Otakon results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Pyle
Org Profile

Post by Pyle » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:21 pm

Burn.

SDang
Org Profile

Post by SDang » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:10 am

I rarely subscribe to forums, but I was advised to read this forum. As my signiture suggests, I am Otakon 2004 and 2005's Programming Section Chief.* Otakon 2004 AMV Contest is a part of that section.

First off, I wish to apologize to Mr. Geoff Beebe for placing him in this situation. He had stepped up to the plate to coordinate the Otakon 2004 AMV Contest. Organizing and running a task such as this contest is quite daunting, especially after Mr. Matt Pyson had ran it so well for seven years (over seven?). Understand that those are some pretty hard shoes to fill.

I am disappointed in light of events called to my attention, and apologize for grievences caused by the Otakon 2004 AMV Contest. However, that does not excuse some of the members of this forum to verbally attack and/or incite rumors about Mr. Beebe or the workings of the AMV Contest Department. On the other hand, I applaud and thank those that have remained level headed (read: reasonable) on these topics.

I will not bring up past and locked posts, but will state that I did not fire anyone. Throughout the Otakon 2004 Convention year, one person was relieved of his position prior to the convention due to real world commitments (although he remains a staff member and performs staff duties). This person was not Mr. Geoff Beebe.

At the conclusion of the convention year, Otakon staff vote in new officers. Positions on staff are subject to change with the new administration. Section Chiefs retire, move on, and/or replaced; that is also true for Department Heads and Coordinators. Things change.

I have been in contact with a candidate for the 2005 AMV Contest Coordinator position. We realize the difficulties that the contest faces, and he has proposed resolutions to those difficulties. I hope that you are capable of looking past the 2004 contest and support, guide, and have faith in the 2005 AMV Contest Coordinator. An announcement of who this is will be made available on the Otakon website, forums, and possibly here in the near future.

Comments about the AMV Contest or Mr. Beebe can be sent to me at Sdang@otakon.com. I will respond as soon as I am capable.

Again I apologize, Geoff, for the actions and abuse you have been subjected to.

*Otakon is a servicemark of Otakorp, INC.
Sam Dang
Programming Section Chief
Board of Directors - Member at Large
Otakon 2004, 2005

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:40 am

my vote didn't get counted
cause i didn't know i had to bring a pen to mark my votes, and the next day i forgot to submit the ballot because of the l'arc concert.

i guess even though there were problems behind the scenes, the main contest was really amazing to watch, and I thought Geoff, Quu, and the other people running it did a great job in the presentation.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:13 am

If someone could just step up to the plate, take some responsibility, and answer the questions at hand, there wouldn't have to be this cloud of mystery surrounding the contest.

One thing I can say for sure is that none of this was even an issue when Matt was around, and we're all certainly hoping for the best next year. Otakon is widely considered one of the hobby's most prestigious contests to be accepted to, and it would be a shame for a group of editors to not decide to enter the contest based on a single year's events. These editors provide hours of free programming for the convention, and for them to be left in the dark as to what's happening with their own contest *is* rather embarrassing.

No-one is answering any questions, and merely coming back with a) nothing, or b) calls to stop asking questions. It all sounds so petty, but with the potential for the entire contest's results to be deemed inaccurate... yeah.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:54 pm

Yep... Sadly I must agree with you....

Vlad

SDang
Org Profile

Post by SDang » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:37 pm

downwithpants wrote:my vote didn't get counted
cause i didn't know i had to bring a pen to mark my votes, and the next day i forgot to submit the ballot because of the l'arc concert.

i guess even though there were problems behind the scenes, the main contest was really amazing to watch, and I thought Geoff, Quu, and the other people running it did a great job in the presentation.
If you didn't submit your ballot in on time, I am afraid there is nothing Otakon staff could have done about that.*
VegettoEX wrote:If someone could just step up to the plate, take some responsibility, and answer the questions at hand, there wouldn't have to be this cloud of mystery surrounding the contest.
I did not once ask you guys to stop asking questions. In fact, I left my email address available in my post for you to ask questions and comment to me directly. Mr. Beebe adressed some or most of the questions pertaining to the AMV Contest on Otakon's forum. I stated that I would not bring up items from locked threads or dead threads. I did not come here to cause flame wars or beat dead horses.
It all sounds so petty, but with the potential for the entire contest's results to be deemed inaccurate... yeah.
Mr. Beebe made these statements concerning the counting of the ballots. This can be found on the Otakon web board (board.otakon.com), although it is now a locked thread in the Public Discussions forum, Topic: Otakon Amv Contest.
Mr. Beebe wrote:At 7:00pm saturday, 1/2 of the ballots were counted. At that time, I asked one of my staffers to go find 2-4 more ppl. He came back, 6 minutes later with 3.

At 7:45 (give or take), the nine of us finished, I had them compile the results and told them to meet me at workshop 1 (AMV workshop)...the results came to me a little after 8 pm.

So, long story short. The results were all counted. I don't know which high ranking or senior staffer told you this, but the only staffer who wasn't on amv staff who came into the room was only there for five seconds, literally. I'm not saying you or he is lying, but the info gathered is inaccurate.
I will note that the Otakon AMV contest is the only contest that counted scores and posted them on the web in the past. Cosplay Hall Contests, Model Contest, Masquerade and Video Gaming Tournaments do not post scores. This is a very time consuming step, and is at the discretion of the Coordinator to undertake that task. I apologize that you probably will not get the scores posted on the net.

*Otakon is a servicemark of Otakorp, INC.
Sam Dang
Programming Section Chief
Board of Directors - Member at Large
Otakon 2004, 2005

Return to “AMV Contests”