3 [enter]
1 [enter]
Type volume name [enter]
Y [enter]
1 [enter]
1 [enter]
Use all available space on drive, should be 60GB, [enter]
Type a volume name [enter]

Okay uhh basically that is like delete the current partion on drive 2, and recreate it again.

~klinky

afleetinghope
Org Profile

Post by afleetinghope » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:22 pm

Well, it still is missing about 4gb, but it's a lot better then missing 27. thanks.

Hope I never have to go through this crap again. ._.

(And after going through FDISK I had to format the HD in windows for it to work.)

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:28 pm

Yes, FDisk prepares a drive for formatting.

And, klinky, I'm impressed...you have the FDisk procedure memorized? :-P

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:30 pm

afleetinghope wrote:Well, it still is missing about 4gb, but it's a lot better then missing 27. thanks.

Hope I never have to go through this crap again. ._.

(And after going through FDISK I had to format the HD in windows for it to work.)

Well you have two things there. The HDD makers 1GB=1billion bytes when it's really 1073741824bytes and you have the FAT (File Allocation Table) which also takes up a fixed amount of space on the drive too. 4Gb less then 80Gb sounds normal. My 80Gb is 75.4GB after formating.

~klinky

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:31 pm

You really should change the whole drive to a FAT32 partition unless you plan on doing some heavy programming. And klinky is 100% on the money about the Hard Drive industry, except when you get into a SCSI based system then the only room on the drive that's not free is the OS.

Curious, are you trying to run a RAID system on 98? Microsoft can't and won't support RAID on 98. You can do like I did a couple of years ago and do some serious registry editing but it's very, very unstable. I finally broke down and bought XP just for the RAID compatibility. Now I have 320GB running smooth as a baby's bottom.

And, did you ever get the second drive to work? Besides the jumpers and BIOS, have you tried new IDE cables. 80pin preferably.

Good luck

Jbone rocks!!!

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:10 pm

Shulocc wrote:You really should change the whole drive to a FAT32 partition unless you plan on doing some heavy programming.
Actually, NTFS is more useful because it allows for (valid) files larger in size than 4GB.
Shulocc wrote:Jbone rocks!!!
Wow, looks like my fan club is growing. (Who was the first member, again? Was it The Great Wang? I forget.)

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:42 pm

Dude if you only knew. I bet at least a hundred or more people here are hoping you'll be at the Atlanta Con. I showed Harsh Reality at a party and well, the rest is history.

Oh yeah, that keyword, "valid", woops! ;)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”