Otakon 2018 - AMV Contest/AMV Theater Info - FINALISTS!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2018 - AMV Contest/AMV Theater Info - FINALISTS!

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:50 am

Can't wait to tell my daughter about our video making the finals!

Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:58 pm

Congratulations all finalists!!

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Seeing Brian's Kizumonogatari video makes me seriously question the bit on the back of the ballot that asserts that the content shown is nothing we couldn't get away with on network TV... as amusing as it was.

(I'm not talking about the risqué bits, I'm talking about the blood and dismemberment and immolation and all that...)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Personal comments on the contest:

-I missed the screening of my video on Friday morning (I came in the video room just after it was screened, as my original plan was to attend a panel, only for it to not really be that interesting). However, based on those who saw it, it definitely got a positive reaction (with me also having a better understanding on how it could miss out in the finals, given some the videos that were in the same category as mine).

-I had to rewatch Mycathatesyou69's video once I got home to confirm that he did added an additional bit to the Otakon version of his video.

-Speaking of Mycathatesyou69's video, the Best in Show winner was a complete surprise to me, as my mindset was leaning towards either his video or two other videos as the favorite.

-Two things that needs to be asked when it comes to the Best Non-Finalist video:
1. How the heck did this video not make the finals (especially when I heard about the lack of comedy videos this year)?
2. Any chance we'll be seeing versions based on other cons (i.e. Anime USA, Katsucon)?
Last edited by TnAdct1 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssgwnbtd
Org Profile

Post by ssgwnbtd » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Scintilla wrote:Seeing Brian's Kizumonogatari video makes me seriously question the bit on the back of the ballot that asserts that the content shown is nothing we couldn't get away with on network TV... as amusing as it was.

(I'm not talking about the risqué bits, I'm talking about the blood and dismemberment and immolation and all that...)

That's high praise.

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:20 pm

TnAdct1 wrote: -Two things that needs to be asked when it comes to the Best Non-Finalist video:
1. How the heck did this video not make the finals (especially when I heard about the lack of comedy videos this year)?
2. Any chance we'll be seeing versions based on other cons (i.e. Anime USA, Katsucon)?
Aw, thank you! I submitted to Upbeat, so it may have been bumped out based on strong Upbeat videos.

To #2, I think it's quite possible - I'd like to put some extra polish on it, as there are a few parts that definitely show the rushing I had to do on it :sweat:

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Congrats to the winners and good job everyone!
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Studio Hawk wrote:
TnAdct1 wrote: -Two things that needs to be asked when it comes to the Best Non-Finalist video:
Aw, thank you! I submitted to Upbeat, so it may have been bumped out based on strong Upbeat videos.
Oh yeah, this is probably a strong year for Upbeat, especially considering a number of videos in other categories that could easily also been in that category.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Studio Hawk wrote:
I am fairly sure that the top 2 hours of videos are taken regardless of category, rather than the top X videos in each category. But Vic could confirm or deny that.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Okay, can someone post the "Otakon AMV is that awesome" screen? I didn't manage to take a picture of it. Also, it'd be great if someone uploaded the contest intro video ("Twilight" by E.L.O). Somehow I wasn't expecting the DC Convention Center... the Baltimore version was still in my head when all of a sudden the roads weren't the same. Lol. Great to see the updates.

With that being said, I've written down some of the winners. So... reporting in...

---------------------------

Category : Editor Name - Video Name - Audio Source - Video Sources

1st Place Trailer: Obsidian Zero - "Manly Manly Models" - Zoolander (theatrical trailer) by Paramount Pictures - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure + various
2nd Place Trailer: Rider4Z - "Cowboy: Bebop Fallout" - "Mission:Impossible Fallout (theatrical trailer)" by Paramount Pictures - Cowboy Bebop

1st Place Drama / Serious: Dragontamer ( |:> |:> :awesome: ) - "Blame" - "Human" by Rag'n'Bone Man - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2nd Place Drama / Serious: BleachShippu5678 - "Let You Down" - "Let You Down" by NF - A Silent Voice

1st Place Action : SSGWNBTD - "The Unforecasted Storm" - "Brainstorm" by Arctic Monkeys - Kizumonogatari I, Kizumonogatari II, Kizumonogatari III
2nd Place Action: Tsunderbird Studios (Bimyou) - "A Real Hero" - "The Last of The Real Ones" by Fall Out Boy - My Hero Academia, Your Name

1st Place Romance/Sentimental: Kazemon15 - "Changing the World to Be Ours" - "Rewrite the Stars" by Zac Efron and Zendaya - Snow White with the Red Hair
2nd Place Romance/Sentimental: alchemyminiAMV - "Lily Blossom" - "She Keeps Me Warm" by Mary Lambert - Asagao to Kase-san

1st Place Upbeat / Dance + Vic's Pick: Kireblue - "Technicolor Dreamer" - "Black & White" by Todrick Hall feat. Superfruit - Little Witch Academia
2nd Place Upbeat / Dance: Mukosei kara Hiro e - "Zero to Hero" by Hercules Chorus (Disney's Hercules Soundtrack) - My Hero Academia

1st Place Comedy / Parody - Aly-san - "Which One of Us" - "The Decision" by Ninja Sex Party - Samurai Champloo
2nd Place Comedy / Parody - CPT Kawaii - "Godzilla" - "Godzilla" by Kesha - My Love Story!!

Best in Show (Comedy / Parody) - PaNTSU oF d00m - "Literary Love" - "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" by Nathan Lane, Joseph Williams, Ernie Sabella, Sally Dworsky, Kristle Edwards - Daily Lives of High School Boys

----------

Missing: Best Overflow (really good, I just didn't write it down. It was Persona 5 set to a French song), and Iron Editor (I missed it this year :-( ). If anyone would like to report that, it'd be nice.

Dragontamer's Shoutouts: Romance Category was incredibly strong this year, probably the strongest overall category IMO. I didn't get to watch much Overflow this year, but I want to shoutout the "I'm not a Loser" video set to Yamcha from Dragonball. Which was a cool concept.
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AMV Contests”