Otakon Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
jade_eyed_angel
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by jade_eyed_angel » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:38 pm

wow congrats! =]

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Otakon Results

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:44 pm

Kionon wrote: Off-topic, sorta, I didn't believe yours deserved to be overflow. The judges decision on putting you with that lot was a bad one. I watched the entire four hours of overflow, and yours stuck out as a serious level above. It deserved to make the finalists.
Well it had been entered into contests since Feburary and it had won things at 4 cons (including every other award offered at Matsuricon). I just submitted to Otakon to get it to a big crowd and hopefully increase the # of downloads I got (I have a running bet with my roomate that expires at the end of the summer). Since it was obviously outside the guidelines, I think it was fair to not be in the contest. There was a posibility that I could have submitted it on a certain select number of dates and still gotten in, but it doesn't matter. The overflows were packed too, right?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

TheLongshot
Org Profile

Post by TheLongshot » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:11 am

Thanks to everyone for the videos this year. It was an excellent contest with some tough choices to make in various categories. Congrats to the winners, they were all deserving.

Jason

ReligionX
Org Profile

Post by ReligionX » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:45 am

That was a fantastic video contest. With the exception of Upbeat, I guessed pretty close who was going to win first and second place in each cateogory. I find it funny that none of the actual Upbeat videos won anything.

I survived my first Otakon AMV contest. And while I didn't win, or even come in second place I feel that something better even happened. After my video was shown, I was a little tense, so I started looking around the audience, and lo' and behold, I saw a complete stranger in front of me vote for my video. He was holding up his ballot to see the choices better in the light, and there it was. I elbowed my friends to my right and left, and said, "he voted for me!" That made everything worthwhile. I was a grinning idiot for the rest of the night.

I ordered all of my friends to not vote for me. I actually thought that the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children video was the best in action, but that's just my opinion.

I'd like to know just how I actually did rank, if that's at all possible. Everyone keeps asking me.

JediNight
Org Profile

Post by JediNight » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:35 am

Probably because there are just too many Advent Children videos. They all use the same 5-10mins of footage out of the movie.

It was indeed very close in many of the categories I thought. Worlds Unbroken was my choice for Romantic, and Fallen for Serious ended up Runner up so I guess I have a pretty good gut feeling.

Action was a really hard category ... I thought that Photogenic and the Ippo video were both very well done as well. I think Castor's video was good, but was kinda a category mismatch more belonging in Humorous IMHO.

I liked the Book Report video, and also thought the All New For '72 and Bodyguard were really good as well. I'm kinda torn over the "Various" videos that use non-music .... a lot of them are really funny, but I think those types really shouldn't be compared against regular AMVs.

Humorous I think was the most loaded category of all.

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:46 am

Gratz to all the winners!

This was my first time at Otakon and I've got to say I was very impressed with way the AMV contest and the rest of the con was ran.

This was a great time!

ANTDrakko
Org Profile

Post by ANTDrakko » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:08 am

JediNight wrote:Humorous I think was the most loaded category of all.
Yeah, I thought it was going to be a 14-way tie for Comedy, what with every other video being a comedy. :roll:

Congrats to the winners, though. It was a fun contest to watch.

~Seen

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:36 am

Congrats to the winners.

I'm just amused that someone post a comment about the video I entered saying how it should have won, and I didn't even make the finals. LOL. It amused me.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

DireStrike
Org Profile

Post by DireStrike » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:49 pm

I'd like to know just how I actually did rank, if that's at all possible. Everyone keeps asking me.
Well, I can tell you that you rank 2nd/3rd as far as I'm concerned! (I know, who the heck am I? :D ) If not for Naruto Ball I would have voted for you. Mai Time was clean, the shots matched the music, and was extremely well done. Naruto Ball had a kind of unfair edge in being part comedy.... My other 2nd/3rd choice is Seven May Cry. It's tough to modulate out FF7 bias, so I'm not sure exactly which I would have voted for, but the general feeling I have is that Mai Time was better. I remember liking Magical Barrage a lot, but Mai Time followed right after it so it was easy to compare and put Mai Time on top.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:54 pm

ANTDrakko wrote:Yeah, I thought it was going to be a 14-way tie for Comedy, what with every other video being a comedy. :roll:
You misspelled travesty. :P
I kid, I kid.

Congratulations, etc.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Return to “AMV Contests”