Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Post by dwchang » Mon May 19, 2003 11:40 pm

First off, BIG WARNING, I am not 100% positive on these results, but I am FAIRLY SURE on them.

Tryhil, Ashyukun, Koop and so on: if something is wrong PLEASE correct me.

First off, there were 105 entries and it was a VERY talented contest. It was difficult in itself to find three finalists for each category. All of you should be proud of yourselves.

Comedy:
Three Finalists:
1) The Chibi Things (that Kill) by Nappy
2) Who Let the Fro's Out by Ashyukun
3) Pokemon Never Die by Metro
Winner: The Chibi Things (that Kill) by Nappy

Theme: (the 80's)
Three Finalists:
1) Glory of Love by dwchang
2) Back to the Future by Unknown
3) The Kids are Back by RichLather (Note: Not positive this is the video, it's the only Twisted Sister/Akira video on the .org).
Winner: Back to the Future by Unknown

Action:
Three Finalists:
1) Midnight by Croik
2) Devil Within by Phreakazoid187
3) Phenomenon by Rubyeye
Winner: Phenomenon by Rubyeye

Drama:
Three Finalists:
1) My Fading Voice, Your Distant Heart by ShonenDizzyCow
2) Euphoria by Koopiskeva
3) Forever and Before by Jal0021
Winner: My Fading Voice, Your Distant Heart by ShonenDizzyCow

Original Concept:
Three Finalists:
1) Behind the Music: Black Heaven by Studio Hybrid
2) Who Let the Fro's Out by Ashyukun (Note: Unsure on this one)
3) The Animatrix Reloaded by You Choose Sam, the Rest
Winner: Behind the Music: Black Heaven by Studio Hybrid

Technical:
Three Finalists:
1) The Chibi Things (that Kill) by Nappy
2) Euphoria by Koopiskeva
3) Who Let the Fro's Out by Ashyukun
Winner: Euphoria by Koopiskeva

Best of Show:
Three Finalists:
1) Euphoria by Koopiskeva
2) Glory of Love by dwchang
3) The Chibi Things (that Kill) by Nappy
Winner: Midnight by Croik

(Note: I do not at ALL understand how this video won when it was not nominated.)

I am sure quite a few of you have a few things to say, so feel free. Hopefully we can answer questions. I am also sure a few other things will come up and hopefully we can figure that out too.

Hope this helps!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

jal0021
Org Profile

Post by jal0021 » Mon May 19, 2003 11:56 pm

Ha! "Forever and Before" made the finals? Wow...I'm actually quite surprised. I never really thought of it as a contest-friendly video. It's good to see "My Fading Voice, Your Distant Heart" win, though. That's become one of my favorite videos.

Congrats to all the other finalists/winners. Time to start downloading some of the videos I haven't seen yet...
-Jeff Lawson | <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... id=295">My Profile</a>

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon May 19, 2003 11:58 pm

jal0021 wrote:Ha! "Forever and Before" made the finals? Wow...I'm actually quite surprised. I never really thought of it as a contest-friendly video. It's good to see "My Fading Voice, Your Distant Heart" win, though. That's become one of my favorite videos.

Congrats to all the other finalists/winners. Time to start downloading some of the videos I haven't seen yet...
Your video was well...dramatic...that's what Drama is :). I might also add that drama was EASILY the strongest category this year.

I am however disappointed to say that Tryhil's Always video got cut.

BTW off-topic, but you live in TX. I live in Austin...and yet I'm the Iron Chef for a con in the Midwest :-P
-Daniel

Vancore
Org Profile

Post by Vancore » Tue May 20, 2003 12:10 am

hmm.. I think Midnight actually won in the action catagory and it was Phenomenon which won best Overall. I'm pretty sure The Animatrix reloaded won best concept or at least won something (Maybe it was an honorable mention).
Well I also could be wrong on these as well, but the other wins seemed right to me. Thank you for providing the links tho, I've got me some downloading to do.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 12:15 am

Vancore wrote:hmm.. I think Midnight actually won in the action catagory and it was Phenomenon which won best Overall. I'm pretty sure The Animatrix reloaded won best concept or at least won something (Maybe it was an honorable mention).
Well I also could be wrong on these as well, but the other wins seemed right to me. Thank you for providing the links tho, I've got me some downloading to do.
I am 100% sure on Midnight and Phenomenon. As for Animatrix, I am 99.9% that it was Black Heaven as well.

Honorable Mentions were: Always, an Utena video, Who Let the Fros out and....something else :-P
-Daniel

Metro
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Post by Metro » Tue May 20, 2003 12:31 am

dwchang wrote:Comedy:
Three Finalists:
...3) Pokemon Never Die by Metro...
Talk about a surprise. I didn't even enter Pokemon Never Die into the contest :shock:

I supposedly entered Everyday and Glory. I screwed up uploading everyday, but I thought it got fixed.

Also I was told that pwolf's Mitternacht was the overall winner?

Vancore
Org Profile

Post by Vancore » Tue May 20, 2003 12:43 am

dwchang wrote: Honorable Mentions were: Always, an Utena video, Who Let the Fros out and....something else :-P
Speaking of not showing in the contest, Always and the Utena videos didn't even make it into the contest but won honorable mentions. I thought that was a bit strange. They were good videos tho.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 12:55 am

Vancore wrote:
dwchang wrote: Honorable Mentions were: Always, an Utena video, Who Let the Fros out and....something else :-P
Speaking of not showing in the contest, Always and the Utena videos didn't even make it into the contest but won honorable mentions. I thought that was a bit strange. They were good videos tho.

Damn I was really hoping some other ppl would reply and not JUST me since it looks bad, but basically....

Creators do the first round of judging to get finalists. We specifically added these videos to honorable mention b/c well...it was an injustice they were taken out in the first place. As for the FINAL judging...this is something I disagree with since the Guests get those finalists per category and choose out of them. I won't go into more details until well..HOPEFULLY others reply. This contest judging was NOT without mistakes....
-Daniel

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2003 Finalists and Winners

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 1:01 am

Metro wrote:
dwchang wrote:Comedy:
Three Finalists:
...3) Pokemon Never Die by Metro...
Talk about a surprise. I didn't even enter Pokemon Never Die into the contest :shock:

I supposedly entered Everyday and Glory. I screwed up uploading everyday, but I thought it got fixed.

Also I was told that pwolf's Mitternacht was the overall winner?
Well reading Croik's description of his video, he writes that he won best overall. All I know is it was a Hellsing video to a song like "midnight' or "mitternacht." As I said at the top I am not 100%, but in this one...well..it is hellsing and the guy does say that he won.
-Daniel

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue May 20, 2003 1:27 am

Forgot one of the awards

Staff:
Finalists
1) Public Service Announcement by SailorDeath
2) Without GTO by pmfreak
3) Unsure of the title, but it was a Vandread video to an Evanescence (sp) song by Frank Sanchez (ACen co-chair)
Winner: The Vandread video by Frank Sanchez.
-Daniel

Return to “AMV Contests”