Anime Central 2004 AMV Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
SailorDeath
Org Profile

Anime Central 2004 AMV Contest Results

Post by SailorDeath » Mon May 17, 2004 9:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I know most of your are anxious about the winners, as well as a list of the entries into the music video contest.

First, I would like to thank everyone who submitted a video to anime central, Without your hours of hard work, we would not have a contest. Additionally, we are sorry if your video was one that had to be cut from the contest. This year, we recieved 90 entries for the music video contest that ran for about 5 hours. We had to shorten the contest to 3 hours 15 minutes and many good videos were cut.

If your video won, and you were not present at the convention, I will be contacting you later this week via email regarding your award.

So, without any more delays, here are the winners:

Best Drama: A Different Side of Me by Suberunker Studeosh
Honorable Mention: Consequences of War by CJ Hayes
Honorable Mention: Priceless by OrangeAnime Studios

Best Theme: Blatant Travel Commerical by rogueintelligenceproductions
Honorable Mention: It's all That... by Electric Leech Productions
Honorable Mention: Anime Idol (Extended) by Mecha-Lucifer

Best Staff: 'Cuz I'm a GAL (Kogals Are Easy) by Brackus JS Productions
Honorable Mention: Repet by Michelle Park
Honorable Mention: Sasuke's Ninja and Shinobis by Sailor Death Productions

Best Action: Chuunin Combat by Songbird 21
Honorable Mention: Fight for Justice by JCD
Honorable Mention: A Hellingly Thrillish Night by Dragon Eye Studios

Best Comedy: Why...? Can't...? I...? by AtomX
Honorable Mention: Yattasmen by Scott Waldron
Honorable Mention: Cowboy Modeling II: The Second Tragedy

Best Technical Achievement: Ghibli's All Around the World by gODIX
Honorable Mention: Gatts - Cloud Connected by Sir Lagsalot
Honorable Mention: Alternate Eva Opening: Eva Bebop by Scintilla, Peter J. Tom-Wolverton

Best Original Concept: A Hellingly Thrillish Night by Dragon Eye Studios
Honorable Mention: Why...? Can't...? I...? by AtomX
Honorable Mentoin: A Different Side of Me by Suberunker Studeosh

Best of Show: Alternate Eva Openting: Eva Bebop by Scintilla, Peter J. Tom-Wolverton
Honorable Mention: Chuunin Combat by Songbird 21
Honorable Mention: Love is a Battlefield by Vlad G. Pohnert

There you have it, the winners of the Anime Central 2004 Music Video Contest.

Also, at this point I would like to comment that, while I strive to bring you a perfect contest, mistakes do happen. those who were in attendance may have noticed that we missed 3 videos that contained bumpers at the end. Anticipating this, Judges were informed before hand that if we did miss one, that it would be automatically disqualified, and ineligable for awards.

The Following List is a compilation of all the videos that were shown in the contest. If your entry is not in this list, then it was either eliminated during the prejuding, or violated a rule.

Drama
...and forever [dreaming] trythil Escaflowne Movie - A Girl In Gaia Yuki Kajiura "Fiction"
Don't Treat Me Like An Angel NekoWaBaka Productions Final Fantasy Dido "No Angel"
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing Brad DeMoss Saikano Aerosmith "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
Cry Little Idol Dark Side Productions Perfect Blue Gerard McMann "Cry Little Sister"
Time's Medly AniVasion Fushigi Yuugi Chrono Cross OST "Scars left by time"
Memories Karen Ning Read or Dream the TV Deana Carter "Once Upon a December"
The Bird Who Flew Too Far Jani Kauppila Haibane Renmei Pyotr Tchaikovsky "Swan Lake"
Sorrow phrea Vicious, Brian Auxier Gunslinger Girls Jem "They"
Gates of Dawn Crustol Full Metal Alchemist Secret Gardet "Gates of Dawn"
Forbidden Memories jasper-isis Fruits Basket Van Craven "Time In A Bottle (Piano Adaptation)"
Consequences of War CJ Hayes Now and Then, Here and There Iced Earth "Consequences", History Channel "WWII: The War in Europe (commentary)"
A Different Side of Me Suberunker Studeosh Golden Boy Matchbox 20 "Unwell"
Priceless OAS/norskotaku RahXephon Copeland "Priceless"
Destroy She Said Studio Tarantella Metropolis Circ "Destroy She Said (De Donatis Remix)"
Winds of Change Funky Foot Productions Record of Lodoss War Soul Asylum "Winds of Change"
Til I Get Over Mamoru DJ Sapphire Sailor Moon Michelle Branch "'Til I Get Over You"
The Only One Uchiha Productions Rurouni Kenshin Yellowcard "Only One"
Starry Melody Morning Belles Various HAL "Starry Sky (DZ Air Raid Mix)
Lunar MizuMelon Lunar: the Silver Star Story Savage Garden "The Best Thing"
She Has the Tough N.G. Silver Armitage III Peter Gabriel "I have the Touch"
Here Comes the Sun Daniel Chang Various The Beatles "Here Comes the Sun"

