We need a leader

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
SnhKnives
V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Thu May 18, 2006 11:40 am

ok ill make a serious post here...

I agree with MCWagner in that I think alot of people in the ocmmunity nowadays have lost sight of why people originally started making AMVs. Videos have become shallow, unorginal, and inproperly thought out. Now I dont mean that every video is like this. There are still many editors who seem to shine above others and make quality stuff, unfortunately those are few and far between. It has gotten so bad that usually when I browse this site (which honestly is alot less than I used to) I only look for videos made by creators I recognize. Now you may say that I myself am being shallow because of this, but you can't argue that 80% of the time this is what most of you do. People do like to make their videos technically impressive, however instead of making well thought out effects or spending alot of time on the technical side of their video, they simply go with whats easy to do and sadly, what seems to be "trendy" at the time.

Now I've been guilty of this too, don't get me wrong. This is simply an observation that I have made in the past few months of lurking in this community. However, I don't think a leader would necessarily change things all around and make this community instantly better. The leader would just point the community in whatever direction he/she wishes. Most of the people who just pick up this hobby and see their first top 10 video are going to want their video to be similar, so they too can get recognition.

bleh

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Thu May 18, 2006 12:08 pm

MaboroshiStudio wrote: LOL go Outlaw! I want me some sweet bodyrockin Gundam lovin now!
OMG! That made my day.
MCWagner wrote:I'm wondering why the old demographic seems to be dying off in favor of the new (not overpopulating, actively driving out).
Let's poll them and find out how many got married?
MCWagner wrote: I'm pining for a more dynamic and inventive scene, even if buried within a larger crowd.
I think it exists but is just silent right now. There has been a greater push for entities like RDS to come together now. A smaller tighter group of creators offering each other input like this is more valuable than something as large as this website's base.

Funny thought...we need to do like that one time someone wanted to split the old AMV ML. Anyone else remember the "other" AMV ML? Let's make the secret org moderated and only invite the proven creators :)
MCWagner wrote: MM, one of the best AMVers I ever saw, recently said that "the moment video editing became available on the home PC and accessable to everyone, the entire hobby should have packed up shop and gone home." Should I follow that?
I was given this advice:
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things" (1 Corinthians 13:11).

But I said fuck that I'm a kid at heart now pass me the next good moe anime. To each his own I say. I would wager you would find those who left did so not out of lack of desire or creativity but rather moving on in life. I think many in this AMV group have trouble understanding it is for a reason like this that someone like Kevin C just disappeared.
MCWagner wrote: Sounds like we should shut the boards down entirely.
Sometimes it is easier to rebuild than fix something.
MCWagner wrote: I'm really concerned that this seems to be getting lost, that people think tech tricks are what makes really great vids, and that's it's all about a hunt for the newest "toy" instead of looking for that "OH MY GOD" (Ha ha Hsien) perfect thematic matching of video and audio. I have one freind in particular who (IMHO) is DESTROYING his vids by trying to over-tech & speed up brilliant matches. If I had any advice for a newcomer it'd be this:
Nothing substitutes for sincerity.
These days most creators especially new ones DO think visual flair is most important. Even drama videos have a heavy slant on this as opposed to storytelling. There are some videos I have seen where scene changes and information is just too heavy and since it isn't there for mood and is trying to actually convey something it turns into information overload and actually backfires.
MCWagner wrote: Really loving and having fun with a great video idea SHOWS in the final product, even if you're not great on the tech end. Stop trying to outdo one another with advanced tech toys, and try to out-do them at the start with an amazing core concept.
This is what we all strive and hope happens but the reality is most people who keep pumping out vids don't have this level of creativity. Hell I try my hardest over the years of my AMV work to do stuff that is different. I cannot say I've been wholly succesful or as well received as other creators. Through the natural course of things we do get cool new vids and ideas to spring out. The only difference from before is where that was once possible through online distro it is no longer viable due to everyone and their brother/sister uploading their vids now. That is the only sin of this website. What it has fostered to grow it cannot quality control. Of course this is basically a moot point now anyway since sites like youtube exist.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Thu May 18, 2006 12:36 pm

MCWagner wrote:
outlawed wrote:Kevin and Joe were both leaders. They got the hell out of AMVs. We could all learn much from this.
MM, one of the best AMVers I ever saw, recently said that "the moment video editing became available on the home PC and accessable to everyone, the entire hobby should have packed up shop and gone home." Should I follow that?
MaboroshiStudio wrote:and Wagner... damn I have tried to become a model citizen so why you got to be hatin. hehe
Damn, dude, you still around? I thought you left for greener pastures. Consider it payback for leaving us hanging at that first Iron Chef. :)
doh... heheh ok I did punk out on the original iron chef, but you have to admit I put on a good drunken master show vs Hsien the time I did do it.

