AnimeUSA Finalist List

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
VicBond007
Org Profile

AnimeUSA Finalist List

Post by VicBond007 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:47 pm

Well, the deadline is over so I can finally let the cat out of the bag (though Rozard's post in another thread did kind of blow it for me ^.~) I am in charge of all the technical aspects of this year's AMV contest, from the conversion of all the submissions, down to the live contest screening itself.

Last year AnimeUSA accepted 2 entries per person and they barely got 2 hours worth of submissions. Anticipating the same trend this year, I again allowed for 2 submissions from each person...

We got a grand total of 3 hours and 10 minutes worth of footage. The contest could only be 2 hours long, and so the submissions had to be screened in advance and ranked by a crack team of pre-judges consisting of myself, an ex-playboy playmate, a LinkinBallZ creator, a chicken, and a corpse. OK not really, but me and another pre-judge did spend all yesterday determaining the finalists. Unlike certain other cons that I've evaluated in advance, this decission was not easy at all. The consistant quality of the submissions we received this year is superb and if I felt the audience would be willing to sit through a 3.5 hour screening (and the con would give us the block) I would definately screen them all at once. However, our attention spans are only so long.

If your video is not on the list, fear not, if you received your confirmation email, then your entry will be screened during the "overflow hour" at the convention, at a time that will be disclosed at a later time.

Before I get started, I would like to address an issue that I'm sure some people may see a problem with. On this list, is a video that I created. While some may immediately cry foul at the sign of a staff member competing in his own contest, hear me out first.

I agreed to do the technical work for this contest because, in the few that were attending the con, I had the technical knowhow/equipment/free time to really pull off an excellent showing (And Quu REALLY needs a break!). However, I also wanted to compete. The video I entered was never screened at a contest before so I wanted to give it a chance at a con I would be attending. AUSA's response was that it was my rules, and therefore my call. Those who read the rules in detail may (or may not) have noticed that there is no clause preventing staff from entering.

To be fair to the rest of the entrants and to assure that it will be judged fairly, I am ignorant as to the identity of the judges that will be determaining the categorical winners this year. The tapes will be mailed to Waldo, who will in turn be mailing them to the judges so the videos can be evaluated before the con. Furthermore, I insisted that I have nothing to do with the voting. I will not even design the ballots, much less count them. Come the awards ceremony, I will know as much as the general audience.

My video is also the third shortest video on the track. If it were removed, it would not even clear enough room to put another video in, and therefore I am not "blocking" a spot for somebody who's video was on the verge of making the finals. In addition to that, removing my video would leave only 1 video in that category, thus forcing me to move it into another category that it may or may not deserve to be in.

If anybody still takes offense to my simultanious organizing and competing, please, take it out privately, or in a new thread. This thread is about the finalists for AUSA 2003 and should stay positive and happy...and stuff.

So without further ado, here's THE LIST!

DRAMA/SERIOUS
--------------------
Corran Productions - The World She Knows
Daniel "Fungie" McCarthy - Mikako's Hope
Graven Image - The Dispossessed
Hidama Productions - Adinokyi Malen'kyi Zvetok
Knowname - Akira: Castle in the Sky
Lady Peorth - Silent Lies
Shapeshifter Studios - Deluge
Tom "the Fish" Guttadauro - Speak my Language
Rozard - I Have Seen

ROMANCE/SENTIMENTAL
-----------------------------
Third Lens Open Productions - See Ya Later Naota
Khan Tran - Love in the Galaxy
Janzki - Lethal Embrace
Phillip Long and Qui Nguyen - Anything For Love
Mexican Junior - Siempre Juntos
Shapeshifter Studios - Roseate Nocturne
We Should Be Working Entertainment - Call Me Call Me
Pledge of Love - Lady Peorth

ACTION
---------
Beowulf - Hail to the Thief
Good Luck Studios - Comfort Through Weiss
Marisa Panaccio - Bring Me to Life
Rozard - Price to Fly
Seenage Inc. - .Hack//Path

UPBEAT
---------
ABR Industries - Sometimes I Don't Ein
Dark Side Productions - Belldandy is a God
Starwind/Hawking Productions - Shrine of the Goddess

COMEDY
----------
Third Lens Open - Right Now It's Tricky to be Shameless
Shonen Productions - Lazy Tetsuo
Shin Hatsubai Productions - We Have Come For Your Cheez Balls
Silent Dragon Studios - Underwear Inspector No. 12
Bogosort - It's Tricky to be a Troll
Electric Leech Productions - Dai-Osaka Rap
AniVision - Serendipity

TRAILER
----------
Electric Leech Productions - Samurai Windu
VicBond007 Productions - Witch Hunter Robin: Reloaded

Congrats to the finalists! This year is going to be very tough on the judges!!!
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:13 pm

Shenanigans! My entry didn't make it in!!!!111ONE!!111
Oh wait, I didn't enter :-P

Just had to post that since I predict someone is thinking this and hopefully my sarcasm will make them think otherwise.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:15 pm

Err...forgot to post this in my last post:

"Good luck to all the contestants and have a good time (without me :() guys!"
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:20 pm

Well, crud. Since I didn't get a confirmation email, I guess my form didn't arrive in time. I knew I was cutting it close, but there's always hoping. This'll teach me to not wait until the last minute to mail it.

I wish I was going to be there. It looks like there's going to be a lot of good videos. Best of luck to everyone.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:22 pm

WooT!!

:Goes to download competition to see if he has any real chance of winning:

Good luck to everyone.

Fungie½
Org Profile

Post by Fungie½ » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:26 pm

Congragulations to all the finalists ^_^ Looks like it's gonna be some rough competition this year. Oh by the way, if any of the people on this list are going to the con and will be there Saturday, wanna do a little get together of some sort? ^_^

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:29 pm

JHU, what video did you submit? OtakuForLife didn't get his email either although we sent it 'cuz we did get his video. I can look it up for you if you want.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Waldo
Org Profile

Post by Waldo » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:46 pm

Vic summed things up pretty well. I was planning to make all the announcements and stuff myself but I forgot that MAG Fest was this weekend and I wouldn't be around to handle the last minute submissions. Hence some of you got emails from him instead of me.

This is my second time around running the AMV contest for Anime USA and I learned quite a bit from running it the first time. I can handle the logistics and planning, but I don't have the skills needed to handle the technical side of things very well so I asked Vic to help. He has far more experience when it comes to video compression and the like. Things that are paramount when it comes to assembling the videos for the contest. For those that attended last year, I think you can all remember the frequent "please wait for video calibration" messages that popped up on the projector when I tried showing the contest off my editing system when the main computer for the screening went kapput. We now have extra redundancy with three machines that have similar hardware and are all capabale of serving the contest. *crosses fingers*

When I first asked Vic to handle the tech side of things he was apprehensive since he wanted to enter the contest. We came up with a solution which consists of him having nothing to do with the voting process nor the final awards presentation. Hence you won't see him behind the computer queueing up the list of winners. I hope none of you mind how things were handled, but it you do, feel free to email me directly or PM me on the forum.
Omar Jenkins
Waldo's Magic Ink
Iron Editor Coordinator

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:39 pm

Woot!

Made the finals :up:

OtakuForLife
Org Profile

Post by OtakuForLife » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:26 am

Didn't make the guiltine this contest ether :)
Oh well, glad the video got recieved though...

Return to “AMV Contests”