Animazement 2006 AMV Contest (Durham, NC)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Mon May 29, 2006 10:22 pm

MCHeadcase wrote:
greenjinjo wrote:1st Place:
Can't remember the name but it had Wings on Honnemaise (sp?) to Major Tom
Its bugging me cause I've been trying to find this video ever since I got home and I can't... not on this site or any other...
I'm about to put together a full playlist and do what I can to find everything. If it's still no go, I'll contact the creator and at least find out if he intends to upload it somewhere. He might be holding out for the results of other AMV contests, in which case we'll just have to respect his wishes and wait. Otherwise he just might not have gotten a chance to upload it yet. Stay tuned and I'll see what I can do.
Animazement AMV Contest Coordinator
http://www.animazement.org
Amv@animazement.org

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Tue May 30, 2006 6:12 am

Kurai Seraphim wrote: For clarification, 2 hours does not mean 2 hours at an Anime convention. 2 hours means 1 hour and 45 minutes in the real world where rooms need to be set up for the following event.
Other conventions can do a 2 hours of AMVs and still fit within the 2-our timeslot (Katsucon, AMA, ACen, to name a few). This is something that obviously needs to be worked on for next year.
And Friday is the main showing. Period.
Not everybody gets to the convention on Friday or even Friday afternoon. I live 3 1/2 hours away, and I had to go through hoops just so I could have a half-day at work on Friday so I could arrive in time to see the entire showing. If I didn't get that, I would have never seen my video at all.

Again, if I made the final cut, then my video deserves to be shown at ALL main showings -- and by that I mean with all the other videos that also made the cut. None of this "we'll show some on Friday and some on Saturday" business. I can understand if my video isn't shown during the overflow, although it would have been nice this year if it were shown then because it wasn't shown on Saturday.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Tue May 30, 2006 1:44 pm

Two solid hours of videos in two hours leaves no time whatsoever for the next event to set up. Animazement is a convention driven by panels, cosplay, musicals, dances, and a variety of other events that require very different technical setups. If the other conventions you have been to are capable of setting this up, then the following events are either identical in format (which doesn't work for this convention as we try to avoid clustering such events to give people interested in them time to actually eat and get ready for the next one) or they let themselves run behind.

The AMV contest that runs on Friday night happens to have a reasonably good timeslot that makes it the Friday "main event". We rerun videos on Saturday morning in hopes of helping people in your situation, but this is done for a much smaller crowd with a much lower priority and calling it a main showing would be a joke. As I said, barring technical issues the plan is to get through as much of the original showing as possible on Saturday morning and usually we manage to do this, but when bad things happen they happen and I compensate to the best of my ability to avoid spreading our delay into every panel that runs for the rest of the day. If your video is shown on Friday night to the hundreds of people in the main showing, the very same people who make up most of the Saturday rescreening crowd, then I'm going to cut it if it prevents a domino effect that cuts into someone else's panel that only gets one showing during the weekend. People can download amvs on their own time when the con is over, but they can't get a Q&A with their favorite guest through an internet connection. Trust me, I'd like for music videos to be a high priority and to treat Animazement like an early summer AWA, but the fact of the matter is that Animazement is a well-rounded convention and if your video made it into the main showing then anything after that is a bonus.

This "we'll show some of them Friday and some of them Saturday" business you're talking about applied with the consent of the people it involved and had nothing to do with you or your video. I've already explained that technical issues bumped your video from the Saturday showing and that's the best I can do for you.

Finally, if you're going to have trouble making it to a contest you can always let me know. I e-mailed everyone whose video was at the beginning of the Friday playlist to let them know not to be late for the contest. I e-mailed everyone whose Advent Children video would be shown only once and let them know when it would be shown and shifted them around the playlist appropriately for one day visitors. I e-mailed everyone in the Sunday showing at let them know their video was only going to be shown on Sunday. Next year I will e-mail everyone whose video is near the end of the playlist and give them an opportunity to shift it closer to the middle of they want, but that's all I can do. It's a Friday night event that resolves on Saturday night with an AMV panel on Sunday and it's intended to be a full weekend event. The availability of videos online makes that possible.

