
any lossless codec (lagarith, huffyuv, etc.) however, do not expect me to deal with downloading a 2gig file.
720x480 is preferred(this means letterboxing might be helpful to you), however if you submit in another resolution I will handle the resizing/letterboxing. If your trust me to do it that is fine.
29.97 fps

Misc.
If we have more videos than we have time to show then the judges will decide which videos to cut and which videos to show. All those who make it to the "Finals" will be notified by e-mail so please be sure to include that on your submission sheet.

Also, since I cannot get access to an FTP server, if you have any more methods you can think of to send videos please let me know.
Last edited by ChronoWraith on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:09 am, edited 11 times in total.
<----Place Holder---->

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Re: Genericon XX AMV Contest

Post by Orwell » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:43 am

ChronoWraith wrote:4. All content MUST be PG-13
5. Videos can be no longer than 5 minutes
:x
Will there be any showings outside of the actual contest?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Post by ChronoWraith » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:54 am

We are currently debating that issue. There is normaly a scheduled block where AMVs are shown (not for contest) but we are unsure of whether we will do that this year. Possibly it will become an overflow block. If you have an MEP you want to premiere there I can bring it up at the next meeting on Wed. or see if I can get an answer earlier by e-mail.
<----Place Holder---->

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:42 am

ChronoWraith wrote: 1. Only 2 videos per studio

since there's no MEPs allowed, wouldn't it make more since to have 2 videos per person rather than studio?
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:44 am

since it's just mpeg 2s, i could probably host a ftp for ya. send me a PM if you're interested
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Post by ChronoWraith » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:44 am

Minion wrote:
ChronoWraith wrote: 1. Only 2 videos per studio

since there's no MEPs allowed, wouldn't it make more since to have 2 videos per person rather than studio?
For the most part limiting it to 2 per studio is the same as limiting it to 2 per person. But this has the added benefit of limiting studio participation.
Minion wrote:since it's just mpeg 2s, i could probably host a ftp for ya. send me a PM if you're interested
I'll think about it and get back to you, but that could be very useful.
<----Place Holder---->

ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Post by ChronoWraith » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:52 am

submission form is now up.
<----Place Holder---->

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:21 am

do you have a website for the convention?

ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Post by ChronoWraith » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:25 am

here All the information isn't up yet. Info for the AMV Contest is both on the forums here and the forums there.
<----Place Holder---->

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:34 am

okay are you allowed to enter more than one video into the same category?

ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Post by ChronoWraith » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:39 am

JaddziaDax wrote:okay are you allowed to enter more than one video into the same category?
Yes, if you so wish. But if we don't have enough room to show all the videos then one of the videos will most likely be taken out in order to make it as fair as possible. But as far as the rules are concerned it's fair.
<----Place Holder---->

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:40 am

no stress im just trying to formulate which videos i might want to enter

ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Post by ChronoWraith » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:51 am

Reminder that there is only about a month left before the submission date. We need entries so please, submit your AMVs!
<----Place Holder---->

BauziOLD
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by BauziOLD » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:07 pm

4. All content MUST be PG-13
What does this mean :?:

Ok uhm... I want to submit my new amv if it is done. So I want to submit a 720x576 version of my video. Is this a problem or do you need 720x480 or any other ressolution?
ImageImageImage

Illia Sadri
Org Profile

Post by Illia Sadri » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:09 pm

Alright let me offer some suggestions if you want to get more than a handful of entries, particularly since this is a first year thing.

Accept more than just mpeg2. It is entirely understandable why you don't want certain formats because they look autrocious and/or are a pain to convert. However if someone is willing to burn you a dvd with a high quality non-compressed huffy file, then usually that is a good thing. However the more you limit it the worse off you will be because a lot of people will just ignore it.

Define PG13. How far is too far? shown genitalia of any kind such as breast/nipple etc. Or if it uses all the most bloody scenes from say Berserk and elfin Leid with not much else. You need to give a ballpark to clarify for people. If they are uncertain about their action vid they probably won't bother wasting time.

allow multi-editor videos but regulate that if they do one combines that they can't each enter seperately. Just limit to 2 people per group/studio. Just as fair and doesn't discriminate against anyone who just happens to work in a pair. Trust me it doesn't come up often anyway. Multi editor projects are different than a collaboration and tend to not be entered directly into contests anyway. And also a time limit also reduces the chance of a multi editor project such as reflections of style, video game project or amv hell from being entered.

Explain video format. What framerate? 23.976? 29.97? interlaced or progressive scan? Even with one file format there are multiple ways that a video can be encoded.

My suggestion is go to some of the convention amv rules and see what tends to be allowed. We more or less have slight variations on the same thing. It will give you an idea of how things are run and probably would improve the clarity of your rules so that you will have the bets possible first year contest.

Return to “AMV Contests”