ACen 2003 Iron Chef Post

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

ACen 2003 Iron Chef Post

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 3:52 pm

Well since there is no love, I guess I'll post about this. I didn't want to since well...I was the challenger and it looks really bad, but well...people have asked about it.

ACen's Iron Chef took place last saturday with the Iron Chef [Edited at wish - #4423] (Outlawed Productions) against myself (Ninja Gaijin Productions).

The ingredients were:
-Patlabor the Movie I
-Armitage III: Dual Matrix
-Battle Angel
-Macross: Do You Remember Love?
-Gundam: Char's Counter-Attack

The Secret Ingredient was:
-The Iron Giant

After a long 2 hour hard-felt battle, I came out on top (see why it looks bad having me post this? ^_^). It was a good match and hopefully the audience was thoroughly entertained by our antics, videos and more importantly the banter between the panel of guests. I have heard from the coordinator that it was *very* successful since we had the entire room (200 - 300 people) filled with standing room only. O_o Honestly? I wouldn't know since I was fairly focused.

I must say that it was quite exhilerating hearing the audience clapping to the beat the second time they showed my video and I thank you for your support (although there were like only 5 - 6 ppl that were there and read this).

Suffice to say, it was a lot of fun and I look forward to defending next year. I have been told by the coordinator that I will receive a copy of my video in the coming week and I will post it when I do.

Also, thanks ***/Outlaw for a good challenge and good luck with your future endeavors.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: ACen 2003 Iron Chef Post

Post by trythil » Tue May 20, 2003 4:44 pm

dwchang wrote: After a long 2 hour hard-felt battle, I came out on top
dwchang wrote: It was a good match and hopefully the audience was thoroughly entertained by our antics
It's La Blue Girl Iron Chef! :shock:

Seriously, great work Dan...and if you ever call that video "10 seconds of crap", I will beat you down :P

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 4:51 pm

trythil wrote:
It's La Blue Girl Iron Chef! :shock:

Seriously, great work Dan...and if you ever call that video "10 seconds of crap", I will beat you down :P
When did I call it 10 seconds of crap? It was a minute and 32 seconds of crap :ducks: :-P In all seriousness though, I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I must say that Quu's ingredient only helped. I was under the impression that it is usually difficult to integrate and whatnot, but well...I guess I lucked out.

BTW I think I should state this now since I've noticed people calling me it, but...I am DANIEL while the Iron Chef was Dan Miliken. Just figured I'd point that out since HE is Dan and I am Daniel. It was the only way to distuingish us and hell...I hate being called Dan :-P
-Daniel

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Tue May 20, 2003 6:17 pm

i pick engredients that should be able to work togethor in different ways

yours was light hearted anf fun... Dan's was more somber and serious...

both used the same engredients beautifully
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 6:20 pm

Quu wrote:i pick engredients that should be able to work togethor in different ways

yours was light hearted anf fun... Dan's was more somber and serious...

both used the same engredients beautifully
Next time I see you, I'm gonna buy you a drink. I know on more than one occassion I talked about my ideas about "fun" and "heart" and I know you couldn't say anything and I know you picked the ingredient beforehand, but well...I'm still eternally grateful since it fit so perfectly. So in conclusion, I'll buy you a drink for...well...inadvertently picking a great ingredient for me :).
-Daniel

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue May 20, 2003 7:06 pm

Yeah, I think after tokyo babylon, Quu's ingerdients have been pretty on the ball :)

Ideally at awa I'd like to try and do a video just using the secret ingredient - that would be the ultimate challenge for me but it really depends on seeing the thing already. I'd have been in heaven with the iron giant but I've no idea what the amvfather has in store for awa in terms of theme etc, so we'll see.

It's incredibly unlikely that I'd use just the secret ingredient but I'd like to see someone try it once ^_^;;

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Tue May 20, 2003 8:54 pm

My vid:
Music: Fade to Blue by Gary Hoey (edited to shorter length)
Footage: Battle Angel, Macross DYRL, Gundam Char's Counterattack, Armitage, Iron Giant

(I haven't seen you mention what you used Daniel...you should type that in this thread)

I considered trying to focus almost entirely on Iron Giant after scrubbing it, but seeing as how I had not seen Iron Giant I'm glad I didn't try that. In the end the 3 key scenes from it that came into my mind worked well enough to underly that I was trying to highlight it.

I had some general phrasing thoughts on moods I could make with the music I brought but had no plan with regards to the announced ingredients. In the end I went on the fly and did an instrumental and tried to only get robots in the scenes if at all possible.

First thing I did do though was skim through Iron Giant footage for clips I thought I might be able to use. Then picked the song. Then edited the song down from 5:50 or so to 4:30 and then to 1:45. Boy am I glad I didn't leave it at 4:30. I was thinking "hey I can do this". Later I realized that yes while I could do it, long clips would have become old real fast. I think I began to lay down some stuff into the timeline about 30min into the contest. I concentrated on 4 key scenes that I had in mind after skimming the IronG footage (3) and Battle Angel (1). Then constructed the video around that. I focused on Macross and Gundam for filling in. Then when I had about 45min left I began adding Patlabor (hadn't seen but I am familiar with Oshii so I just went straight to the last couple captures for footage hehe). Then in the last 15 minutes I added in the Armitage scene. I probably could have found something better from Armitage to put there but I hadn't watched it yet and didn't feel like scrubbing all the files. Then continued to tighten stuff up and then time was over.

So it was a lot of fun. I think both Daniel and I were equally suprised at the different directions of our AMV's.

However, I was saddened that Quu did not bust out some 1960's or 1970's shoujo for the secret ingredient...^_^. I was looking forward to using some Jazz violin with mechs and shoujo hehe.

I think I will remember this AMV but for different reasons than my others. The others are usually because of the concept I put together but here I think it will be more for the association with such a fun experience. Thanks to Patrick and the whole crew for running the show.

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Tue May 20, 2003 8:56 pm

trythil wrote: It's La Blue Girl Iron Chef! :shock:
Not as shocking as one would think. I could do that easily.

hehe

Is a HHH Volume 2 in the works? Only time can tell.....
But I can guarantee it won't use Celine Dion.

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Tue May 20, 2003 8:58 pm

outlawed wrote:My vid:
Footage: Battle Angel, Macross DYRL, Gundam Char's Counterattack, Armitage, Iron Giant
And Patlabor Movie 1. Damn...we need edit on here.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 10:26 pm

outlawed wrote:My vid:

(I haven't seen you mention what you used Daniel...you should type that in this thread)
Music: Young Forever
Artist: Rebecca
Footage: Iron Giant, Battle Angel, Armitage III, Macross: DYRL, Patlabor and Gundam: Char's Counter-Attack

Won't be writing much about the video creation just yet. I need to see it again and then it'll all come back to me. I basically went for a happy video and the song was very upbeat. Surprising since well..the theme was robots and robots generally = action and whatnot and I tried to avoid that.

Suffice to say, my video used robots in a very different way then your video and I think it really added to the "flavor" of the contest that we had different videos.

I will write a description once I get a copy and can recall all the things I did.
-Daniel

Return to “AMV Contests”