Memories of making your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:08 pm

I can't really say I'm a senior editor or anything (only done 5 vids, working on my sixth) but I remember I had downloaded the trial for Premier Pro and hadn;t turned off my comp for 2 weeks at least so I wouldn't run out of time ;p

Ya I look back at my first and compare it to my new ones, I remember the trouble I was having trying to de-interlace, rip, etc. it took me an entire day just to rip one DVD, now I do a couple in an hour or so ;p

I also feel that I've come a long way, especially, I think I've learned from my mistakes, this whole... Journey, for risk of sounding REALLY cheesy :P :roll: , is what makes editing so great in my opinion

lilgumba
Org Profile

Post by lilgumba » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:35 pm

I made mv's before but my first real amv was the Ayashi no Ceres vid I have here. It's kind of fuzzy but all I remember is trying to find footage out of 3 episodes that would last the whole song. That was hard. Then Premiere crashed and I didn't save so I had to start over. That pissed me off. (Lesson was well learned though.) I never got the clips how I had them again. I remember staying up late at night on my comp and my roomie at the time would go to bed. The cheesy effect transitions I used I want to shoot myself for. The lip sync...I still to this day want to know what I was smoking that night. Despite all of this I still love that video. I just watched it the other day. It reminds me of how much I improved, which is why I won't do remasters of old videos.
Image Image

MomochiZabuza
Org Profile

Post by MomochiZabuza » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:00 pm

I love all of my AMVs and love to watch them. Even though they aren't that great :P
Yes I am God

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=67903
... apparently it's awesome

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:17 pm

Every time I think about how much I struggled to make VDub do what I wanted to do, my herpes breaks out.

Er, heroes. I meant heroes.

tuathaanwarrior
Org Profile

Post by tuathaanwarrior » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:20 pm

My first was very recent, but I had a great time making it. When I finished i was crazy proud of it and couldnt wait to make a second. Im now around 2/3 of the way through my second video, and am still havin just as much fun. However, even though its only been a matter of months since my first time, what ive done so far on my second is significantly better than my first. Looking back, im kind of surprised at how happy i was with the result of my first of video..

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:04 pm

I started out around 2000 on a PII and Windows 95. I used downloaded footage (yes, it was Dbz :twisted:.) I put it on floppies from any sucker that allowed me on the internet. I messed around with AVIedit, VideoMach, and VirtualDub. The stuff I created was horrible to say the least. I also used footage from other amvs and blended them into my own. Eventually in 2001 I got a capture card and Magix Music and Video Maker 6. Thus, more Dbz video goodness came about.

In the fall of 2002 I got my new Dell with Windows XP. I was very happy, so I installed my Magix and went at it once again. I actually redid one vid on my new computer and created a few more. It wasn't until the fall of 2003 when I got cable internet that I began to attempt to work with DVD's. I was so happy when I got Vegas around that time too. So long story short, I actually read the guides and used the forum on the a-m-v.org and learned so much! Its been a fun time to get to the knowledge I have now. However, I still suck at editing, but I understand the technical aspects of digital video and compression very well! And yes, I do watch my old videos and try to learn from them.

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:52 am

Ah my first piece o' shit amv...

Inu Yasha downloaded footage to...

Moonlight Shadow by Missing Heart [yes, the DDR ONE!]

I can't dance to ddr at all but I love their songs to amvs. I got some people who I thought were "big names" to take a look at them and grill me [they did a good job too, they said ' YOU SUCK ' very politely and showed me exactly what I wanted to see, pointers on how to not stink as much...]

I'm glad I managed to get help on my first amv. I was VERYY lazy and didn't make many cuts at all. It was when

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... php?v=4976

came along that I learned [many cuts is GOOD] more is better ^_^ :lol:
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

FoxJones
The foxiest!
Org Profile

Post by FoxJones » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:15 am

Ah.. memories... memories from the time when I came up with "hey.. I know about this vdub-thingie.. I wanna try out making these AMV thingies with this.. VDUB! \^.^/". Time when I did the timing with teh notepad(tm) straight from the wav-file. Time when this notepad-timeline showed me when to switch scenes.. which then meant "append the next clip in vdub". Time when I saw that "this can't be done like this... start over" and "this can't be done like this either.. start all over again". Ah... those countless hours of pure pain ^_^ It was sometimes more math that editing.

..and to show how thickheaded I can sometimes be let's mention that it took me two more AMVs from hell before I thought that "there must be a better way to do this".

Scandia
Org Profile

Post by Scandia » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:38 am

It was in March 2003. I think it was on a Sunday because I had seen it on a flyer advertised. I bought the Dazzle 80 at Office Depot. A guy I had taken a class with was the salesman that handled the transaction.

I made it to MKR, which was my fave anime of the time. I used a Van Halen song because I love Van Halen. I only took a break to go to the gym. I remember a friend called me on my cell phone and I told her what I was up to.

Not knowing much about editing, I had to recapture stuff several times. Plus it was on VHS. And I had to do it while sitting on the floor cause I was using my brand new laptop instead of my desktop from 1999.

It took me well into the next day to finish it. But I did. Video quality looks nasty due to its being VHS and MPEG-1. I submitted it, along with my second AMV which I made shortly afterwards, to FITCON 2003's AMV contest. Neither won anything. But I was still proud to see them shown onscreen.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:18 pm

/rises

Making my first AMV involved, among other things, placing my very first cuts in any video editor. Given how well and true (IMHO) the video came out to what it intended to be (aside from a few minor technical screwups caused by complete lack of experience), I'm still as completely happy with it as I was the day I finished it. I don't watch it very often compared to some of my other vids, but I'm not ashamed to give it another look every now and then.

I guess what was pretty amazing about making it was how it all just started coming together naturally for me even if I never tried my hand at editing any video before. I learned what worked and what didn't work very quickly. In fact, (in my view) you can even see the editing improve (though it's still very rough and basic) as the video goes on, with the latter parts coming out (IMHO) the best.

If my first video came out any different, maybe I wouldn't be here now.

Speaking of me being here,
/dies
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “General AMV”