And for what it's worth, I liked your video this year and it went over pretty well with the crowd. I kinda want to see Desert Punk now, so I'd say you succeeded. The Spriggan one was good too.
Amv@animazement.org

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue May 30, 2006 6:50 pm

Brakus wrote:stuff
Brakus, you're whining. Stop.

Each contest is an independent entity. Each contest is entitled to create its own rules and regulations. Many contests also have a "because we said so" clause.

You are not a great and omniscient entity who holds the ultimate power of truth within your loins.

You degrade the quality of your feedback by needlessly and repeatedly complaining that Animazement was not fair to you.

Life's not fair. Deal with it. Your video got cut due to time, it happens at many contests. Life will go on.

You are entitled to your opinions. However, Animazement will not change its rules simply because you believe they are not fair to everyone. Many people feel the rules and showcase are plenty fair, and even more people don't care either way. And an even greater number of people have never heard of you. (Sometimes, I wish I were a member of the lattermost number, but I digress.)
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:17 pm

As promised, here's a listing of all of the videos in the order that they appeared in the contest, with winners noted seperately. I'll have links to the ones downloadable from Animemusicvideos.org as they go up.

Winners
First Place: Boyd Hale - Major Tom (The Wings of Honneamise to Peter Schilling's Major Tom)
Second Place: *Green Jinjo - Asuke is t3h Suck
Third Place: Mark Mucchetti - The Cat Who Won't Cop Out (My Neighbor Totoro to the theme from Shaft)
Fan Favorite: *Mr. Panda - Amv no Baka 2
Conservation Merit Badge: Nakagaki - Save Konoha's Rainforest (Naruto to the National Arbor Day PSA)

Friday
1. Jessica Baker - Walk Away (Advent Children to Good Charlotte's Walk Away)
2. Dr Raven - The Mark of my Sins
3. WolfNinja34 - DNAngel Tonight
4. *Mark Mucchetti - The Cat Who Won't Cop Out (My Neighbor Totoro to the theme from Shaft)
5. Shippochan - Full Metal Love
6. The Zelda Master - Godzilla vs Mecha Godzilla (Godzilla vs Mecha Godzilla to Chevelle's The Clincher)
7. Gogglegirl01 - Kingdom 24
8. *Boyd Hale - Major Tom (The Wings of Honneamise to Peter Schilling's Major Tom)
9. Lil'Yakka - Dreams of Darkness
10. *Nakagaki - Save Konoha's Rainforest (Naruto to the National Arbor Day PSA)
11. *Green Jinjo - Asuke is t3h Suck
12. Wildrose - The Battle for Blood Gulch (Halo/Red vs Blue to the Aliens vs Predator trailer)
13. Jade Eyed Angel - Through the Tears
14. Igo4mars - Camera Obscura (Chrno Crusade to Enigma's Camera Obscura)
15. Therax - All New for '72
16. JubJub2 - My Fair... Lady?
17. Sanada Usako - Love Remains
18. Surfin Pika - Spiral
19. Manpurse - Asuka's Confession (I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear Today)
20. Kumagarou - Always
21. SSGWNBTD - Evangeliback Mountain (Neon Genesis Evangelion to the Brokeback Mountain trailer)
22. Jesse Gay - Elfen Leid to Evanescence's Taking Over Me
23. Grant Hicks - Pokemon X (Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back to Drowning Pool's Bodies)
24. Asahikari Productions - Have this Heart to Break
25. Christopher Stadther - The Moment of Truth (Slayers to The Moment of Truth from the Karate Kid)
26. *Mr. Panda - Amv no Baka 2
27. Niotex - F.E.A.R.
28. Majyn Goten - Advent Aerials (Advent Children to System of a Down's Aerials)
29. Xarathion - Dreams in a Pocket (Gundam 0080 to Van Halen's Dreams)
30. Brakus - Watch Out! It's Desert Punk!

