We need a leader

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
jubjub2
Org Profile

Post by jubjub2 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:27 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:O.O
I would say "puts lipstick on with her boobs" but >< I've never tried it...
>.>

<.<

It can be done. I would prefer the captain crunch and pixie stix sandwich myself.
dokidoki wrote: <shakes dandruff onto video>
Although, dandruff on the video might just be the ahead-of-the-pack effect we need 'round here!

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu May 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Pyle wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Make no mistake about it, Euphoria changed AMVs forever. The day it came out, it was so far ahead of its time that you had a large group of people throwing up their arms saying "I can't compete with that".
This is the only post in this whole topic that made me chuckle, because I actually do remember watching it for the first time and saying, "Damn, there's no way I could make shit that hot," to myself.
When I watched it, I suddenly remembered that I was almost late with my NES Project beta and Flux went on an AIM rampage that weekend on editors. I think. :shock:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 pm

MaboroshiStudio wrote:
MCWagner wrote:
outlawed wrote:Kevin and Joe were both leaders. They got the hell out of AMVs. We could all learn much from this.
MM, one of the best AMVers I ever saw, recently said that "the moment video editing became available on the home PC and accessable to everyone, the entire hobby should have packed up shop and gone home." Should I follow that?
MaboroshiStudio wrote:and Wagner... damn I have tried to become a model citizen so why you got to be hatin. hehe
Damn, dude, you still around? I thought you left for greener pastures. Consider it payback for leaving us hanging at that first Iron Chef. :)
doh... heheh ok I did punk out on the original iron chef, but you have to admit I put on a good drunken master show vs Hsien the time I did do it.

As far as the first Iron Chef it was just brutal the schedule since it was right after the AMV contest (bad idea whoever put it at this time slot) and all my friends were like screw u dude we are going to dinner! I picked my friends sorry...

As far as the amv hobby... it is very much like fansubs. Fansubbers used to be an elite group of select fans who spent tons of money for their labour of love. Very much like anime videos it became very easy to do fansubs. For most of the people amv and fansubs it did kinda make it less exclusive taking the fun out of it, but with anything there will always be change.

I also don't see any single video or a so called leader ever happening again. It isn't needed either since there is are so many creators and every video now is like a single drop in a vast sea vs before when it was a tiny pond.
Update your site, or at least your org page you web footed hooker, you.
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Thu May 18, 2006 8:58 pm

Castor Troy wrote: When I watched it, I suddenly remembered that I was almost late with my NES Project beta and Flux went on an AIM rampage that weekend on editors. I think. :shock:
Those were good times...

themaan
Org Profile

Post by themaan » Thu May 18, 2006 10:41 pm

Wow, I haven't been to the org for well over a year...I'm a teenager and I feel old...

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in on this, I don't think we necissarily need some big defining video right now. For most people, I think it may just crush their spirit a little bit, I remember watching "Euphoria" and feeling very discouraged about my own work.
But on the other hand, it sometimes makes you feel empty without that big video, like you have nothing to shoot for.

Basically, I don't have a point, I'm indifferent and don't mind if there's no "leader." Hell, I haven't made a video in a long time! Well...yeah...this is my triumphant forum return I suppose... :roll:
Image Appeared on RDS 2/2/05

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Fri May 19, 2006 3:36 am

MCWagner wrote:...But I don't think there's any harm discussing new ideas, wondering at the lack of recent innovation, and this might shake some AMVers out of the self-imposed complacent boredom they've gotten into from seeing so many similar videos. It just seems that milling around in the same old music & the same old matches is boring the creators as much as the audience.
Yup <nods>.

I do think Kai is onto something in that there are only so many ways to compose on a video screen. And with a quarter million AMVs out there, whatever technique you might think of, someone's done it already. So the impulse is, "Why bother?" Maybe a return to basics would bring some life back into the field.

Maboroshi has a point, too. There's an interesting similarity to modern Science (meaning post-Renaissance). The beginning was marked with the many Big Names we all learn about in school (or used to). Nowadays there is more science being done than ever, but most of it is mediocre work done by people no one will ever know.

I also find it interesting that only the AMV world gets wrapped up in these dilemmas. It's hard to imagine commercial music vidders caring the least bit about where their efforts are leading (other than a paycheck).

RolltheStampede
Org Profile

Post by RolltheStampede » Fri May 19, 2006 9:07 pm

I dont know about you guys but my next AMV will take full use of the Nintendo Wii's 3d motion sending remote.
Newest Video:Cirque du Kaliedo
Video Pimpage Loves got to be there | Sungazing | 7 Seas of Enishi

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Sat May 20, 2006 1:32 pm

dang no time to read EVERY post, but uh...

I think the only real leaders set the bar by making...

a new Genre of video... :P

My silent salute forever to Odorikuruu.

From what I can tell, NOBODY ever made a video since then that asked for a new genre for the site. lol

Will MADs be next?
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

ssj4lonewolf
Org Profile

Post by ssj4lonewolf » Sat May 20, 2006 3:49 pm

mads are just wayy too fast and pumped to be real entertaining to me. Its just like "ok throw random effect here, with techno(extremely fast techno) music"...not exciting. In fact, its some of the random videos I've seen recently. I'm not saying they are bad videos, because technically they are on point, but it just gives the feel of been there and done that.

I personally think that when someone does an amv that makes someone say "Wow I didnt know that this music could be used to this anime" is what we need right now. I've been quite astounded on how many times I have hurd that about my videos. I wanna see some more of those videos.
Oh god, that black dude with the afro is always making those damn trash ass music hip hop amvs...he needs to do something with techno or rock....
.......as if I would do something like that.
おおかみなく

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sat May 20, 2006 7:47 pm

One possibility we haven't thought of is: maybe this is as far as it goes. I mean, there have been so many things tried in so many vids that it's hard to do something original. Maybe amvs have reached their limit both in a technical and a conseptual sense. Euphoria and Technique beat pushed the limits with effects, The Race and Tainted Donuts pushed the rotoscoping limits. What's left to top? Everythings been done. (Btw, I HATED The Race.) Lots of people have the knowledge and ability to make amazing vids, and lots of vids are amazing, but don't hold your breath for the next Euphoria. If that made no sense then just ignore me.

Return to “General AMV”