Aberration

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: seasons, Mol

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Locked
User avatar
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:01 pm
Status: Maybe editing?
Location: Chicago
Contact:
Org Profile

Aberration

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 pm




This was my AWA Pro entry -- didn't win anything, but I don't mind. I'd had this idea for years and it came out exactly how I wanted it to. I'm really happy with it. The feedback in the Pro thread was pretty lukewarm, but to address some of the issues I saw come up -- it's meant to be slow and foggy and disconcerting, much more about atmosphere than story. I understand that this is not to everyone's tastes, but if you like those kinds of videos than you may enjoy this one.

Oh, and uh...WARNING THIS VIDEO IS VERY FLASHY NEAR THE END I guess >_>

User avatar
TnAdct1
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:23 am
Location: Clinton, MD
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by TnAdct1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:51 pm

Between this, Iron Drowned, and one of my Pro entries (Ready for the Popuko), there's definitely a number of videos at Pro this year where part of the homage/parody would fly over some viewers heads.

User avatar
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:01 pm
Status: Maybe editing?
Location: Chicago
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:55 am

TnAdct1 wrote:Between this, Iron Drowned, and one of my Pro entries (Ready for the Popuko), there's definitely a number of videos at Pro this year where part of the homage/parody would fly over some viewers heads.
Yeah, I'd have been shocked if anyone who watched this got that it's a parody of a kind. Even my friend, whom I had showed this to and is familiar with James Blake's music, never actually saw the official music video and so didn't get that I was emulating the style.

User avatar
vkamv
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 am
Status: Madoka is life.
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by vkamv » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:58 am

CrackTheSky wrote:


This was my AWA Pro entry -- didn't win anything, but I don't mind. I'd had this idea for years and it came out exactly how I wanted it to. I'm really happy with it. The feedback in the Pro thread was pretty lukewarm, but to address some of the issues I saw come up -- it's meant to be slow and foggy and disconcerting, much more about atmosphere than story. I understand that this is not to everyone's tastes, but if you like those kinds of videos than you may enjoy this one.

Oh, and uh...WARNING THIS VIDEO IS VERY FLASHY NEAR THE END I guess >_>
Visual/Audio: The visuals were the main driving force of this AMV. I enjoyed the effect you applied even if it made it hard to see what was happening, which was probably your intent. It’s a video you have to almost watch this on a macro level, observing the scenes as a whole visually, instead of focusing in and attempting to decipher what is happening within any specific scene. The visuals fit the mood and chill pace of the song well.

Synchronization: The sync was solid from start to finish. I particularly enjoyed the flickering effect you used towards to end with the overlays to match the different shifts in the beat of the song. You also did a great job with the lip sync. I enjoyed the subtle and disperses appearance of a lip sync here and there. Definitely added a more human element to the AMV and improved the overall cohesiveness between the anime and the audio, as if they were created for each other in mind.

Story/Theme: I have not seen this anime, so I cannot comment on how much you diverged from the original content. The main themes appeared to me to be despair and disillusionment, and you stayed faithful to that theme throughout.

An unique and enjoyable watch.

User avatar
seasons
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:31 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by seasons » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Yeah, still haven't watched the music video this is based on. Although the last time I did this with such a deliberate parody, it kind of took the magic out of the AMV for me.

I love the atmosphere in this, I love how slow it's paced and how there's a really unexpected sense of tension in it that it builds and builds and never really resolves itself in a typical AMV fashion. It's been years since I watched Mushishi but this really captures the dream-like feel that I got from it as a whole.

I have a lot of thoughts about this video getting a SEIZURE WARNING and how much that's deserved but it's hard to explain. I'd really love to emphasize that this video is not out to FUCK YOUR RETINAS like you might expect but yeah, maybe photosensitive viewers should approach with caution. Warning people who can be triggered by this stuff is a very good thing! That said, I do hope that everyone else watches this in a dark room because there's a lot going on here that might not be fully appreciated, say, watching it on your phone at lunch or whatever.