Saturday
1. Lupus 6 - Advent Oblivion
2. Dr Raven - The Mark of my Sins
3. WolfNinja34 - DNAngel Tonight
4. *Mark Mucchetti - The Cat Who Won't Cop Out (My Neighbor Totoro to the theme from Shaft)
5. Shippochan - Full Metal Love
6. The Zelda Master - Godzilla vs Mecha Godzilla (Godzilla vs Mecha Godzilla to Chevelle's The Clincher)
7. Gogglegirl01 - Kingdom 24
8. *Boyd Hale - Major Tom (The Wings of Honneamise to Peter Schilling's Major Tom)
9. Lil'Yakka - Dreams of Darkness
10. *Nakagaki - Save Konoha's Rainforest (Naruto to the National Arbor Day PSA)
11. *Green Jinjo - Asuke is t3h Suck
12. Wildrose - The Battle for Blood Gulch (Halo/Red vs Blue to the Aliens vs Predator trailer)
13. Jade Eyed Angel - Through the Tears
14. Igo4mars - Camera Obscura (Chrno Crusade to Enigma's Camera Obscura)
15. Therax - All New for '72
16. JubJub2 - My Fair... Lady?
17. Sanada Usako - Love Remains
18. Manpurse - Asuka's Confession (I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear Today)
19. Kumagarou - Always
20. SSGWNBTD - Evangeliback Mountain (Neon Genesis Evangelion to the Brokeback Mountain trailer)
21. Jesse Gay - Elfen Leid to Evanescence's Taking Over Me
22. Grant Hicks - Pokemon X (Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back to Drowning Pool's Bodies)
23. Asahikari Productions - Have this Heart to Break
24. Christopher Stadther - The Moment of Truth (Slayers to The Moment of Truth from the Karate Kid)
25. *Mr. Panda - Amv no Baka 2
26. Niotex - F.E.A.R.
27. Sombat - Advent Children Tribute (Advent Children to Stab Blue's Silver Wolf)
28 and 29 cut due to time and technical difficulties.

Sunday
1. *Nakagaki - Save Konoha's Rainforest (Naruto to the National Arbor Day PSA)
2. *Mr. Panda - Amv no Baka 2
3. *Mark Mucchetti - The Cat Who Won't Cop Out (My Neighbor Totoro to the theme from Shaft)
4. *Green Jinjo - Asuke is t3h Suck
5. Boyd Hale - Major Tom (The Wings of Honneamise to Peter Schilling's Major Tom)
6. Ruka Kekanna - Up
7. SSGWNBTD - Evangeliback Mountain (Neon Genesis Evangelion to the Brokeback Mountain trailer)
8. Xenon Studios - Dive Blue Sub (Blue Submarine #6 to The Boom Boom Satellite's Dive for You)
9. Shippochan - Full Metal Love
10. Bucky Durham - Iris (Final Fantasy IX to the Goo Goo Dolls's Iris)
11. Sanada Usako - Love Remains
12. Fuujin no Mai - Carols of Fantasy
13. JubJub2 - My Fair... Lady?
14. Looksfordanger - Hitomi Why!?
15. Lord Torron - Show Me How It Ends
16. Hunter MacDermut - We Ride Tonight (FLCL to Radiohead's You and Whose Army?)
17. Artikgato - The Days Worth Living
18. Tyson Lucas - The Rick (Robotech to Angie Aparo's Hush)
19. MC Headcase - The Dark Side of the Moon
20. KenshinTomoe225 - Pray for the Fireflies

Whew, that was a bit time consuming. Anyway, as you can see not all videos are up and online at the moment and there's no garantee they ever will be as this is a choice for the creators. I'm going to try to update this as they do, but if anyone sees a video up somewhere that I missed (as animemusicvideos.org can get messy), please post and I'll make an edit.
Amv@animazement.org

Return to “AMV Contests”