AMV Free/Open Source Software Lists

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
TwilightSora
Org Profile

Post by TwilightSora » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:15 am

It looks good, just wondering, would you reccomend that program over the others you listed in your first post. Im new to AMV creation and I was just wondering which one would is preffered by most people?

TwilightSora
Org Profile

Post by TwilightSora » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:18 am

Err, I was commenting on Cinelerra by that post, and I meant software not program. :lol:

Destiny_Angel88
Org Profile

Post by Destiny_Angel88 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 am

Hey there i'm trying to upload my first AMV i created on my computer. I've now gotten stuck on the Confirm upload: Introdutoin. It says about needing some kind of software...Cute FTP client , i don't have a clue what it is going on about so...if anyone would like to help me out i'd be really greatful....i think my AMVs are quite good for a first time and would really like to get feedback a.s.a.p.

Thankyou for your time....PM if you have any advise.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:51 am

TwilightSora wrote:Err, I was commenting on Cinelerra by that post, and I meant software not program. :lol:
It's in the first post.

Yes, I use it.
Destiny_Angel88 wrote: Hey there i'm trying to upload my first AMV i created on my computer. I've now gotten stuck on the Confirm upload: Introdutoin. It says about needing some kind of software...Cute FTP client , i don't have a clue what it is going on about so...if anyone would like to help me out i'd be really greatful....i think my AMVs are quite good for a first time and would really like to get feedback a.s.a.p.

Thankyou for your time....PM if you have any advise.
There's a command-line FTP client available in Windows. Additionally, Windows Explorer has built-in FTP facilities.

I haven't used Windows file transfer programs in a long while so I can't help you out with anything else. I use <a href="http://lftp.yar.ru/">LFTP</a>, but I don't think you can use it.

trythil
is
Org Profile

related work

Post by trythil » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:07 am

Some nifty examples of Blender animations:

http://www.blender.org/cms/Animation_Fe ... 718.0.html

Also, you may want to check out Blender CVS for the Google Summer of Code projects; among the really interesting additions are a fluid dynamics simulation system.

Naru Narusegawa
Org Profile

FTP

Post by Naru Narusegawa » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:03 pm

Are there any free FTP servers or anything like Cute FTP that can put AMVs on the web?

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: FTP

Post by trythil » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:03 pm

Naru Narusegawa wrote:Are there any free FTP servers or anything like Cute FTP that can put AMVs on the web?
What you're looking for isn't an FTP server, but an FTP client.

Windows comes with quite a few. There's the command-line FTP client (go to Start > Run and type in ftp), as well as the FTP client part in Windows Explorer (type in ftp://username:password@host into the address bar).

NcFTP Client is pretty good, and is available for most major platforms out there.

Finally, lftp is my favorite (arima in the .org IRC chat room turned me onto it), but I'm not sure if it has a Windows port.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Blender 2.4 alpha release

Post by trythil » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:08 pm

Yeah, it's an alpha release. Not stable, etc etc.

But damn, it's cool. There's a lot of advances in this one, such as new mesh modelling tools (in particular, better face loop support), a fluid dynamics simulator, more hair modelling tools, a rewritten modifier system (for subdivision surfaces, CSG, and a lot more), rewritten animation and particle system code, and a lot more.

See http://www.blender.org/cms/Blender_2_40 ... 598.0.html if you want to try it out.

Here's a quick little fluid dynamics test I whipped up. I'm working on getting an animation out, if anyone cares.

tensaiteki
Org Profile

Post by tensaiteki » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:12 pm

Does anyone know if any of the above mentioned software packages support network/renderfarm/cluster rendering? I have access to a small Linux (not sure of the exact flavor) cluster made up mostly of older computers (900-1000Mhz 256-768 RAM).

I know Cinelerra does but it pretty much requires dual core 64 bit processors to be stable and I simply don't have the budget for that kind of upgrade on either my main machine or the cluster.

I believe it is possible to network render with Blender and Blender has a small built in non-linear video editor. Has anyone used it to create an AMV or know if it is usable for such a purpose?

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm

tensaiteki wrote:I know Cinelerra does but it pretty much requires dual core 64 bit processors to be stable and I simply don't have the budget for that kind of upgrade on either my main machine or the cluster.
Cinelerra doesn't require dual-core 64-bit processors to be stable; I ran it on an old Athlon Thunderbird when I started out. These days, I run it on a P4 mobile laptop and a (single-core) Athlon64, and it's pretty good on both systems.

In any case, I guess you could give openMosix a try.
I believe it is possible to network render with Blender and Blender has a small built in non-linear video editor. Has anyone used it to create an AMV or know if it is usable for such a purpose?
Blender's built-in network renderer, as far as I know, was actually never finished. If that's not true, I'd like to know how to get it to function properly, as I've also got a dual-core Opteron here that could really use some more work.

The NLE is usable, but I prefer to use it to edit Blender output :P

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”