Memories of making your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:07 pm

It was around fall of 99.

I used an old 1988 jvc camcorder hooked up to my $50 capture card with an RF switch and I used commercial and fansub dbz tapes with Premiere 3.0 LE.

I released my first 15fps, mono, 160 x 120, cinepak encoded into mpeg masterpiece 3 hours later. :P

Good times :)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:30 pm

Hmm, it was back in 1999, I think. I used downloaded mpegs of Rurouni Kenshin fight scenes and a skip-ridden mp3 I got off my school's network. The software was Ulead Media Studio Pro, which I ended up using for every video up through My Iron Lung. It literally took me about 24 hours, because I was editing MPEG-1 files on a PII-450 and every time I moved, trimmed, deleted, manipulated any clip in any way, it would take my computer about 30 seconds to catch its breath.

Months later, I redid the video from scratch and came up with Kyoto Kombat :P
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

OzzieArcane
Org Profile

Post by OzzieArcane » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:10 pm

My first video? That was back in 1999 or 2000. I really had no idea what I was doing. I just kinda put random clips of Nappa beating people up to "Dragula" by Rob Zombie. Even though my choices had been pretty much random, it somehow came out better then my like next 5 videos after that I made that I actually tried on.

I still watch my old videos everynow and then, but compaired to stuff other people make nowadays they are utter crap and now I no longer have the patience or desire to make new videos. (It doesn't help that Ulead keeps crashing)
My latest video:Ranma Chan is Too Sexy
My less then magnificant website: Planet Arcane

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Re: Memories of making your first AMV

Post by SarahtheBoring » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:03 am

DuoEnigma wrote: What about you guys/gals do you still watch your first amvs? and compare your current work with what you have done in the past?
My first video was made entirely between ...something like... midnight and 6 a.m. one night. I had to stick with game footage because I didn't have a DVD drive; I wanted to use the ending of Star Ocean 2 because it was so pretty. (I was already totally in love with the ending of that game; I'd beaten it before just to watch the ending. Credits, rather. Ending credits.) There wasn't a point to the video, but I knew that. (I'd been watching videos for a year or two by then; give me a little credit. ;)) Just chilled music and chilled pretty visuals and whatever timing I could get out of what I had.

And then I slept for a few hours and made another that afternoon. They really sucked, but the thing was, I was so excited that I could finally try it myself. I get carried away, y'know... The exports were awful and had weird color flickers, but the first of the two had a few things going for it. A diplomatic reviewer suggested some improvements, and I ended up redoing it some time later.

I watch them every so often, but not as often as most of the others, which get a spin once a month or so.

Heh, I think I'm doing a little better now in terms of what I know how to do - but oddly, I think that first one still had something going for it. It's still more artsy than anything I've made since. And it was still fun to stay up all night trying to figure things out.

megaman917
Org Profile

Post by megaman917 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:53 am

My first AMV

The first AMV that I completed, 01 Rurouni Kenshin, was the very second one that I started working on, with WindowsMovieMaker1. Like many I was excited and I did use downloaded footage. That was last March/April. I had to re-edit a few times with MovieMaker2 before I uploaded it here back in October. Until recently this was my lowest scored video. But, it's my video and I still watch it.

My second AMV, 02 The Life Of An Outlaw, was the first one I started working on with WMM1. Once again I had re-edit with WMM2. When I uploaded it in October, it became my most dowloaded and highest rated video. Now it's like my second most downloaded and has an average score like the rest of my vids.
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying!" - R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero (1967 - 2005)
Through tragedy, she found triumph. R.I.P. Coretta Scott King (1927 - 2006)
Long live the "King of Pop"! R.I.P. Michael Jackson (1958 - 2009)

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:44 pm

My first video...I remember it so very clearly...

I had not long ago discovered the work of Aluminum Studios (William Millburry), and I was utterly amazed by his videos, namely the Sailor Moon videos. Over the past few months I had been downloading alot of Sailor Moon footage, so I used that an some clips from Aluminum's vids, and a few others, with Pink's "Don't Let Me Get Me", a song I really liked at the time, in Adobe Premiere 6.0 on a 200MHZ CPU with 64MB RAM. I made sure I didn't take the parts I could tell at that time were edited by the AMV creators. It ended up being exported in WMV at 256Kbs. It was about 5MB. When I finished it I was so proud and thought it was such a big deal and I put it on this site via direct link from some free server, only because I was still in my lazy stage where I didn't want to figure out what FTP was. It's a good thing though, cause it used stolen footage anyway, which is a site nono. =p

Yeah, I look back on it every once in a blue moon and laugh. If not for the stolen footage I'd upload it. :D

temaranight
Org Profile

Post by temaranight » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:21 pm

hmm..lessee...In 2002 I saw my first AMV, then upon further searching..found and watched my first Trigun AMV, and then watched Trigun, and decided I too could make these wonderful creations called AMV's!

With downloaded subbed Trigun footage...Premire 5.0 and Virtual Dub and no real knowledge of just what in the hell I was doing, I proceeded to make Vash, The Hero

Thankfully, with the helpful ops left by the likes of Beowulf ("Also why was it in 15 fps? Was that your source? My humblest condolences if it was :( "), EC, Sierra Lorna, and Hitori (all of whom called me on the subtitiles and poor source footage, but in a nice way ^^ ) ..I think I've managed to come quite a long way from that one to what I'm able to do now.

Do I still watch it? Of course I do...it was my first and no matter how newbish it may be..it's still near and dear to me..but that also doesn't mean it won't get redone in the future >=p

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 pm

My first AMV was done to a mix of anime and to Shining Star by Nami Tamaki.

Back then, I had just recently joined my universities anime club and they usually give out sampler disks (fansubs) to every member that signs up. I think back on the glory days of Jezmaster was when I first really got into AMVs and I just wanted to try my hands on it...

So there it was, I had the anime footage, I also realised that I had to 'free' software there on my computer... WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER!

There was nothing else forme to wait for... I started clicking away, cutting here, mixing there... in the end the result was... crap.

Yes, the final video was horrid by almost anyone's standard. It had subtitles, there were widescreen videos mixed in that of course on a 4:3 aspect ratio mean get squashed vertically. There were very very very few timings indeed that made it in time! And I'd say the most horrid of them all was the fact that because I used WMM on a hdd with a speed less than 7200rpms, there were annoying ginormous sized pixel blocks all over any fast paced scenes.

But you know what? I was proud of it... I enjoy it as much now as I did back then... because it was something that I made, because it was a video done to a song that I really liked listening to. Granted I don't watch it as much as I did anymore, but still the love is there.

zeke-kun
Org Profile

Post by zeke-kun » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:37 am

well so far ive only made 3 ^^;;
but my first waas not great but i liked it because it was a strange combo it was a golden boy and athf AMV i donno if having athf makes it non AMV but i liked it

i might submit it here later :D

Return to “General AMV”