As far as the first Iron Chef it was just brutal the schedule since it was right after the AMV contest (bad idea whoever put it at this time slot) and all my friends were like screw u dude we are going to dinner! I picked my friends sorry...

As far as the amv hobby... it is very much like fansubs. Fansubbers used to be an elite group of select fans who spent tons of money for their labour of love. Very much like anime videos it became very easy to do fansubs. For most of the people amv and fansubs it did kinda make it less exclusive taking the fun out of it, but with anything there will always be change.

I also don't see any single video or a so called leader ever happening again. It isn't needed either since there is are so many creators and every video now is like a single drop in a vast sea vs before when it was a tiny pond.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu May 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Actually, back in the late 80s and early 90s, most people were just happy to be able to show thier AMV creations to fellow fans and overjoyed if a con just played it! That all that they needed (and for 10 years, is all I ever did) Now a days people are so caught up in top ten lists, leadership, revolutionary videos, winning contests and fame and popularity that the joy and original intent is all but gone :(

Vlad

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Thu May 18, 2006 1:56 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Actually, back in the late 80s and early 90s, most people were just happy to be able to show thier AMV creations to fellow fans and overjoyed if a con just played it! That all that they needed (and for 10 years, is all I ever did) Now a days people are so caught up in top ten lists, leadership, revolutionary videos, winning contests and fame and popularity that the joy and original intent is all but gone :(
Heh, I went the other way. When I first started out doing AMVs, I was all caught up in contests, awards, etc. Now, in my old age, I just send stuff to cons to get it shown :P
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

SnhKnives
V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Thu May 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Actually, back in the late 80s and early 90s, most people were just happy to be able to show thier AMV creations to fellow fans and overjoyed if a con just played it! That all that they needed (and for 10 years, is all I ever did) Now a days people are so caught up in top ten lists, leadership, revolutionary videos, winning contests and fame and popularity that the joy and original intent is all but gone :(
Heh, I went the other way. When I first started out doing AMVs, I was all caught up in contests, awards, etc. Now, in my old age, I just send stuff to cons to get it shown :P
the ripe old age of 25 :roll:

Pyle
Org Profile

Post by Pyle » Thu May 18, 2006 2:05 pm

Beowulf wrote:Make no mistake about it, Euphoria changed AMVs forever. The day it came out, it was so far ahead of its time that you had a large group of people throwing up their arms saying "I can't compete with that".
This is the only post in this whole topic that made me chuckle, because I actually do remember watching it for the first time and saying, "Damn, there's no way I could make shit that hot," to myself.

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Thu May 18, 2006 2:25 pm

TaranT wrote:...What this forum needs is a den mother (nominating JaddziaDax).
I 2nd this nomination.

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Thu May 18, 2006 3:24 pm

MaboroshiStudio wrote: doh... heheh ok I did punk out on the original iron chef, but you have to admit I put on a good drunken master show vs Hsien the time I did do it.
Old history, man. I'm just bustin' your chops.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu May 18, 2006 3:37 pm

TaranT wrote:You don't have to be old for this crew. Maturity is more important.
(And cookies every week wouldn't hurt. :) )
cookies... hmmmn that would require thought and money O.o and interesting you would point me out as being mature... >< when in the past I've been known to be less than so... O.o
Adv1sor wrote:
TaranT wrote:...What this forum needs is a den mother (nominating JaddziaDax).
I 2nd this nomination.
GAH! ><
dokidoki wrote:
jubjub2 wrote:Some want (or feel the need) to have the popular leader, some wish to be that popular leader, some could be the leader of the punks, one the leader of the geeks... I sense a Breakfast Club moment coming here.
<shakes dandruff onto video>
O.O
I would say "puts lipstick on with her boobs" but >< I've never tried it...

Return to “General AMV”