Theme
Telephone Love Metro Productions Various Footage Various Songs
Blatant Travel Commercial rogueintellectproductions Various SID "Ao"
It's All That... Electric Leech Productions Various Original Audio "Original Audio", Lords of Acid "Young Boys (Squeeky Clean Leech Mix)"
Anime Idol (Extended) Mecha-Lucifer Various Footage Luv unlimited "Candy*"

Staff
X Neo Saturn Productions, NeoSaturn, James Sanjurjo Guilty Gear X, Guilty Gear X2 DMX "X gonna give it to ya"
'Cuz I'm a GAL (Kogals Are Easy) Brakus JS Productions SuperGALS! Julie Brown "'Cuz I'm a Blonde"
Sasukes Ninja and Shinobi Sailor Death Productions Naruto James Wong "A Man Should Help Himself"
Nostalgia: The Rise of Lynn Minmay Darius Washington Macross Irene Cara "Fame"
Repet Michelle Park Various Unknown "Repet Commercial"

Action
Love is a Battlefield Vlad G Pohnert Gundam 0083 Pat Benatar "Love is a Battlefield"
Ghibli's All Around The World gODIX Various A Touch of Class "Around the World"
Scrapped Matrix *Remastered* Vancore Studios Scrapped Princess Matrix Revolutions Teaser "Teaser Audio"
Angel's Redemption AuN Studios Ayashi no Ceres Mazedude "Bloodbath"
Prayer Justin Hoffman The Animatrix Disturbed "Prayer"
Mine To Betrayal Studio Project: P A N D A Escaflowne Movie - A Girl In Gaia A Perfect Circle "Pet"
Grand Theft Megadeus Studio Hybrid Big O Overseer "Horndog"
A Hellingly Thrillish Night Dragon Eye Studios Hellsing Michael Jackson "Thriller"
Air Master Superstar QazYseult Air Master Rob Zombie "Dead Girl Superstar"
I Am An Outsider Doki Doki Productions Fushigi Yuugi Pop Will Eat Itself "Ich Bin Ein Auslander"
In The Middle of Azumanga LivItUp Productions Azumanga Daioh Jimmy Eat World "The Middle"
Control Jacegriff Fullmetal Alchemist Hoobastank "Out of Control"
Dark Journey Orange Kitten Productions Shamanic Princess Evanescence "Imaginary"
Heart and Spade Justin Torres Jubei-chan 2 The Infection "Mad Blast"
Gatts - Cloud Connected Sir Lagsalot Beserk In Flames "Cloud Connected (Club Connected Remix)"
The Supernatural Toad the Paladin Studo, Nathan Mikeska Read or Die White Zombie "Super Charger Haven"
Nerv's Basket Case Lichtenstein Company, Philip Long Neon Genesis Evangeilion Green Day "Basket Case"
Chuunin Combat Songbird 21 Naruto Utah Saints "Mortal Kombat"
Fight For Justice JCD Kiddy Grade Toshihiko Takamizawa "Battle Of Fire (female chours version)"

Comedy
Alternate Eva Opening: Eva Bebop Scintilla, Peter J. Tom-Wolverton Neon Genesis Evangelion Yoko Kanno, Tank
Emcee Sak Lilgumba Card Captor Sakura Missy Elliott "Get Ur Freak On"
Yattasmen Scott Waldron Shinesman Happa-tai "Yatta"
Hot Rod What? Hoshizora Productions Initial D, You’re Under Arrest Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen "Hot Rod Lincoln"
Teenage Cowboy Bebop Turtles HAX, Screaming Banshee Studios Cowboy Bebop Trailer Audio "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme"
Tarzan And Jane Mark Lowther Various Toybox "Tarzan And Jane"
And Now Ladies and Gentlemen A C.K. Idea Various Outkast "Hey Ya"
Cowboy Modeling II: The Second Tragedy Rozard Cowboy Bebop Handsome Boy's Modeling School "Modeling Sucks"
Why...? Can't...? I...? AtomX Final Fantasy VIII Me First & The Gimme Gimmes "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"
We Like the Moon SMTEMP Various rathergood.com "We Like the Moon"
Asuka Baby One More Time Dragonmaster Lou/Teal Studios Neon Genesis Evangelion Britney Spears "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

I also created a thread on the anime central forums, if you have any responses, criticism or suggestions, please post them to http://www.acen.org/forums/showthread.p ... eadid=3994 and not to this list, I can keep track of your responses and log them easily if we keep everything localized to that thread.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon May 17, 2004 10:27 pm

Thanks for running such a fun contest Julius :) Though I didn't realize I also got an honorable mention in Original Concept :o Neat! :D

I will be putting the video up some time tonight.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

jal0021
Org Profile

Post by jal0021 » Mon May 17, 2004 11:21 pm

I rarely submit videos to contests, but since I was a finalist at Acen last year, I made special effort to have something new ready in time for this year's convention. So, I'm a bit surprised to see my entry cut from the contest completely. It's a solid video, so I'm left to assume the 20 entries chosen for the Drama category were really good. Either that, or there was some sort of technical snafu with the file.

