Getting Started

tagrat
Org Profile

Getting Started

Post by tagrat » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:05 am

I finally got my new computer, one worthy of editing an AMV. I've tried ripping dvds and compressing them using both FlaskMPG and Xmpeg. No matter what settings I use, I can not get the horrible interlacing problem to go away. I've tried reading the guides on here but they haven't been much help. Should I convert the dvd to divx using one of those programs or what should I do? I was trying to use TMPGEnc but I need a source that isn't IFO or VOB. Please help...

jbone
Org Profile

REFGA

Post by jbone » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:04 am

Read the guides again, and carefully. They <I>do</I> contain the answers you seek.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:27 am

tagrat, you remind me of me last august ^^
I had just bought a sweet ass sony vaio (yah yah name brand rig bite me :p) and I though hey, now I'll be able to make music vids like pocket change. Heheh, after 10 months of reading I know more about video than anyone needs to but it was an essential step to making music vids. Anyway, give yourself time. It'll be hard at first but if you read and read and test and read and test, you'll get there. Best places to start,

Aluminum's video section:
http://www.aluminumstudios.com/digitalvideo/index.html

the guides section of this site

and Doom9, you'll eventually learn everything you need form the guides and the forum.

http://www.doom9.org

Good luck
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

merrow
Org Profile

Post by merrow » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:47 am

Also something to consider is that not all DVDs are created equal. Some are not very well made. Try different sources to make sure that the problem is indeed on your end and not that of the DVD itself.

tagrat
Org Profile

Post by tagrat » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:11 pm

Well, I have moved forward a little bit, yet now I have another problem.
= P I made a dvd2avi project so that I can use it in TMPGEnc but when I try to import the project, it won't allow me. Any clues? I'm going to try a different version and maybe that will help.

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:52 am

it works still good in xmpeg/flaskmpeg when you lower the resolution
i've ripped some evangelion episodes in 384 x 288 which looks still pretty good. also lower the framerate if the problem is still there
if that doesn't work as you like, use guardian knot / dvd2avi etc. but it takes much longer than in xmpeg.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:10 pm

JCD wrote:use guardian knot / dvd2avi etc. but it takes much longer than in xmpeg.
The software is named Gordian Knot - *not* "guardian." (Just in case you actually want to look for it.)

It may take longer than XMPEG, but the results are bound to be better.

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:00 am

forgive me, I'm not able to remind such things.

yeah, the results are better. but for ripping all eva-eps i used x. gordian knot would take way too long.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:49 pm

JCD wrote:yeah, the results are better. but for ripping all eva-eps i used x. gordian knot would take way too long.
What's more important here - getting things done quickly, or having a finished product that looks as good as possible? :-D It's not like there's a race to finish your videos...

Return to “Video & Audio Help”