DragonCon 2006 - Winners & Stuff

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:50 pm

Well as for Mr. Alucard, it's not a comedy, it has a few funny parts but it's really a story, so a drama or action. As for Waiting for Tomorrows... Well it made the finals at AX and Fanime, and I didn't use After Effects at all. But your welcome to your opinion.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Nimthiriel
Org Profile

Post by Nimthiriel » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:01 am

I created the anime lineup in addition to running the amv contest. I had worked the rooms before but this was my first year actually creating the line-up. One week before DragonCon I was told I had to redo my entire playlist because of ASCAP. My diet consisted of TUMS and Advil. In the original playlist I was showing amvs between each block of shows and the amvs pertained to the different shows. The line up was awesome. I was very very angry over this new playlist and I was really worried that it would not go over well. Even though this playlist was put together in less than a week I seemed to receive a look of positive feedback. Unfortunately I had to throw in Cardcaptor Sakura since I was having problems getting other stuff I owned to rip. The s--nd wa- --ally ba-. If you get my meaning.

I really wish we could have had time to play more amv's but I only had time to play the best ones because of all the room and time slot confusion.

I'm so glad that everyone liked what they saw and everything turned out as well as it did. I kept looking for the bright light of the oncoming train. (trainwreck) :D

I'm glad to hear that everyone thought it went well.

As far as Mr Alucard is concerned. It was funny but it was more action and it even had a nice mix of drama. While the juding was taking place I asked the judges about that specifically and the response was it was more action with comedic undertones.

Thanks again you guys!

Nimthiriel
Org Profile

Post by Nimthiriel » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:12 am

AMV_4000 before you get ahead of yourself we can not add additional staff until the DragonCon heirarchy approves. Right now I am gathering information on how to improve the contest and I am doing a prescreeing for a panel of judges for next year. All my questions have been so that I can make the contest the best it can be for the creators from a creator's point of view.

It was very helpful to hear from creators on what aspects needed improvement and what aspects of the rules were misunderstood. I plan on using this information to improve the rules for next year.

Since the contest went over so well I am confident that we will be able to get a bigger room and a good timeslot for next year. The fact I'm getting an early start will help immensely in securing these for us.

Thank you and I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:31 am

AMV_4000 wrote:

the Action video.. come on judge... i know you can do better...
Yes I can, but TKO is what I sent ...... :P

JH

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:54 am

Some people just assume Lipsynch = comedy. I'm glad the judges were able to see beyond to the complexity. Some people can not comprehend that a video can be multiple categories at once. They want a video to fit into one category and one only.

(I have another video 'Amadeus' which is worse then Mr. Alucard for switching between categories. I still love the reaction of the audience when I showed Amadeus for the first time. They were laughing one minute and dead silent the next, then when humor came back in they were a few nervous giggles, people so unsure if they should laugh or not.)

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:02 pm

Nimthiriel wrote:AMV_4000 before you get ahead of yourself we can not add additional staff until the DragonCon heirarchy approves. Right now I am gathering information on how to improve the contest and I am doing a prescreeing for a panel of judges for next year. All my questions have been so that I can make the contest the best it can be for the creators from a creator's point of view.

It was very helpful to hear from creators on what aspects needed improvement and what aspects of the rules were misunderstood. I plan on using this information to improve the rules for next year.

Since the contest went over so well I am confident that we will be able to get a bigger room and a good timeslot for next year. The fact I'm getting an early start will help immensely in securing these for us.

Thank you and I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.
yeah, but if you cant add more staff at drgon con, we can still help before in setting things up, laying out the contest, judging, getting interest, and so on...
JudgeHolden wrote:
AMV_4000 wrote:

the Action video.. come on judge... i know you can do better...
Yes I can, but TKO is what I sent ...... :P

JH
:-*

anneke wrote:Some people just assume Lipsynch = comedy. I'm glad the judges were able to see beyond to the complexity. Some people can not comprehend that a video can be multiple categories at once. They want a video to fit into one category and one only.

(I have another video 'Amadeus' which is worse then Mr. Alucard for switching between categories. I still love the reaction of the audience when I showed Amadeus for the first time. They were laughing one minute and dead silent the next, then when humor came back in they were a few nervous giggles, people so unsure if they should laugh or not.)

Anneke
to my suprise Insomnia got a ton of laughs.. until dragon con i hadnt watched it once and laughed... it was always a serious action/story driven video... but i could see how it got people to laugh...

toothpickvic
Org Profile

Post by toothpickvic » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:54 pm

* I blame that one them laughing at the godzilla track* they'll find out ina few episodes on cartoon network ;)

My Opinions on the dragoncon AMV turout this year....

