Official AWA Results: Expo Contest

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.
User avatar
MCWagner
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:37 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Official AWA Results: Expo Contest

Postby MCWagner » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:10 am

Well, I learned my lesson last year about waiting to get all the info I needed to confirm everything. I'm sure there's some errors in this list (reversing obscure band names with the names of their songs...misspelling names, etc.) but I get responses a lot faster from y'all than I do from my staff, so I'll go ahead and post the list

Here's Expo:

Best Trailer
Goes to DJ Izumi’s SynMedia
For the Video “Mireille Boquet Noir Raider”
To the audio from the Tomb Raider Movie by Paramount Pictures
To the Anime Noir

Best Romance
Goes to Jani Kauppila
For the Video “Insomnia”
To the song “Sleep” by the band Conjure One
To the Anime “Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou”

Best Sentimental
Goes to Kareef “bakadeshi” Huggins of AuN Studios
For the Video “Oratorio of Ghibli”
To the music “Flying” by James Newton Howard
To Various Anime

Best Parody
Goes to Dark Side Productions
For the Video “Rock Lee: Mentos’ Spokesperson”
To the audio “The Freshmaker” from the Mentos Corporation
To the Anime Naruto

“Pop Will Eat Itself” Award (amusing hobby self-reference)
Goes to Phil “Mr. Pilkington” Conrad
For the Video “OMG Du Hast”
To the song “Du Hast” by the band Boney Nem
To the Anime Akira

Best Dance
Goes to Tatjana of GAS Studio
For the Video “Ah! My Destiny”
To the song Dam Dariram from the game Dance Dance Revolution
To the Anime Ah! My Goddess Movie.

Best Character Profile
Goes to Jeff Hudecek of Blood Sugar Productions
For the Video “The Hawk’s Talon: Judeau”
To the song “Not Enough” by the group Flaw
To the Anime Berserk

Best Action
Goes to “WuWu”
For the Video “Matrix Opus”
To the song “Bohemian Rhapsody” by the band Queen
To the Matrix Trilogy

Best Fight
Goes to Yann J. Tyler
For the Video “Kill Spike”
To music from the film “Kill Bill”
To the Anime “Cowboy Bebop, Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”

Best Live Action
Goes to Hsien Lee of Kusoyaro Productions
For the Video “Peninsula Pomegranate Pendegrass”
To the song of the same name by Halley
To the film “Lost in Translation”

Best Artistic Endeavour
Goes to Alberto Gonzalez
For the Video “Key of Time”
To the song “30 minutes” by t.A.T.u
To the Anime Key the Metal Idol

Best Nostalgic
Goes to Fred Graupp of Studio Tarantella
For the Video “Gina”
To the OST from “Somewhere In Time”
To the Anime “Porco Rosso”

Best Upbeat
Goes to Thomas Hare
For the Video “Azumanga-Perfect Day”
To the song “Perfect Day” by Hoku
To the Anime Azumanga Daioh

Best Technical
Goes to Tim Stair of NHMK
For the Video “Images”
To the song “Politik” by Coldplay
To the Anime Last Exile

Best Instrumental
Goes to jasper-isis (Helen) and krzT (Kristie) of Allegretto Productions
For the Video “Absolution”
To the song “Allegretto” by Bond
To the Anime Ah! My Goddess Movie

Best Comedy
Goes to Carlos Corral of MindWarp Entertainment
For the Video “Naruto’s United States of Whatever”
To the song “United States of Whatever” by Liam Lynch
To the Anime Naruto

Best Drama
Goes to Walter Scott of Graven Image
For the Video “Versailles Paradise”
To the song “Pastime Paradise” by Stevie Wonder
To the Anime Rose of Versailles

Grand Prize
Goes to Lee ‘Lostboy’ Thompson
For the Video “Nemutai Yatsura”
To the song “Am I awake?” by They Might Be Giants
To the Anime Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer
Last edited by MCWagner on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

