AMV Free/Open Source Software Lists

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
trythil
is
Org Profile

AMV Free/Open Source Software Lists

Post by trythil » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:13 pm

This question gets asked way too often these days. Therefore, I have started this thread.

Free, in this case, refers strictly to software which is licensed under a Free Software license by the definitions set by the GNU Project and the Free Software Foundation. Open Source software refers to software that is licensed under an OSI approved license.

For your reference:
GNU Project - Confusing Words and Phrases that are Worth Avoiding
GNU Project - The Free Software Definition
GNU Project - Various Licenses and Comments
Open Source Initiative - Approved Licenses

These definitions cannot be strictly enforced in the .org boards, as post editing is disabled. However, please do NOT post "freeware", "shareware", or anything which so dilutes the definition of "Free".

Software directly pertinent to AMV creation should be listed here. Most software runs on Free or Open Source platforms, such as GNU/Linux; but some software, such as AVISynth, VirtualDub[Mod], and both programs' associated filters run on Windows. Whether or not this actually makes such projects truly Free or Open Source software is a matter of philosophical debate, but, in this case, it seems healthy to just skip the whole mess and say "this program is licensed under [X], which is a Free Software/Open Source license". That said, news on pieces of software that act as dependencies for software in this list, though, is certainly valid.

This list will, and must, grow to reflect software availability. Contributions are, of course, welcome.

==

VIDEO EDITING / COMPOSITING MEDIA PLAYBACK CONTENT CREATION AUDIO

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:31 pm

trythil
is
Org Profile

updates

Post by trythil » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:45 am

Those of you who sometimes produce custom mixes of songs / mash-ups similar stuff for AMVs (I know Scintilla does this, and there's probably others) might be interested in not only Ardour, but also JAMin, an audio mastering system for JACK -- the JACK Audio Connection Kit. (Hee, recursive.) JAMin documentation is also available.

Steve Harris' http://plugin.org.uk/ is also back up, it seems. You can find a large number of LADSPA audio processing plugins there.

This isn't really about new software, but I think that it's worthwhile to mention the Cinelerra Wiki. This is a project by a group of Cinelerra users to clarify the Cinelerra manual, provide tips, tutorials, and so forth.

Alternababe
Org Profile

free for mac

Post by Alternababe » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:15 am

1st, I just want to thank trythil for being such a good sport & helping out the noobs.
2nd, even tho many noble efforts were made, there is still just one free program that I know of for mac: iMovie. I will continue to scour the net for more, but until that day comes, let this thread be a haven for posts of people's findings on programs free for mac as well as pc/linux.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Re: free for mac

Post by Kalium » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:28 am

Alternababe wrote:1st, I just want to thank trythil for being such a good sport & helping out the noobs.
2nd, even tho many noble efforts were made, there is still just one free program that I know of for mac: iMovie. I will continue to scour the net for more, but until that day comes, let this thread be a haven for posts of people's findings on programs free for mac as well as pc/linux.
You don't seem to get the distinction between free and Free. iMovie is free, but I'm fairly sure it's not Free.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: free for mac

Post by trythil » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:33 am

Kalium wrote:
Alternababe wrote:1st, I just want to thank trythil for being such a good sport & helping out the noobs.
You don't seem to get the distinction between free and Free. iMovie is free, but I'm fairly sure it's not Free.
iMovie is indeed not free.

To Alternababe: Please consult the links given in the first post of this thread for definitions.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:28 am

Thanks for the list. I'l be setung up a dual boot with winxp/fedora3 soon as I get a prenament hard disk, which should be sometime next week. Anyway, here are a few more apps for that list (could a mod/admin please put these and any other sujestons).

Acidrip ripping and encoding DVD's

Fooripper dvd ripping and encoding to divx.

Veejay audio recording/editing and video effects

Openvip Video editing/Effects

Ultimate Movie Kit Videoe diting and effects, I think. Its in french which makes finding out exactly what it does without linux installed kinda hard.

jahshaka Video effects. Shame the name sux :(

Polidori DVD authoring

All of these are for linux, so I was thinking it would be good if someone with a good linux background could add a few linux distro's to the list. Trythil?

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:58 pm

bum wrote: All of these are for linux, so I was thinking it would be good if someone with a good linux background could add a few linux distro's to the list. Trythil?
I've used the following distributions. In order of personal familiarity:
I'd recommend anything on the above list. Distributions such as those provided by Novell/SuSE and Mandrake are also quite good. There are also some customized media distributions (such as dyne : bolic) that boot off of a CD.

For a neophyte, I'd recommend Fedora Core 3. It's very easy to set up, requires practically zero tweaking (hell, less than Windows XP...), and is quite polished in all but one respect -- its package management system. If you stick with up2date and yum, you'll be fine.
[/list]

DarkShogunate
Org Profile

Post by DarkShogunate » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:44 pm

What would be the best free video editor/ compositor that has a drag and drop interface? VirtualDub has made making AMVs tedious.
Say it once. Say it twice. Take a chance and roll the dice.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:19 am

For windows, the best free (free, as in, not Free, read thyrils explenation on the first post) video editors are windows movie maker 2.1 and avid free (google is your freind).

If you want a Free video editor try openvip from http://openvip.sourceforge.net/ .

For effects, try http://www.jahshaka.com/ and the cominuity site http://www.jahshaka.org which has tutorials, which you will need.

Anyone up for adding windows/linux compatability info to all the programs currently listed?

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”