Second Instrumentality: Around The World in 80 Minutes

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
rogueintellectproductions
Org Profile

Post by rogueintellectproductions » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:05 pm

I've been hesitant to reply, since I'm not sure how much time I have to commit, but I have an idea for one of the Paris segments. The concept is the Spirit of Invention, music would be La Noyee from the Amelie soundtrack, footage would be period pieces such as Spirit of Wonder, Nadia, a little Kiki's Delivery Service, maybe even some of Disney's Atlantis. I want to try to develop a nickelodeon feel - the old movie machines, not the network. :)

CPFuller
To paraphrase one Mr. Cool James, please refrain from referring to it as a revival, I've been lurking for ages.

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:55 pm

I like this idea, especially since it stemmed from my suggestion ;p I have a slight idea to the Sandwich Islands part... maybe using Disney's Lilo and Stich, since its part of Hawaii. Not sure on the music yet, but I would try to find something Hawaian, or Hawaian sounding. Anyone know of any actual "Anime" based in Hawaii?

what the heck, but me down for that for now, If I find I can't do it, I'll post to free up the slot for someone else.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:58 pm

I think I have an idea for New York. Take the song "New York, New York", trim it down some, and set it to $MAJOR_MODERN_ANIME_CITY (in other words, I want to use my BGC2040).

Unless I can get ahold of Gunsmith Cats and a song about Chicago, I think I'll try for that.

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:21 pm

RougeIntellectProductions - Amile soundtrack for Paris - sounds great (I loved that film, not to mention Audrey - it seems a certain special grace goes with actresses by tht name). I like the sound of the Nickelodian feel too, it could really turn into something special and would definately help to join the multi-series clips together to give them a connected feel. Have you seen Haibane? The city there has a very continental European feel, and might also be good for footage if the wings don't get in the way. Princess Tutu also has a lot of scenes in an old European-looking town that was actually based on a town in Germany, but could also be easily interpereted as French. There was also a replica of the Eiffel tower in the Cowboy Bebop movie. Not trying to tell anyone what to do, just tossing up ideas.

Bakadeshi - Lilo and Stitch would be great for a Hawaii video. I think there probably are a
few locations on here that would be hard to cover in anime but have a lot of play in various Disney films.

Kalium - I'm not sure what $MAJOR_MODERN_ANIME_CITY is supposed to mean (unless you're just saying it'll use footage of anonymous giant cities to stand in for New York), but I'm sure you'll come up with something interesting.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:38 am

Whoever does New York should use Theme for New York City from this album

It's a funk jazz version of Chopin's Prelude in E Minor and it's great.

P.S. It seems unfair to have Paris twice but no london - given that Fogg starts and ends in London, not Paris.

The list of countries visited are here http://library.thinkquest.org/J002459F/countrie.htm

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 am

thanks AD.

but... the Hawaii part is not on this map. interesting. is this list complete?
According to this map, the list should look like:

San Fransisco, California
New York New York
Bublin Ireland
London, England
Suez, Egypt
Bombay India
Calcutta, India
Singapore
Shanghai China
Yokohama Japan
Hong Kong

I do have the book around here somewhere, I suppose i could just go check the darn book if i can find it
:lol:
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:29 am

Yeah, I dont have a copy of the book so I cant check.

I don't remember Fogg in Hawaii but anyway.

I do have plenty of music suggestions for cities if people need them, though.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:23 am

Hmm... Edo? Perhaps Samurai Champloo, but there are only two episodes out right now...

*Ponders*

-DOKool

rogueintellectproductions
Org Profile

Post by rogueintellectproductions » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:24 am

There is an eBook version of Around the World here. I scanned it and found an early mention of Phileas Fogg's planned route:

"These dates were inscribed in an itinerary divided into columns, indicating the month, the day of the month, and the day for the stipulated and actual arrivals at each principal point Paris, Brindisi, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Singapore, Hong Kong, Yokohama, San Francisco, New York, and London--from the 2nd of October to the 21st of December; and giving a space for setting down the gain made or the loss suffered on arrival at each locality. This methodical record thus contained an account of everything needed, and Mr. Fogg always knew whether he was behind-hand or in advance of his time. On this Friday, October 9th, he noted his arrival at Suez, and observed that he had as yet neither gained nor lost."

Of course, this route doesn't mention that Mr. Fogg and his attendant Passepartout started out in London. There are also some unscheduled stops along the way - Shanghai, Omaha and Dublin among them. Hawaii, unfortunately, does not make an appearance. The route, then, looks something like this (parenthetical locations are stops off the main route):

London
Paris
Brindisi, Italy
Suez, Egypt
Bombay
(Brahmain sacred ground in India)
Calcutta
Singapore
Hong Kong
(Shanghai)
Yokohama
San Fransisco
(Fort Kearney, NE)
New York
(Dublin)
(Liverpool)
London

I feel like Dave letterman doing a Top Ten list... :)
CPFuller
To paraphrase one Mr. Cool James, please refrain from referring to it as a revival, I've been lurking for ages.

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:01 pm

Okay - now that I seem to have caused all this confusion:

We'll be going with the RogueIntellect version, unless new evidence surfaces that yet another location has been overlooked.

Sorry - I'm afraid I've only read one Jules Verne novel so far, and this wasn't it. That submarine captain was a pretty interesting guy, though.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”