Since Dragoncon is clearly not an anime con, there are alot of people who will wandrer by and see a show. It's my opinion that anime fans will always watch AMV's. I'm hoping that by showing AMV's in a tradionally sci-fi / fantasy domiated local we can expand the horizons of new people and get them more involved in anime and amv's.

With all the difficulties that the con faced this year, I am surprised that they had the number of entries that they did. For your first year of giving it a go, I'll say you did ok. you had a nice turnout, but due to crazy last minute changes it wasn't allowed to be the "hit" it could have been. Maybe next year when all the chiefs are " smoking the same peace pipe" the event will be a much larger hit.

As stated before by AMV_4000 I think were all willing to help to get it to be a better event.

Feel free to write me and I'll go into more details.

and for those that came to our panels / both listed and unlisted... thanks!

Nimthiriel
Org Profile

Post by Nimthiriel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:23 am

Since I had an email request for this info and the forum eluded to some of the info I decided I should probably post this. (Well that and the fact that I had time to think as I lay in bed with insomnia now that my body has begun to pull out of the exhaustion that was DragonCon.)

Here are all the AMV's we played at DragonCon during the hour timeslot that we were given. Before the viewing I announced everything that we were playing and after the viewing I got up there and announced the winners.

Since you have already seen the list of winners I'm sure you will realize that these are in no particular order.

Action:
1) Mr Alucard by Anneke set to Mr Roboto by Styx
2) Waiting for Tomorrows…all my life by Anneke set to In the Shadows by Ramsus
3) RJ Smith Wolf's Rain Action by RJ Smith set to Don't Lose my Number by Phil Collins
4) March of the Children by Chase Clark set to March of the Pigs by Nine Inch Nails
5) TKO by Judge Holden set to TKO by LeTigre
6) Waking the Dead by Bryan MS Minnix set to Facing Hell by Ozzy Ozbourne

Comedy:
1) Channel Surf 2 by Bryan MS Minnix set to music by various artists
2) AMV no Baka 2 by Sylvester Ng set to music by various artists

Drama:
1) Major Tom by Boyd Hale set to Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling
2) Insomnia by Toothpicvic set to Basket Case (Godzilla ST) by GreenDay

Romance:
1) Love & Sorrows by Devil Shin set to Sadness and Sorrow by Toshiro Masuda
2) Falling In Love by Sylvester Ng set to Falling in Love by Voice in Public

I noticed the other thread that was started asking the who, what, when, where and how to for DragonCon so I also want to apologize that it took me a couple of days to get this posted. I had to get home for one and the other was the job that pays me money felt that payroll was more important so I couldn't play video games or indulge in my hobbies on that particular day. :D *hopes that this comment was actually funny and not just the delusions of insomnia and therefore taken with the jest that was intended*

Oh, Toothpickvic, I've seen like 257,000 episodes of Naruto and I still thought that the comedic undertones in Insomnia were hillarious. You are right though, the majority of the humor can probably be attributed to the Godzilla sounds suddenly being thrust upon the audience in the middle of what everyone is expecting to be a serious drama. However, the title is Insomnia, and anyone with who suffers from sleep deprivation can attest to this, you get a bit grumpy so the mix with Godzilla was perfect and without that aspect I think it would have been a bit boring. AMV's are suppose to be a blend of music and video. The combination of the two and how well they fit together are what make the experience meaningful. If the two do not flow together well the AMV is not as good. That is what separates the good AMV's from the bad ones. The subpar ones lack the range of emotion that speaks to the human psyche. Besides as was once said by someone I can't remember from a long time ago, comedy is simply tragedy plus distance. Since tragedy is akin to drama, at least in my family it is, I can see why the comedy segwayed so well into the drama. The range of human emotions is great, as any female with PMS can attest to, illustrating why the comedy fit so well into action also as in the case of Mr Alucard by Anneke. Gee, can you tell I really liked those two?

*Disclaimer-The comments made in this post were made somewhere between 3 and 4 am. I reserve the right to realize that I was not as insightful or as funny as I thought I was once I either a) get more sleep and wake up again or b) get coffee in me and wake up more. I also reserve the right to make you read through my bad spelling and run on sentences but since some of you are in the same boat I am you will probably not have any problem at all and this sentence right now is probably making perfect sense. :wink:

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:04 pm

I was curious about DC's first AMV contest and wondered about the results.

I couoldn't help but notice:

Comedy: Channel Surf 2 by Bryan MS Minnix set to a mix of various music artists

Best of Show: Channel Surf 2 by Bryan MS Minnix set to a mix of various music artists

Is this the same vid which won best comedy at TekkoshoCon 4?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

theliel
Org Profile

clarity

Post by theliel » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:28 am

ahhh, I understand now....I confused amv no baka 2 with channel surfing:)

Anyone know when AVM no baka 2 will get posted or if ever?

Return to “AMV Contests”