Getting Seen (first video)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Formerly Wu
Org Profile

Getting Seen (first video)

Post by Formerly Wu » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:39 am

Hi, I'm new. :shock: ::dodges thrown pillows, flamethrowers and trained anti-n00b gorillas::

Anyway, ever since I got broadband I've loved AMVs. I don't think I need to go into why I think they're so cool, since if I'm here it should be obvious. :wink: Always wanted to make my own, too, but hardware and source material problems plagued me. That and I'm a great big lazy ass.

Well, those problems have been solved, and I'm about to premiere my first video. :D And no, it's not DBZ, Cowboy Bebop or Utena, it doesn't try to make funny lip-syncs (well... not for the whole song, anyway), and it doesn't have any half-assed attempts at digital effects whatsoever. :P The video is Alien Nine set to the Vines, "Outtathaway!", and is action-y and dark and (I think) pretty decent at both.

The problem is, it's not a series that many have seen (a crime, I say), and the video is spoilerlicious to boot. Plus I'm a huge n00b, so I'm not certain of its technical aspects, and I don't have the rep so that people will download it just because I made a new video. :? So the question is:

How do I get people to watch my video? How often are total n00b videos viewed? Will people watch a video with spoilers for a fairly low-profile (if extraordinarily good) series they've never seen? What is proper pimping procedure? Etcetera.

Glad to hear any advice you've got. :)

Katsumi_AMVs
Org Profile

Post by Katsumi_AMVs » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:56 am

Well you can get reviews for your video in the "opinion exchange" ,you ask to somebody make review in yours and you make a review in return :roll: ,don't forget to giv warnings about spoilers ,or you can search for free ops :wink:
Nothing usefull here .

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:14 pm

Post your link on this thread; this is just the sort of outta-the-park originality I was looking for.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:59 pm

Posting a notice in the AMV Announcements section is a good way to start. Also, many users check the New Video/New Download lists from time to time, so some might find your video that way (In general, if someone is looking there, they're usually not only looking for new stuff from the veteran creators; they're looking for new AMVs, period). And you'll probably find you get more hits (and downloads) if you have your own hosting and put up a direct link to the AMV. Just a few thoughts, anyways.

koronoru
Org Profile

Post by koronoru » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:06 pm

IcyCloud wrote:And you'll probably find you get more hits (and downloads) if you have your own hosting and put up a direct link to the AMV.
Indeed. The local hosting is nice for stability, but I've been really disappointed with the number of downloads I get that way, and disappointed when I handed out my video's database page to a bunch of non-member friends telling them, "Hey, download my video!" and found out that they couldn't. I think the waiting period and pledge-drive thing cause people to say, "ah, fuggit" instead of joining and donating. I donated, and I would have donated in any case, just to support Phade's efforts. If I had thought that I was donating specifically in order to get hosting, then I'd feel ripped off.

Formerly Wu
Org Profile

Post by Formerly Wu » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:15 pm

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I'll keep this stuff in mind. :)
IcyCloud wrote: Indeed. The local hosting is nice for stability, but I've been really disappointed with the number of downloads I get that way, and disappointed when I handed out my video's database page to a bunch of non-member friends telling them, "Hey, download my video!" and found out that they couldn't.
I figured this would be the case. At the moment I only have a Geocities site, which I presume wouldn't have nearly enough bandwidth to host a 60 meg movie file. What good hosting services would you recommend?

Getting a good host would actually help me double, because I'm looking to set up a website anyway.
-Wu

I am Naota's Gundam Hammer...

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:46 pm

Formerly Wu wrote:What good hosting services would you recommend ?
I'd recommend http://www.ipowerweb.com/; it's what I use. They have some good package deals, and offer lots of storage space and bandwidth.

gambitt
Org Profile

Post by gambitt » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:08 am

Don't listen to any of these people, do what I did. Review more than 100 AMVs, be the first person to complete your entire 100 favorite AMVs list, get your name in the site news of the home page any way you can, and then say in the Announcements forum, "I took a stab at all of you... now COME AND GET ME!!!"

Well ok you can't do all of that, but if you make a name for yourself just by meeting a few people around the Org, you'll get enough interest.

And hell, as proven time and time again, being an ass helps. There is no such thing as bad publicity.
Sata andagi!

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:24 pm

gambitt wrote:And hell, as proven time and time again, being an ass helps. There is no such thing as bad publicity.
Well... :|

I suppose.

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:13 pm

Corran Productions wrote:
gambitt wrote:And hell, as proven time and time again, being an ass helps. There is no such thing as bad publicity.
Well... :|

I suppose.
KA-POW!!! ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Return to “General AMV”