The Pros and Cons of Virtual Dub

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
RamonesFan2020204
Org Profile

The Pros and Cons of Virtual Dub

Post by RamonesFan2020204 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:23 pm

Well, Niotex taught me how to XviD earlier today, so I decided to make a video to try it out. I don't know if I should be satisfied or not. It reduces the resolution, but increases the file size! Any thoughts?
Now available in MP4 format for the iPod Video.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:25 pm

wha? :?
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

RamonesFan2020204
Org Profile

Post by RamonesFan2020204 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:27 pm

Castor Troy wrote:wha? :?
What do you mean "wha?" ?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:31 pm

Virtualdub does not reduce the resolution, nor does it increase the filesize. You apparently just dont know what you are doing. Try reading some of the guides: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:37 pm

(Sounds more like a Video Software Help issue)

But, if you want to reduce the size of your XviD, you would have to:

- Compress your audio

In VDubMod, go to the Streams menu and pick Stream List. Then, right click on your audio stream and select Full Processing Mode. Finally, right-click on the stream again and select compression. Use Lame MP3 (or MP3), 128kbps is usually the best quality to size.

- Reduce the target quantizer value

When you save your video and open the window to select your codec, click on the XviD and click Configure. Then, just move the slider bar to where you believe would be best for you.

However, the higher your quantizer value, the smaller your video file but the worse in quality it gets. Mine is set on 3, which seems to be fine - good quality and nicely sized video.

Try those and see if your XviD AVI reduces in size (which it should significantly).
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

RamonesFan2020204
Org Profile

Post by RamonesFan2020204 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:34 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Virtualdub does not reduce the resolution, nor does it increase the filesize. You apparently just dont know what you are doing. Try reading some of the guides: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/
Niotex made a video file of what I needed to do, and I followed it carefully.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:06 am

Then Niotex did not make it clear that XviD doesn't affect the resolution. That's what AVISynth (or VirtualDub/Mod if you prefer to use its filters instead) is for.

As for filesize, you should be able to specify just about any size you want with the target filesize/bitrate setting (unless you seriously screwed up your quantizer settings perhaps).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

RamonesFan2020204
Org Profile

Post by RamonesFan2020204 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:31 am

I've been trying to get a hold of him to show him what I made to see if I did everything right, but he hasn't responded so far. Maybe he's asleep or something. It's like 6:30 AM over where he is.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:06 am

virtualdub is a frameserving program. xvid is a codec. i'm assuming you want to discuss the pros + cons of xvid.

while niotex may have created a video to instruct you the process of xvid compression, the technical guide will explain to you the technology and functionality behind compression methods such as xvid.

when you say xvid increases filesize, are you recompressing an internet-distribution size video (such as one compressed with divx, wmv, mpeg) or are you compressing an uncompressed/lossless video? if you recompress an internet-distribution size video, there's a good chance you'll end up with a larger filesize than the original video (and there's rarely any reason to do this in the first place). if you compress an uncompressed/lossless video, you'll almost always reduce the filesize significantly.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”