Most Obscure Materials?

Rorschach
Org Profile

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:25 pm

SarahtheBoring wrote:It's not exactly a video editing skill... you could slap together a vid in five minutes from a super-obscure anime, but does that make it a good video? :?
Well, of course, if it weren't any good, no one would care to vote for it. There would also be a built-in incentive not to produce total crap in that rare and unusual footage, as well as rare and unusual songs, are something you'd tend to want to show to the best advantage; by using these materials, you're showing you've got something cool that not many other people do. A fairly good example would be that "Center of the Sun" video I saw which combined Metropolis (a movie not everyone has seen or understood) with music by Conjure One (who's that?). It probably wouldn't win in this category, but it would definitely get a fair number of votes.

Of course, on the other hand, there might be an incentive to use really cheesy anime that no one likes or wants to use with really crappy music no one has ever heard of. If this were done the right way, though, it would make a great comedy video. (This works by the same principle that causes some people to fill their days with laughter watching B-grade films.) For example, a song that just drips with mournful sentimentalism set to footage of the not-so-regrettable death of a rather forgettable character in an anime that never should have been made could be outrageously funny. I would vote for that!

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:31 pm

One video that comes to mind when you're talking about obscure material is Ian's "<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... orytelling - A Gothic Fairytale</a>" video.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:40 pm

I feel like I saw 57 Metropolis vids in the finals of Otakon 03 alone. If you think it's obscure, I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. :?

Anyway, I'm not on that whole "if it's obscure that means it's automatically good" mindset, so I'll bow out of the conversation. Just had to note that Metropolis is by no stretch of the imagination obscure anymore.

Braveliver
Org Profile

Post by Braveliver » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:46 pm

Rorschach wrote: Well, of course, if it weren't any good, no one would care to vote for it. There would also be a built-in incentive not to produce total crap in that rare and unusual footage, as well as rare and unusual songs, are something you'd tend to want to show to the best advantage;
Ok. I know what you mean here Rorscharch, when you have an obscure Anime that you like alot, you don't want to slap something together half heartedly, you want to do something that is worthy of the Anime, and it does mean something about knowing, and being able to get your hands on more unknown titles, as well as putting it to good music that may not be as well known, but it is still what you do with it that counts, and that is what I think Sarah is saying.

SarahtheBoring wrote:I feel like I saw 57 Metropolis vids in the finals of Otakon 03 alone. If you think it's obscure, I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. :?
I have to agree on this point with Sarah here. Metropolis is not obscure, and never has been. In fact, it was reviewed on national TV by Ebert & Roper, and its soundtrack is listed on Rhapsody's top 100 movie soundtracks. (It is also one of the biggest selling Anime DVD's at Wal Mart)

Now classics like Studio Ghibli's "Only Yesterday" would fall in the more unknown works, and "Robot Carnival" or "Huminoid" under the harder to get a good dvd quality footage of. These are the kinds of things I think that you may have had in mind. Hard to get and hard to make a vid out of.

But,

Sarah, I think you need to realize that this catagory, which I agree does not have a chance of being accepted, is more in the spirit of bringing out to the public eye Anime that would not normally be seen as much, and commend people for putting together good videos using that anime. It is not rewarding them for finding the most obscure Anime and just slapping it together, but making good original videos that make you say, "Gee, what Anime is that from. I have to check that out!" as Kevin Caldwell's <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... .php?v=802"> Phantom of the Opera</a> did for the still hard to find "Memories" (I think you can order the Chinese DVD version of it, but I have never seen it released in America)

With that said, lets end the conversation and continue enjoying these wonderful AMV's people have made, both common and uncommon.
Ah, yah wan tah know how I got mah name do ya? Well now, when I was a wee little tyke of 1 year ah wen a crawling up to a keg o' fire ale an started licken the spout. Mah mother saw meh and says, "Ah what a BraveLiver you got there," an the name stuck.
You can view my videos by <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... ">clicking here</a>. Please leave an opinion. I really want to know what you think.

Rorschach
Org Profile

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:23 pm

SarahtheBoring wrote:I feel like I saw 57 Metropolis vids in the finals of Otakon 03 alone. If you think it's obscure, I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. :?

Anyway, I'm not on that whole "if it's obscure that means it's automatically good" mindset, so I'll bow out of the conversation. Just had to note that Metropolis is by no stretch of the imagination obscure anymore.
Well, I honestly wouldn't know how popular Metropolis is these days: I don't go to cons. (A year or so ago, though, I did have trouble finding a Metropolis AMV I could download here...) It was just an example, anyway. Nowadays... I don't know what would be obscure. I mostly only have popular animes myself. In any case, whether such a category ever comes into existence or not, I still think it would be a good category. I'll let the matter go at that.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:27 am

There is something to be said for the usefullness of videos that are made using obscure source (moreso with video source than audio source). I know there have been a few videos that I've watched that have used something obscure (at the time) that have been really good and made me want to track it down so I could watch it. For me, the top of this list was Turboneko's "Let's Get Down" Azumanga Daioh video.

But yes, simply using obscure source does not immediately imply that the video will be good- and different people will classify things differently when it comes to deciding what is 'obscure'- as has already been demonstrated. And this changes a lot over time as well- once something is released domestically and becomes much easier for people to use it generally gets used a lot more.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2004”