Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 5:23 pm

Nappy wrote:Man, and I thought the clap-o-meter was flawed @_@ Are you saying that the winners were chosen by only 3 judges and 2 were japanese o_O ,glad my vid didn't rely too much on lyrics :P
Was their even a averaging between the pre-judges and the final judges? And why is there so much confusion on who the finalist/winners are @_@
and 2nd vids auto dropped boooo, course theres only 3 finalists so I can understand >:P
Like I said earlier, our judging (creator's), in this case, was pretty much disregarded. We have no say in the final judging...just the finalists (and in this case that got screwed up too since they didn't get our notes and just a tape with 15 videos). And as you see, the 2/3 judges not being experienced enough doesn't help.

Yeah, it sucks about the 2nd video being auto-dropped, since mine was too, but I understand since there were 105 entries and this allows more creators to have at least one video.

Oh well...there's always next year. It's just an award right?
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Post by RichLather » Tue May 20, 2003 7:07 pm

dwchang wrote: Theme: (the 80's)
Three Finalists:
1) Glory of Love by dwchang
2) Back to the Future by Unknown
3) The Kids are Back by RichLather (Note: Not positive this is the video, it's the only Twisted Sister/Akira video on the .org).
Winner: Back to the Future by Unknown
Wow, no shit? I don't ever remember entering it. :D

Lemme ask this... did the Colonel lip synch "the kids are back", and did the video open with Kaneda using the jukebox? If so, that'd be mine.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 7:12 pm

RichLather wrote:
dwchang wrote: Theme: (the 80's)
Three Finalists:
1) Glory of Love by dwchang
2) Back to the Future by Unknown
3) The Kids are Back by RichLather (Note: Not positive this is the video, it's the only Twisted Sister/Akira video on the .org).
Winner: Back to the Future by Unknown
Wow, no shit? I don't ever remember entering it. :D

Lemme ask this... did the Colonel lip synch "the kids are back", and did the video open with Kaneda using the jukebox? If so, that'd be mine.
Yes and yes...I liked it quite a bit actually. I also think the judges do...hell it was up for finalist.
-Daniel

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Tue May 20, 2003 7:16 pm

Swank. 1989 editing (with a few 2003 tweaks) is more than capable of holding its own.

ShonenDizzyCow
Org Profile

Post by ShonenDizzyCow » Tue May 20, 2003 9:12 pm

Wow. Being in the same category as Euphoria? Surreal. :shock:

Congrats to all the winners, finalists and honorable mentions.

Thanks to those who enjoyed my vid, I hope it didn't deny a more deserving finalist/winner, due to any possible 'confusion' in judging. :roll:

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed May 21, 2003 3:22 am

I went ahead and added this data to the contest lists page (see the link on my sig line). I'm a little confused about some of what I've read here. If there are any errors or omissions, let me know by posting here or by PM.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed May 21, 2003 7:00 am

Nappy wrote:Man, and I thought the clap-o-meter was flawed @_@ Are you saying that the winners were chosen by only 3 judges and 2 were japanese o_O ,glad my vid didn't rely too much on lyrics :P
Was their even a averaging between the pre-judges and the final judges? And why is there so much confusion on who the finalist/winners are @_@
and 2nd vids auto dropped boooo, course theres only 3 finalists so I can understand >:P
Nope, as Dan said the pre-final-judging appears to have only served to narrow down the pool of videos that the final judges saw (from 3 hours to about an hour, I believe). The confusion as to what the final winners are is in part I think due to the fact that beyond the quick announcing of them during the final showing of the contest on Sunday afternoon there has been no official posting or announcing of them. (this was something else I thought sucked and I hope changes next year- I think the winners should have been announced/recognized in front of a major venue/event instead of in one of the live programming rooms half an hour before Closing Ceremonies started. If I hadn't seen and asked Julius what was going on with the awards, I wouldn't have known they were going to be announced then.)

If did kind of suck the secondary videos were cut, but I think it was a reasonable way to help get the contest down to the time it needed to be- the rules said that there was a good chance the secondary video would be cut due to time, so it shouldn't have been a real surprise. This way, the most number of people got their videos in the contest instead of 1/3 to 1/2 less people's vids making the contest. What was nice was that a number of the videos that were cut from the actual contest for various reasons were shown during the AMV Iron Chef competition (including your "Can't Stop the Rock" video, Nappy- which the crowd loved).

Rich- Yup, I'm about 99.9% sure it was your video... it had your logo superimposed in the bottom right near the end.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Wed May 21, 2003 11:07 am

My poor Sasami vid got no love there. :cry:

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed May 21, 2003 11:38 am

TaranT wrote:I went ahead and added this data to the contest lists page (see the link on my sig line). I'm a little confused about some of what I've read here. If there are any errors or omissions, let me know by posting here or by PM.
Basically you have it right. The part where you divided it into the "three entries" is basically the finalists for each category. There were a good 105 entries that were cut down to around 50 entries for the actual contest. Of those, the three listed were the finalists. Make sense? The confusion about judging is something else entirely.
-Daniel

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed May 21, 2003 11:41 am

Ashyukun wrote:What was nice was that a number of the videos that were cut from the actual contest for various reasons were shown during the AMV Iron Chef competition (including your "Can't Stop the Rock" video, Nappy- which the crowd loved).

Rich- Yup, I'm about 99.9% sure it was your video... it had your logo superimposed in the bottom right near the end.
Which I didn't get to see since I was editing :(. They even showed that FF8 song (only text) video Quu mentioned and...I didn't get to see that either :(.

BTW Rich, just a suggestion, but I'd suggest not doing that for ACen. A lot of videos were cut for well...not following the rules. I don't think anyone realized (other than Ashyukun) that it was something tied to you, but basically at ACen they don't want anything on your vid that can tie it to you. They make bumpers for that. Basically it gives an unfair advantage, so all videos are instead made to look equal (with the bumpers).
-Daniel

Return to “AMV Contests”