We need a leader

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Beowulf
Org Profile

We need a leader

Post by Beowulf » Sun May 14, 2006 8:15 pm

We haven't had a definitive video since Euphoria, and before that, Shameless Rock Video. These are the kinds of things that can appeal to everyone by setting the bar higher and innovating new and creative ways of doing things most of us take for granted.

The Top 10 is trash. People have always said that Top 10 sucks (mostly based on teenage anti establishment sentiment I imagine), but its truely goten ridiculous in the last 2 years. Naruto's World? Shounen Bushidou? Naruto's Technique Beat? These are not the kind of groundbreaking videos we had a couple years ago.

I think now that this community has pretty much caught up with technology, people's ideas are their limiting force as apposed to their software. It definitely seems that way since we all see the same After Effects glow plugins, the same still image masking, the same piano keys, the same effects, the same everything.

We need people more focused on expressing unique ideas, and less people focused on making "correct videos".

:up:

You choose Sam,the rest
Org Profile

Re: We need a leader

Post by You choose Sam,the rest » Sun May 14, 2006 8:22 pm

Beowulf wrote:
We need people more focused on expressing unique ideas, and less people focused on making "correct videos".

:up:

Indeed :up:

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sun May 14, 2006 8:27 pm

I nominate DEAD TO THE WORLD THE STORY OF THE ANTICHRIST FTW
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sun May 14, 2006 8:30 pm

What about The Race? :(

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sun May 14, 2006 8:30 pm

Here's a proposal: stop lamenting the percieved lack of creativity, and remedy said percieved lack yourself.

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Sun May 14, 2006 8:39 pm

OMFG, so pwnt by the KaLiUm!

The current trend is a sign of the times. More ppl are getting into the amv scenes than before. What you have now is a majority of the viewer base whose interest correlates with the anime of their choice, which happens to be Naruto at this time.

As Kal said, you could lead the pack with an awesome video, or you could turn people's interest towards an anime you favor.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sun May 14, 2006 8:41 pm

"Unique ideas" exist. "Unique ideas" that make it to the Top 10% and make people go "OMG THAT WAS AWEOMSEEE!!!!!" are rare. Experiment too far, and you lose the popular appeal that votes you up to "leader" status.

So the root of the problem - if you want to think of it as a problem - lies with the audience, not with the editors.

Oh well?

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sun May 14, 2006 8:48 pm

Lyrs wrote:As Kal said, you could lead the pack with an awesome video,
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87947

I didn't wan't this thread to turn into a thread about me, but its a better direction than the one it was taking.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun May 14, 2006 8:52 pm

Leaders are bad. Leaders encourage imitation, and imitation is the death of creativity.

I'd rather have no leaders. Heck, in all these years of AMVing - even if I did take a cue from anyone, it was usually from more obscure and (to me) more interesting editors.

There is a wonderful word "popsa" in Russian (derogative noun meaning "pop"), and "popsa" will always be at the top, because we live in a "popsa-driven" society. And with AMVs becoming way easier to produce (anyone can do it nowadays), the "popsa" content grows exponentially.

On the other hand, often just beneath that, you have a lot of creativity.

As much as I like to raise my anti-"popsa" banners and rattle my imaginary sabre, it's probably here to stay. Fortunately, it's also easier than ever nowadays to find good stuff.

So, chill man. Noone's taking your cake or your antichrist or your inherent right to kick ass :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sun May 14, 2006 8:59 pm

Otohiko wrote:Leaders are bad. Leaders encourage imitation, and imitation is the death of creativity.

I'd rather have no leaders. Heck, in all these years of AMVing - even if I did take a cue from anyone, it was usually from more obscure and (to me) more interesting editors.
Your completely right, but I didn't really mean "leader" in that specific of terms. I mean we need a video that is so head an shoulders above everything else that it breaks a barrier everyone thought was there. Even if its imitated (and it will be), it will make everyone say "oh shit, we had better kick it up a notch". Thats all I want to happen. We haven't "kicked it up a notch" in quite some time and when we have its been very short lived and in the wrong direction.

Return to “General AMV”