I love this video as proof that you don't need After Effects or lots of plugins (?) to make something really creative or visually distinct, there's so much you can do with what you've already got that no one's even thinking of trying.

This is the most balm AMV experience I've ever had.

User avatar
vkamv
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 am
Status: Madoka is life.
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by vkamv » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:37 pm

seasons wrote:Yeah, still haven't watched the music video this is based on. Although the last time I did this with such a deliberate parody, it kind of took the magic out of the AMV for me.
Wow. I never saw that Cold Play music video and it definitely made me look at that AMV in a different way. I didn't know it was so heavily based and mimicking the music video like. Definitely makes the AMV seem less original and "magical" like you stated.

User avatar
seasons
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:31 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by seasons » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 pm

vkamv wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Wow. I never saw that Cold Play music video and it definitely made me look at that AMV in a different way. I didn't know it was so heavily based and mimicking the music video like. Definitely makes the AMV seem less original and "magical" like you stated.
The more I think about it, I mean absolutely nobody would use this logic on an AMV like this, so I don't know if I'm being completely fair here to Sunlight's video.

User avatar
vkamv
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 am
Status: Madoka is life.
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by vkamv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:05 pm

seasons wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 pm
seasons wrote:
vkamv wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Wow. I never saw that Cold Play music video and it definitely made me look at that AMV in a different way. I didn't know it was so heavily based and mimicking the music video like. Definitely makes the AMV seem less original and "magical" like you stated.
The more I think about it, I mean absolutely nobody would use this logic on an AMV like this, so I don't know if I'm being completely fair here to Sunlight's video.
Season's, you've now you've shattered my perception of another AMV. I saw that dokidoki AMV a few months ago and thought it was pretty clever. I never heard of the Van Halen song or seen the official music video of it so I never made the connection to the music video. Since you pointed it out I decided to see the official video just now and... yeah. :rofl:

Oh well.

User avatar
AMVAR
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 pm
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by AMVAR » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Such a peaceful feeling. Loved the pace of it, make me feel all relaxed. Congratulations on the work ^_^

User avatar
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:01 pm
Status: Maybe editing?
Location: Chicago
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Aberration

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:43 pm

I actually never realized that Sunlight's video was a parody of the official Coldplay music video. Surprisingly, it doesn't affect my opinion of it at all -- he added enough original flair and narrative to it to make it feel like a separate entity. But I can totally understand seasons' ambivalence.
seasons wrote:I have a lot of thoughts about this video getting a SEIZURE WARNING and how much that's deserved but it's hard to explain. I'd really love to emphasize that this video is not out to FUCK YOUR RETINAS like you might expect but yeah, maybe photosensitive viewers should approach with caution. Warning people who can be triggered by this stuff is a very good thing! That said, I do hope that everyone else watches this in a dark room because there's a lot going on here that might not be fully appreciated, say, watching it on your phone at lunch or whatever.
The reason I plastered the seizure warning everywhere was twofold -- one, the flashiness was one of the most common points of feedback I received in the AWA Pro review thread, and two, at NDK this year I played an extremely flashy video in a dark room at a panel I was co-leading and didn't realize until then how much flashy videos can hurt the eyes in that setting. So, y'know, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the cause of someone having a horrible seizure!
vkamv wrote:The visuals were the main driving force of this AMV. I enjoyed the effect you applied even if it made it hard to see what was happening, which was probably your intent. It’s a video you have to almost watch this on a macro level, observing the scenes as a whole visually, instead of focusing in and attempting to decipher what is happening within any specific scene. The visuals fit the mood and chill pace of the song well.
Thank you for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. I did kind of make this with the intent of giving the viewer a reason to come back and find more little details, so I'm glad you recognized that!
AMVAR wrote:Such a peaceful feeling. Loved the pace of it, make me feel all relaxed. Congratulations on the work ^_^
Thanks! It's funny, "peaceful" is not an adjective I would use to describe this, but if that works for you then great :up:

Locked

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”