End Cards on YouTube (not good)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
seasons
Org Profile

End Cards on YouTube (not good)

Post by seasons » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:23 pm

In general, I think these should not be applied to AMVs. They will always cover the screen at the end of a video and cannot be removed by disabling video annotations or any other means.

It would be one thing if you have an AMV with an end credits sequence, but even then, the pop up boxes will obscure something that you put a lot of work into trying to make just right.

I really don't mean to call out anyone specific here, these are just a few examples and I hope they get my point across.

This video is less than 2 minutes long, yet the screen starts to get cluttered with this stuff starting at the 1:32 mark. That's 18% of the video's runtime with something big covering up 10% of the screen, with an additional 5-6% of the screen covered shortly afterward in the opposite corner.

This card pops up at the conclusion of the video in what's supposed to be an emotionally devastating climax. The moment is completely ruined! I'm really not sure that the editor of this video is aware of how this option on YouTube actually sabotages his work.

YouTube will never stop coming up with new ways to "engage" your viewers. You can say no to these and sometimes there's good reason to.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: End Cards on YouTube (not good)

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Agreed! Just another reason to use a third-party downloader and watch them in your favorite media player!

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 pm

What do the people who run third-party downloader sites actually get out of the deal?

You have to pay human beings to make these sites and host them and keep them from breaking down, etc. They use a ton of bandwidth and storage space, etc.

But you can just go over to [website name] and it easily rips your favorite YouTube videos straight to your hard drive? And it's free?

Who are these people? Are they truly so kind? If they're not after your money, then what is it that they truly desire? Who would host such a service with nothing to gain?

What is it, then, that these third-party downloader websites run by people (?) stand to gain from this arrangement? Do you catch my drift

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:58 pm

In short, do I get a virus on my computer when I use these sites?

It's equivalent exchange, you know

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:23 am

Just use a video player that has youtube-dl support to act as a bridge to support playback from the URL. No need for third-party downloader sites.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Or unsusubscribe and dislike :amv: Never did this :bear:
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “General AMV”