Otakon 2018 - AMV Contest/AMV Theater Info - FINALISTS!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2018 - AMV Contest/AMV Theater Info - FINALISTS!

Post by Studio Hawk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:20 pm

TnAdct1 wrote: -Two things that needs to be asked when it comes to the Best Non-Finalist video:
1. How the heck did this video not make the finals (especially when I heard about the lack of comedy videos this year)?
2. Any chance we'll be seeing versions based on other cons (i.e. Anime USA, Katsucon)?
Aw, thank you! I submitted to Upbeat, so it may have been bumped out based on strong Upbeat videos.

To #2, I think it's quite possible - I'd like to put some extra polish on it, as there are a few parts that definitely show the rushing I had to do on it :sweat:

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Congrats to the winners and good job everyone!
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Studio Hawk wrote:
TnAdct1 wrote: -Two things that needs to be asked when it comes to the Best Non-Finalist video:
1. How the heck did this video not make the finals (especially when I heard about the lack of comedy videos this year)?
Aw, thank you! I submitted to Upbeat, so it may have been bumped out based on strong Upbeat videos.
Oh yeah, this is probably a strong year for Upbeat, especially considering a number of videos in other categories that could easily also been in that category.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Studio Hawk wrote:
2. Any chance we'll be seeing versions based on other cons (i.e. Anime USA, Katsucon)?
I am fairly sure that the top 2 hours of videos are taken regardless of category, rather than the top X videos in each category. But Vic could confirm or deny that.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Okay, can someone post the "Otakon AMV is that awesome" screen? I didn't manage to take a picture of it. Also, it'd be great if someone uploaded the contest intro video ("Twilight" by E.L.O). Somehow I wasn't expecting the DC Convention Center... the Baltimore version was still in my head when all of a sudden the roads weren't the same. Lol. Great to see the updates.

With that being said, I've written down some of the winners. So... reporting in...

---------------------------

Category : Editor Name - Video Name - Audio Source - Video Sources

1st Place Trailer: Obsidian Zero - "Manly Manly Models" - Zoolander (theatrical trailer) by Paramount Pictures - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure + various
2nd Place Trailer: Rider4Z - "Cowboy: Bebop Fallout" - "Mission:Impossible Fallout (theatrical trailer)" by Paramount Pictures - Cowboy Bebop

1st Place Drama / Serious: Dragontamer ( |:> |:> :awesome: ) - "Blame" - "Human" by Rag'n'Bone Man - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2nd Place Drama / Serious: BleachShippu5678 - "Let You Down" - "Let You Down" by NF - A Silent Voice

1st Place Action : SSGWNBTD - "The Unforecasted Storm" - "Brainstorm" by Arctic Monkeys - Kizumonogatari I, Kizumonogatari II, Kizumonogatari III
2nd Place Action: Tsunderbird Studios (Bimyou) - "A Real Hero" - "The Last of The Real Ones" by Fall Out Boy - My Hero Academia, Your Name

1st Place Romance/Sentimental: Kazemon15 - "Changing the World to Be Ours" - "Rewrite the Stars" by Zac Efron and Zendaya - Snow White with the Red Hair
2nd Place Romance/Sentimental: alchemyminiAMV - "Lily Blossom" - "She Keeps Me Warm" by Mary Lambert - Asagao to Kase-san

1st Place Upbeat / Dance + Vic's Pick: Kireblue - "Technicolor Dreamer" - "Black & White" by Todrick Hall feat. Superfruit - Little Witch Academia
2nd Place Upbeat / Dance: Mukosei kara Hiro e - "Zero to Hero" by Hercules Chorus (Disney's Hercules Soundtrack) - My Hero Academia

1st Place Comedy / Parody - Aly-san - "Which One of Us" - "The Decision" by Ninja Sex Party - Samurai Champloo
2nd Place Comedy / Parody - CPT Kawaii - "Godzilla" - "Godzilla" by Kesha - My Love Story!!

Best in Show (Comedy / Parody) - PaNTSU oF d00m - "Literary Love" - "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" by Nathan Lane, Joseph Williams, Ernie Sabella, Sally Dworsky, Kristle Edwards - Daily Lives of High School Boys

----------

Missing: Best Overflow (really good, I just didn't write it down. It was Persona 5 set to a French song), and Iron Editor (I missed it this year :-( ). If anyone would like to report that, it'd be nice.

Dragontamer's Shoutouts: Romance Category was incredibly strong this year, probably the strongest overall category IMO. I didn't get to watch much Overflow this year, but I want to shoutout the "I'm not a Loser" video set to Yamcha from Dragonball. Which was a cool concept.
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Thank you so much Vic! I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed my vid enough to give it your award :D . Wish I could have been there. Probably gonna be there next year though since Otakon 2019 is gonna fall on my birthday (July 26th)

PaNTSU oF d00m
Org Profile

Post by PaNTSU oF d00m » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Kireblue wrote:Thank you so much Vic! I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed my vid enough to give it your award :D . Wish I could have been there. Probably gonna be there next year though since Otakon 2019 is gonna fall on my birthday (July 26th)
You’re a beast

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 am

dragontamer5788 wrote:Okay, can someone post the "Otakon AMV is that awesome" screen? I didn't manage to take a picture of it.
Request granted:
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Otakon 2018 AMV Contest YouTube Playlist:
ImageImage

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Now we just need to see that new contest into uploaded.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:14 am

shorisquared wrote:Otakon 2018 AMV Contest YouTube Playlist:
You're the best shori <3

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:38 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote: 1st Place Romance/Sentimental: Kazemon15 - "Changing the World to Be Ours" - "Rewrite the Stars" by Zac Efron and Zendaya - Snow White with the Red Hair
O=

Wow, thanks, everyone! ...Guess I gotta upload this thing now huh? ....I only been sitting on it since February... lol. Time to make credits, I guess.

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote: 1st Place Romance/Sentimental: Kazemon15 - "Changing the World to Be Ours" - "Rewrite the Stars" by Zac Efron and Zendaya - Snow White with the Red Hair
O=

Wow, thanks, everyone! ...Guess I gotta upload this thing now huh? ....I only been sitting on it since February... lol. Time to make credits, I guess.
Be sure to watch the Romance Category as well. You really should be proud, the Romance Category was IMO the strongest this year.

EDIT: See the list from earlier in this thread. Its only missing your video. The first "Romance" video is Shin's "Sour Diesel". Currently #20.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... tD5AdQOCxY

PerkyPastry
Org Profile

Post by PerkyPastry » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 am

Kinda late to the party (I thought I would be emailed if my vid made it to the finals so it totally went over my head lol) but congratulations to all finalists and winners!!! And a BIG thank you to everyone who voted for my entry! After washing out at three other contests, second place is more than I was hoping for! :DD

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:29 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
O=

Be sure to watch the Romance Category as well. You really should be proud, the Romance Category was IMO the strongest this year.

EDIT: See the list from earlier in this thread. Its only missing your video. The first "Romance" video is Shin's "Sour Diesel". Currently #20.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... tD5AdQOCxY
I watched it. I agree. =O I still cant believe my vid even stood a chance against all those...

Also, I uploaded, if you wanna add to the playlist...will add to the org later.
https://youtu.be/IQfaFHMV9Lg

Return to “AMV Contests”