Anime Expo AMV Competition Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:38 pm

The screen had it coming.

What was worse is that a paper airplane hit one of the Guests of Honor in the front row in the back of the head! She was like 2 rows infront of me (I was 3rd row center) and I saw it go and I was like "oh no."

That probably didn't go over well.

The GoH's doing the Wave was cool though.

Arekuru
Org Profile

Post by Arekuru » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:08 pm

Just my own little complaint about the actual winners... While Silent Lucidity had absolutely astounding editing, particularly that ending scene, and looked nice and crisp, am I the only one wishing it had made a bit more sense? I don't expect much in the way of content from the other categories, but I usually see winning drama vids getting some kind of idea across... Of course, the lip-snycing completely through me off, too.

Reminds me of Shounen v Shoujou. Content v effects. ::sigh::

But it <i>did</i> look nice. I just prefered Devotion and a few of the others. ^-^()

Songblade
Org Profile

Good gravy

Post by Songblade » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:37 pm

AX is movin' to the Anaheim Convention Center next year x.o I think everyone was just too rowdy, and I'll bet the behavior at the AMV contest helped that out.

I forget, though, if the ACC is near Disneyland. If it is... ooooohhhhh hell XD I remember the Disneyland con! Every Disney staffer was ashamed of the anime folks, though they're ripping all anime off in their "new" movies.

Buggernuts >.< Fuckin' Disney!
<a href="http://www.wish3.net">Wish³</a> ~ What would you wish for?

cgousha
Org Profile

More views of the riot...

Post by cgousha » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:42 pm

(Long time reader... first post!)

My own views on the AMV, er, entertainment at the show:

Friday morning: tickets handed out. Usual line, nothing special, no mishaps, off to other things quickly.

Friday evening: whoo! BIG crowd in front of the Theatre by 7, bigger crowd by 8, and a big ANGRY crowd by 9. Slight cheers every time it looked like people were being let in to the Theatre, followed by annoyed silence when each one proved to be false.

Many attempts to get a rousing unified cry of "Let us in! Let us in!", all of which died out when it became obvious nobody was listening. In some cases, there was a very thin chance the crowd would turn ugly, and I half expected people on the theatre roof to get the vats of boiling oil ready to repel the invaders...

At one point a tech guy came out and yelled something about what was going on, but I was far enough away that I couldn't hear a thing.

To help calm folks down, two of us (I think Senta Miller was the other one) pulled out our laptops and played AMVs for the crowd. Laptop speakers don't really carry well, but hopefully we made a difference.

Around 9 PM (two hours after the scheduled start) they finally let us in, but still no videos. More entertaining of folks in proximity with the laptop.

The rest of the blokes out there start their own entertainment by flying paper airplanes from the 3rd balcony to the main seats, with a cheer every time one makes it all the way. One plane nails an audience member on the top of the head. (Ermac: that was a GoH? Ick!) One sails on stage and pokes a hole in the projection screen. The staff yells at us, then sends someone on stage to remove the still-lodged plane. Volunteer staff then show up at every exit, and those that throw the planes are forcibly ejected from the theatre.

10 PM, and the tech staff declare defeat. 15 minutes of protest, yelling, and general chaos result in four failed solutions and one that seems acceptable. Nobody is happy, but there is no happy solution. The showing is resheduled for 8am Saturday morning, with another showing 8am Sunday morning for those trying to get Masquerade tickets Saturday.

As a consolation, the Metropolis DVD is played for the audience, but the brightness is too low to see much of the movie.

Saturday morning, and I have no notion of what's going on in the AMV contest. I'm waiting in line for Masquerade tickets instead... and I fail. Oh well. See others' posts for what went on at the contest.

Sunday morning's showing seemed extremely calm in comparison, if the comments here are any indication. No lines/crowd in front, and the theatre was only 1/4 filled. The vids ran smoothly, and there was virtually no complaining. (though maybe everyone was just tired and resigned by then)

As for the AMVs, I found the technical skills to be much advanced over last year's collection, but artistically this year's batch didn't have much going for it. The action category seemed especially uninteresting. I'll have to reflect on the vids shown, and post my thoughts later.

Overall I felt it was a royal foul-up. I accepted what was happening, but I'm an extremely forgiving person. Even so, I'll probably make good on last year's resolution, and go to Otakon or A-Con next year instead.

....and a big THANK YOU!!!!!!! to the folks here at a-m-v.org. If it weren't for the AMVs downloaded from here, the Friday crowd could have been much uglier.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:50 pm

and there was virtually no complaining
Hmmm, on the sunday showing, a few people groaned when the Linkin Park videos played and when my Dragon Bebop Z played, a few people shouted "IT WAS ROBBED!"

I agree the sunday showing was pretty smooth.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:31 pm

i robbed the comedy video from the action catagory... :shock:

¬_¬

Machine
Org Profile

Re: Good gravy

Post by Machine » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:02 am

Songblade wrote:AX is movin' to the Anaheim Convention Center next year x.o I think everyone was just too rowdy, and I'll bet the behavior at the AMV contest helped that out.

Just wait......AX will get what's coming to it.
:twisted:

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:49 am

mmm... revenge... so good...

EvilVegettoZ
Org Profile

Post by EvilVegettoZ » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:16 am

lol.....I just PRAY that AX will be better next year....that was just a SAD contest....

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:00 am

[prays]

yeah... at least the panel will be full of goodlooking guys...

¬_¬

Return to “AMV Contests”