Farewell Letter

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Ingow
Org Profile

Farewell Letter

Post by Ingow » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:16 am

Anime: Loveless
Artist: Jedi Mind Tricks
Song: Before the Great Collapse
Download Link

The purpose of the video for me was to visualize the words from the song in a very personal and direct way. While the chorus with all the fast cuts and action is used in a more mystical way I tried to keep the rest of the video, as always, very simple. As on the anime I love the series itself but since shonen-ai wouldn't have worked for my main goal I changed the plot a bit. This time there are no boys kissing in the video, sorry.

Since I needed some cool effects to create a kind of loose mystical atmosphere that doesn't show too much from the actual source (because only the fighting scenes themselves would've distracted from the lyrics of the song) I had to get me some from Nio. Big thanks go out to him. Peaz!

There will most likely be only very few people that'll like this but to those I wish them a good watching. Go download! >:O

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:02 am

You have done serious justice with this Loveless video in terms of overall atmosphere. Excellent work! :D

Though it's sort of amusing for Ritsuka going all ghetto and emo at the same time. :lol:
ImageImage

Tormentor
Org Profile

Post by Tormentor » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:17 am

Well Really nice to see that you finally released a video again^^. Okay as for the video, I wished the quality would have been better, but apart from that great job. YOur editing-style (depending the sync based on cuts) seemed quite strange, but not n a negative way. It was a very rare video-style. Great lyric-sync and atmosphere. :thubsup: Want an op? :P

Streicher
Org Profile

Post by Streicher » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:10 pm

Sync is diffcult to follow if you just sit back and watch passively. But when you give attention to the song it mostly makes sense.

You made good use of the footage to create a very nice atmosphere throughout.

Warheart
Org Profile

Post by Warheart » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:38 pm

... farewell letter ...

Whoa, I'm sorry but this video really touched me. The topic of suicied was and still is a very special theme for me so I really got into this video. I never saw the anime and moreover I don't like Hip Hop, but this video was just beautieful. I was really glad to see you made another video but I didn't expect something like this, it's a dark and serious amv that's really deep and toughtful so it's exactly what I like. Very nice imagery and sync as well as sceneselection nearly everything seems to fit ... What brings me to the negative critic, sometimes you used a lot of actionscene's where it does not seem to fit and you had only very low quality sources and you even got the banner of the fansubbers in the video (~1:03). But that are the only things I can think of for now ...

Now I have a few questions, did you mix the audioyourself ? At least the intro since the "quotes" didn't seem to be mounted into the background song. And since I never saw the anime, where did you use effects ? I didn't see much just some oldmovie filters and the nice glow. So I guess I didn't see the cool effects you mentioned. Ok I finally owe you a place on my fave amv list. It's a video you've got to watch in dark room with headphones the it really grows a big amount. Great, outstanding work.

... ok time to go to sleep. And you know ... "[...]waking up every day for me is hard work."

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:50 pm

I'm happy the filters worked out for you man.

I liked it I went in thinking it was gonna be another Yaoi amv wich in term it was too a certain degree but you didnt force on that also the hip hop theme striked me at first but as i watched it again it got used too it and actualy started liking what you did with the track and how it actualy pretty much works great. Some of the effects however seems a little out of controll maybe thats due too the fact that you havent realy used the plugins prior too this but overall you held back nicely and actualy put forward some subtle effects.