User avatar
MCWagner
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:37 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby MCWagner » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:16 am

PS: You'll notice that the Fan Favorite and my own award have not yet been given. They're still being debated (no chance to meet with staff since the con, and I'm stymied on my own choices) and will be added to the list via moderator (I hope) once they're finalized.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

TaranT
Joined: Wed May 16, 2001 11:20 pm
Org Profile

Postby TaranT » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:48 am

MCWagner wrote:Best Nostalgic
Goes to Fred Graupp of Studio Tarantella
For the Video “Gina”
To the OST from “Somewhere In Time”
To the Anime “Porco Rosso”

This is different than what kholaras posted and the only difference between the two lists. But you're the boss, so I'm going to go with what you posted. And besides, I like your list better: "Gina" is the better video of the two.

User avatar
MCWagner
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:37 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby MCWagner » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:13 am

TaranT wrote:
MCWagner wrote:Best Nostalgic
Goes to Fred Graupp of Studio Tarantella
For the Video “Gina”
To the OST from “Somewhere In Time”
To the Anime “Porco Rosso”

This is different than what kholaras posted and the only difference between the two lists. But you're the boss, so I'm going to go with what you posted. And besides, I like your list better: "Gina" is the better video of the two.


I'll go ahead and admit to this... there was another screwup in the showing that we didn't bring up at the time. Somehow the wrong vid was shown as having won the award during the ceremony, but they were both by you, so we let that one slide. I was hoping to get the correct report out there and gloss over the mistake, but it appears one of my staffers went out and posted the wrong stuff without checking with me first. Dammit.

Ohhhhh yeah. I was having fun up there this year. :(
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

User avatar
Lostboy
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 12:02 am
Location: Memphis, TN
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Lostboy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:28 am

I was so, so honored to have won. :) When I went on stage and said, "I can't believe I beat all those other videos," I heard someone in the audience say something about ego. I think my remark could have been misunderstood. I said that because I thought so many of the Expo videos were so good, I'm surprised I got grand prize. I know that my video is good, and I'm happy with the outcome, but I'm also a harsh critic of my own work. So when I see it against all those other videos, I boggle at how it actually won such high distinction against such masterful videos. I'm very happy, though, to know that it's so appreciated. And I was glad that we got to call attention to how overlooked Urusei Yatsura is in the eyes of the modern anime fans. When 95% of the audience has never seen Beautiful Dreamer, something needs fixing. So if my video motivated a few people to look into UY, then it was worthwhile. :)

TaranT
Joined: Wed May 16, 2001 11:20 pm
Org Profile

Postby TaranT » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:26 pm

MCWagner wrote:I'll go ahead and admit to this... there was another screwup in the showing that we didn't bring up at the time. Somehow the wrong vid was shown as having won the award during the ceremony, but they were both by you, so we let that one slide. I was hoping to get the correct report out there and gloss over the mistake, but it appears one of my staffers went out and posted the wrong stuff without checking with me first. Dammit.

Ohhhhh yeah. I was having fun up there this year. :(

Sounds like it ! Anyway, there's no grief at my end. Whichever is fine. :)

Lostboy wrote:...And I was glad that we got to call attention to how overlooked Urusei Yatsura is in the eyes of the modern anime fans. When 95% of the audience has never seen Beautiful Dreamer, something needs fixing. So if my video motivated a few people to look into UY, then it was worthwhile.

UY is definitely overlooked and especially this movie. I'll be looking for your vid as soon as you find a host for it.

User avatar
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:22 am
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby dwchang » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:35 pm

TaranT wrote:
Lostboy wrote:...And I was glad that we got to call attention to how overlooked Urusei Yatsura is in the eyes of the modern anime fans. When 95% of the audience has never seen Beautiful Dreamer, something needs fixing. So if my video motivated a few people to look into UY, then it was worthwhile.

