Ohayocon 2005 AMV contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
themaan
Org Profile

Post by themaan » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:24 pm

Wow, the whole time I thought I entered this...whoops.
Image Appeared on RDS 2/2/05

kitsunebeolnet
Wants Extra Stuff By Name
Org Profile

Post by kitsunebeolnet » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:03 pm

I was there. :D Got to meet a couple of other creators but if greenjinjo was there, I missed him. (Was looking forward to meeting him especially, wanted to pump for comedy tips.)

Illia will make the official winners announcements after she gets back home in a couple of days. (I know but I'm not telling. :P )

atrophiedXlungs
Org Profile

Post by atrophiedXlungs » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:22 am

I'm anxious to find out if I got third...I figured I had an outside chance, from looking at the other entries in that catagory. But I think my taste in music gave most people a headache (so probably not).
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.

greenjinjo
Org Profile

Post by greenjinjo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:24 am

kitsunebeolnet wrote:I was there. :D Got to meet a couple of other creators but if greenjinjo was there, I missed him. (Was looking forward to meeting him especially, wanted to pump for comedy tips.)
Whoa, really? Sorry I wasn't there :( Though I suppose if you really want to meet me, I'll be at Animazement in Durham, NC this May :P
kitsunebeolnet wrote:Illia will make the official winners announcements after she gets back home in a couple of days. (I know but I'm not telling. :P )
That's just plain mean :P
godix wrote:Free sausage. No conditions. No tricks. To the best of my ability I will give anyone a sausage on anything they ask for. I'm not kidding here, I'll do as many sausage as I can.
Check out my deviantART!

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:51 pm

So the winners were not announced at the con? Someone must have been there to witness things.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

kitsunebeolnet
Org Profile

Post by kitsunebeolnet » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:44 pm

mckeed wrote:So the winners were not announced at the con? Someone must have been there to witness things.
The winners were announced at the con but I'm waiting to let Illia make the official announcements. She put on a heck of a show. (BTW - 2nd/3rd place were not announced, maybe she'll have those.) She should be back to the land of cheese and beer soon if the roads weren't too bad.

All of the videos seemed to be well received. I sat through 3 of what I believe were 5 showings. The first in the main hall packed what I think were nearly 1000 people. I missed a 5am showing Saturday, but the 5pm showing had nearly 200 people trying to pack a normal-sized video room which led to an announced extra showing somewhere else. (I also caught another 'surprise' showing Sunday at noon.) The crowds stayed polite as much as I could tell. There were a small group at the Sunday showing that were tossing a few comments amoung themselves that I overheard. (One guy claimed to make videos himself and said that one of these days he'd get around to joining the org so we could all bow to his genious in making Linkin Ball videos. (Seriously!!!) :x )

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:35 pm

Fine, i'll accept not knowing the outcome for a few days. I would like to know however, how my videos were recieved. I made the Konoha Essences and Ramen, Feel Great videos. How was the general reaction. I got one report that said the videos were well recieved. Can you provide any further input?
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

kitsunebeolnet
Org Profile

Post by kitsunebeolnet » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:02 pm

mckeed wrote:Fine, i'll accept not knowing the outcome for a few days. I would like to know however, how my videos were recieved. I made the Konoha Essences and Ramen, Feel Great videos. How was the general reaction. I got one report that said the videos were well recieved. Can you provide any further input?
Well, they did get lots of laughs...epecially Essences. But to be honest, I don't think the crowd was overawed by the lip synching. Also, the skits just didn't have enough volume to overpower the crowd noise, especially in the main showing. I had to download Ramen after the show on Saturday to figure out everything being said.

Another creator also had a video very similar in style to yours that really wowwed everyone. (Konoha Hills Ninja) Funny thing was that it was not on the entry for voting or announced by Illia last week.

While all of the comedy videos earned applause at the big showing, 'Wildest Dream', 'Danger - Lowbrow Humor', 'I'm not American' and my own 'Girls who like Girls' were the least well received. (In the comedy division and from my perspective. I heard later that if I'd made a yaoi video instead of yuri, I'd of done much better. I guess I didn't know the crowd that well. :? ) At the last showing on Sunday, none of these drew much applause.
Last edited by kitsunebeolnet on Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:08 pm

Yeah, the source audio made it difficult to boost without it sounding really crappy. Well, i'm glad people laughed. I knew Ramen was a bit on the odd side and people might not get it. It is a con crowd and its tough to know how they will react. I knew Essences would go over well. Its that same kind of cheesy laugh that made Mentos go over well. Neither will win awards, but they were fun to make and people generally laugh at them.

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:40 am

The inticipation is building for those who couldn't go. Hopefully well find out the results soon.

Return to “AMV Contests”