Direct Downloads

WickedOwl
Org Profile

Direct Downloads

Post by WickedOwl » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:28 am

First of all, I looked around before I posted this to make sure I don't get yelled at for a frequent question. I didn't see this question anywhere.

Ok - I am unable to compress my videos to under 100 mb without some terrible quality reductions. I was wanting to know about direct downloads and if that's what I should do for my higher quality vids. From what I understand, you have to host your video on another website and then establish a link to that site. If so, what are some good hosting sites that could handle bigger videos? If that's not what direct downloads are, please help me to understand what they are and how to work them. Thanks.

-WickedOwl

Chao
Org Profile

Post by Chao » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:56 am

I don't know of anywhere free you'd be able to host something like that. Either look to buy some hositng or beg a friend with loads of spare space. Of course, unless you have hour long epic videos, you should be able to get some pretty decent quality at 100meg, I'd check through AD and ErMaC's Guide and check over the encoding sections. Try out some better filter settings and definately run double pass (or multipass if you have the time) and there shouldn't be problems here.[/url]

Gemberkoekje
Org Profile

Post by Gemberkoekje » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:38 pm

free:
128 mb AT MOST - and it won't do any file bigger then a few MB's... no option..

payed:
Heaven.. however it depends how many bucks you wanna spend on it...
BakaNeko.nl!

Riogi
Org Profile

Post by Riogi » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:54 pm

You can use YouSendIt.com (they'll give you a link at the end of the upload who could be used, but it works only for one week). Sorry, but it's the best I can do for you.

Gemberkoekje
Org Profile

Post by Gemberkoekje » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:48 pm

I don't think that'll work - its ment to send files, not host them...

And who wants a direct link for 1 week?
BakaNeko.nl!

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:49 pm

Once Kero is live, org may be more willing to take larger videos.

Considering everyone else manages 100MB, why is this video different? If even after trying the suggestions in the guides and from other members you still can't get it to 100MB, maybe I'll think about special-casing it onto Nago.

Or, by then, hopefully Kero will be live.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:16 pm

The only condition I can imagine for not being able to compress your video at excellent visual quality into >100MB is if it's significantly longer than 10 minutes (and even then...)

Do refer to the guides. XviD, among other things, is your friend when used properly.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

WickedOwl
Org Profile

Post by WickedOwl » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:32 pm

For some reason my computer is not capable of playing videos with XviD codec. My computer is very old - it cant play most .avi s either.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Then compress to mpeg1...

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:00 am

Riogi wrote:You can use YouSendIt.com
Yousend it deletes the file after 7 days or 25 downloads.
derobert wrote:Once Kero is live, org may be more willing to take larger videos.
That may just make people lazy as its easier to cover up flaws in the video's quality with larger, hgher resolution renders.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”