And the only reason I take the idea of a technical snafu into serious consideration is due to what happened last year. Even though my entry was chosen as a finalist in the pre-judging, it was left out of the playlist for final judging due the file somehow becoming corrupted. Rather than getting a new copy of the file from Quu, the staff just left it out. I'm aware that the staff is different this year, but it'll still color my impression of how the convention handles the contest year after year.

The funny thing is, I really don't care much about winning - the competition is so fierce nowadays and I don't edit with winning contests in mind - but I do care about having my videos shown in front of larger audiences. So, to have an entry cut completely stings...a lot. I know videos have to be cut nowadays at the big conventions due to the incredible number of entries received, but to spend a year waiting for a specific contest and having a specific video ready for said contest (and not send it to any other big contests out of fairness...for example, I chose not to submit the video to Otakon), only to have it cut...it makes me question whether I should bother submitting anything in the future.

Anyway, congratulations to all the videos that made it into the contest and all the videos that won. I'm off to download!
-Jeff Lawson | <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... id=295">My Profile</a>

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon May 17, 2004 11:23 pm

Teenage Cowboy Bebop Turtles HAX
rawk!

I wish I was there to see that on the big screen. 8)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon May 17, 2004 11:44 pm

jal0021 wrote: And the only reason I take the idea of a technical snafu into serious consideration is due to what happened last year. Even though my entry was chosen as a finalist in the pre-judging, it was left out of the playlist for final judging due the file somehow becoming corrupted. Rather than getting a new copy of the file from Quu, the staff just left it out. I'm aware that the staff is different this year, but it'll still color my impression of how the convention handles the contest year after year.
Was that the video that glitched halfway through playing last year? We did reshow it, as for the contest assembly, and the shwoing form last year, we used Quu computer. The contest was run form his computer again this year too, he had all the source files. and for technichal problems, I think there were 3 that had tech problems and weren't included, and 1 that was never uploaded.
jal0021 wrote: The funny thing is, I really don't care much about winning - the competition is so fierce nowadays and I don't edit with winning contests in mind - but I do care about having my videos shown in front of larger audiences. So, to have an entry cut completely stings...a lot. I know videos have to be cut nowadays at the big conventions due to the incredible number of entries received, but to spend a year waiting for a specific contest and having a specific video ready for said contest (and not send it to any other big contests out of fairness...for example, I chose not to submit the video to Otakon), only to have it cut...it makes me question whether I should bother submitting anything in the future.

Anyway, congratulations to all the videos that made it into the contest and all the videos that won. I'm off to download!
We showed all the cut videos, we had 3 scheduled showings, one at 7am on saturday, then later that night (after the DDR Project) then again early on sunday. Albiet they weren't the best hours, so for next year, I plan on putting it in a better spot so even more people will see it. There was only one video that didn't make that list (besides the ones that didn't work) and that was due to profanity.

Cutting videos is never an easy task, and besides awa's method of voting for AWA Pro, there is no real fair way to effictvely gauge what the audience likes the most.

To be honest, I'd love to show every entry, it stings to have to cut too. Especially just two years ago I was right there with you wondering if my entries were cut. But as Quu told me "Every con cuts videos, there's no way to sugar coat it, you have the hard task of deciding which ones get cut." so I opted for the most fair way possible at the time. It may not be the best way, but there is no WAY I'm going to go back to the way it was done with the midnight oil showings. They nearly killed me, and with how I was this year, (I arrived at 10am thursday, and did not get to sleep until 40 hours later) a late night showing like we did before would have probably messed me up.

But I want people's suggestions, it appears we need to find a solid prejuding method. DWChang suggested something like AWA, and while that's fair, and probably the best, Quu does not want to do that (and believe me I asked him about it) So we have to find some other method to cut the contest.

Additionally, one change that is going into effect for next year is that we're going to shorten the contest, 3 and a half hours (actual run time 3 hours 20 mintues) is WAY too long. Next year we're going to go to 2 and a half hour to 2 hour 45 minutes. WHich means if we get as many entries as we did this year. we're going to have to cut over half the entries.

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Tue May 18, 2004 12:35 am

neat. my video was shown.
that's plenty accomplishment right there.

Songbird21
Org Profile

Post by Songbird21 » Tue May 18, 2004 1:18 am

Excuse me a moment...SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!

I had ABSOLUTELY no IDEA I had won!!! If a friend hadn't said "congrats on your awards". I said "Awards? What awards?"

Oh my God! I have been jumping up and down screaming like an idiot for the last 15 minutes! Thank you so much!

Oh, um, how do I get my awards by the way?
Best editing Connecticon 2013: Bravery

Switchplate City- Custom lightswitch covers (Some anime related) and more!

"Bloodline of Atlantis: The Triple Psi" - My fantasy novel (Only $1.99 It's an Ebook).

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Tue May 18, 2004 1:38 am

I'll be sending e-mails out later this week with information on how to claim your trophy.

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Tue May 18, 2004 1:57 am

yay AR was shown ^^ ... /wonders how it looked on big screen..... guess I'll have to wait for otakon to actually see it, that is if it even makes the cut ^^
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Tue May 18, 2004 1:59 am

oh yes, wheres my manners, congrats on all those that won!!

I have lots of downloading to do now....
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

Return to “AMV Contests”