8/10

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:24 pm

angelx03 wrote:You have done serious justice with this Loveless video in terms of overall atmosphere. Excellent work! :D
I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, I tried to keep a continous atmosphere but since Loveless only has those fights as action parts it really was kind of hard.
angelx03 wrote: Though it's sort of amusing for Ritsuka going all ghetto and emo at the same time. :lol:
Yeah, it's a weird mix, but for me when I do an AMV it really has to flow together and since I was able to lyric synch about everything I guess the two parts were somehow meant to be together :p
Tormentor wrote:Okay as for the video, I wished the quality would have been better, but apart from that great job.
Thanks and I'd wish that too, but those are the l33t raws and even if I'd get myself some DVDs I'd doubt that it would've been a much better outcome due to the series animation. But on that side note I think that this kind of simple style was pretty useful on terms of atmosphere so I better not rant about it too much heh.
Tormentor wrote: Your editing-style (depending the sync based on cuts) seemed quite strange, but not n a negative way. It was a very rare video-style. Great lyric-sync and atmosphere. :thubsup:
Thanks again and well I didn't make it rare intentionally, I just did what felt right on the beat. I guess I was just going with the flow.
Tormentor wrote: Want an op? :P
Is there an answer that isn't egotistical? Well do what you feel like, I appreaciate ops but I don't collect them you know ;>
Streicher wrote:Sync is diffcult to follow if you just sit back and watch passively. But when you give attention to the song it mostly makes sense.
That must be the opposite to JCDs opinion, I find it really interesting on how different people see this video. This was never meant to be an "easy" video to kick back and be entertained. It got a serious topic and it's supposed to deliever the same message as the song does. And THAT is what differs for everyone.
Streicher wrote: You made good use of the footage to create a very nice atmosphere throughout.
Wow, the word atmosphere is used a lot, I guess I did something right :]
Warheart wrote:... farewell letter ...
I thought about that too, I had to decide between "Abschiedsbrief" and "Farewell Letter". I think it's because of you that I decided to go for the english version.
Warheart wrote: Whoa, I'm sorry but this video really touched me. The topic of suicied was and still is a very special theme for me so I really got into this video. I never saw the anime and moreover I don't like Hip Hop, but this video was just beautieful. I was really glad to see you made another video but I didn't expect something like this, it's a dark and serious amv that's really deep and toughtful so it's exactly what I like.
I'm really glad that it got to you as it got to me and that you're able to get the point of the video. That's something I'd never expect to happen.
Warheart wrote: Very nice imagery and sync as well as sceneselection nearly everything seems to fit ... What brings me to the negative critic, sometimes you used a lot of actionscene's where it does not seem to fit and you had only very low quality sources and you even got the banner of the fansubbers in the video (~1:03). But that are the only things I can think of for now ...
That's the banner of the fansubbers? Well...you know I don't care about those kind of things when it comes to an important scene...And I do absolutely agree on the not fitting of the action scenes. BUT considering the lyrics, the topic and the scenes I just wanted to finish this. It's why I just threw some glow effects on most of the fighting scenes - because if I'd have had the choice I'd have made some different action scenes in a different way, not like they are in the anime. But since I can't I just went with what I had.
Warheart wrote: Now I have a few questions, did you mix the audioyourself ? At least the intro since the "quotes" didn't seem to be mounted into the background song.
No, that's what I really like about Jedi Mind Tricks. They always use samples in a very fitting way, on almost every topic of their tracks they have the fitting movie quotes (these ones are mostly from "The Addiction")
Warheart wrote: And since I never saw the anime, where did you use effects ? I didn't see much just some oldmovie filters and the nice glow. So I guess I didn't see the cool effects you mentioned.
Throughout the rap parts you can clearly see the footage when there aren't any effects used. But not only, A LOT of times I just threw in some dark glows on everything (for example the "I know this may seem like it's the easy way out" part) to make the source darker and more serious. The entire scene of him sitting at his computer writing the letter is altered, the scenes are from different episodes and I changed the letter on his keyboard to the last letter of the part: "O". I also altered the colors there. The Glows are everything that has this kind of really strong flickering white. I really like how the stuff sometimes worked out with just adding one of Nios effects. The rest of the storyline is changed through scene selection, a lot of different love affairs are in this series so I just had to pick those that work for me and leave out the others.
Warheart wrote: Ok I finally owe you a place on my fave amv list. It's a video you've got to watch in dark room with headphones the it really grows a big amount. Great, outstanding work.
Awsm O_O
Warheart wrote: ... ok time to go to sleep. And you know ... "[...]waking up every day for me is hard work."
Guess why I had to emphasize that passage haha, good night to you sir. :D
Niotex wrote:I'm happy the filters worked out for you man.
Me too, looking back at it they really were neccessary for this work. Thanks man.
Niotex wrote: I liked it I went in thinking it was gonna be another Yaoi amv wich in term it was too a certain degree but you didnt force on that
That's something important for me, I don't ever force on things. I don't really stick to things like "I make yaoi videos now". That's just stupid.
Niotex wrote: also the hip hop theme striked me at first but as i watched it again it got used too it and actualy started liking what you did with the track and how it actualy pretty much works great.
That's good to hear, I'm glad it was able to grow on you like that.
Niotex wrote: Some of the effects however seems a little out of controll maybe thats due too the fact that you havent realy used the plugins prior too this but overall you held back nicely and actualy put forward some subtle effects.

8/10
Yes, the effects were pretty much out of control because of that fact. You always have to adjust to new plugins I guess. But that's how it is and I gave my best on holding back, it's why in the end I put in those fighting scenes without any glowing. 8/10 is great, thanks.

And thanks to everyone for taking the time to write me some comments here, I really appreciate it.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:28 pm

your still not getting in my pants tho :lol:

jk ;P couldnt resist

MCHeadcase
Org Profile

Post by MCHeadcase » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:59 pm

Now I've never seen this anime, it was the JMT song that caught my eye .. and the fact is I don't even like em .. its just never even imagined that I'd see an AMV with a song by Jedi Mind Tricks of all people...

This video was excellent, great use of editing. You really made the anime match up to the song very well. Keep up the good work!

Peace
"<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 686">There is no dark side of the moon really ... matter of fact, it's ALL dark...</a>"

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:37 pm

That was fucking great!

It really had an impact on me. The straight lyric synch really drove home the concept and the concept was great!

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”