UY is definitely overlooked and especially this movie. I'll be looking for your vid as soon as you find a host for it.


I've seen it, but I won't lie...I was forced to since it was one of the ingredients for Iron Chef at ACen earlier this year...;) Good stuff regardless.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

User avatar
MCWagner
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:37 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby MCWagner » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:33 pm

TaranT wrote:
Lostboy wrote:...And I was glad that we got to call attention to how overlooked Urusei Yatsura is in the eyes of the modern anime fans. When 95% of the audience has never seen Beautiful Dreamer, something needs fixing. So if my video motivated a few people to look into UY, then it was worthwhile.

UY is definitely overlooked and especially this movie. I'll be looking for your vid as soon as you find a host for it.


Yeah, while announcing the winner I asked the audience to all raise their hands if they hadn't seen UY: Beautiful Dreamer. Then I demanded that they all go out and find the film, since it's easily one of the best Animes ever made....
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

User avatar
Yuki Kedamono
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:10 pm
Location: I have been to the pits of hell, and where I am know does not bother me...
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Yuki Kedamono » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:39 pm

yay
"Where may I find the man who has forgotten words, so that I may have a word with him?"
"United we stand...divided we fall... That's a lot of bodies"
"Life sucks... but at least my beds comfortable"

User avatar
Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2001 10:03 pm
Location: HOT FUCKING
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Kusoyaro » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:14 pm

*reads all 3 AWA announcement threads*

No love for Iron Chef :cry:
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 1:23 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby VegettoEX » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:16 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:No love for Iron Chef :cry:

You'll get your love, don't worry. 8-)
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] - [| AnimeNEXT AMV Contest Coordinator |] ::
:: [| Daizenshuu EX (website/podcast) |] - [| AMV Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: I'm Above The Age Of 10 And I Like Pokemon |] ::

User avatar
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:22 am
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby dwchang » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kusoyaro wrote:No love for Iron Chef :cry:

You'll get your love, don't worry. 8-)


I look forward to the AWA 11 lap dance of doom :oops:
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

User avatar
The Wired Knight
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 3:22 pm
Status: Attorney At Law
Location: Right next door to you
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby The Wired Knight » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:46 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:*reads all 3 AWA announcement threads*

No love for Iron Chef :cry:


At this point I think it's a given who won :wink:

Congrats to all the winners btw.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

kholaras
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:57 pm
Org Profile

Postby kholaras » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:47 pm

MCWagner wrote:
TaranT wrote:
MCWagner wrote:Best Nostalgic
Goes to Fred Graupp of Studio Tarantella
For the Video “Gina”
To the OST from “Somewhere In Time”
To the Anime “Porco Rosso”

This is different than what kholaras posted and the only difference between the two lists. But you're the boss, so I'm going to go with what you posted. And besides, I like your list better: "Gina" is the better video of the two.


I'll go ahead and admit to this... there was another screwup in the showing that we didn't bring up at the time. Somehow the wrong vid was shown as having won the award during the ceremony, but they were both by you, so we let that one slide. I was hoping to get the correct report out there and gloss over the mistake, but it appears one of my staffers went out and posted the wrong stuff without checking with me first. Dammit.


Sorry Matt and everyone else. First year on staff and I guess I overstepped my bounds. It was a long two weekends of judging and an even longer con weekend, so I'm not really sure where it got messed up. Probably just read off the wrong line of my printouts.

I'll keep my mouth shut in the future :)

User avatar
Lostboy
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 12:02 am
Location: Memphis, TN
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Lostboy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:35 pm

MCWagner wrote:Yeah, while announcing the winner I asked the audience to all raise their hands if they hadn't seen UY: Beautiful Dreamer. Then I demanded that they all go out and find the film, since it's easily one of the best Animes ever made....


And did anyone ever notice that the movie Dark City borrowed gratuitously from Beautiful Dreamer?


Return to “AMV Contests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests